• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 nathanatfork OFFLINE  

nathanatfork

• Member No: 8163
  • 5 Thanks
  • 51 posts

Posted January 11, 2012 - 07:05 PM

On top of the engine on my 1982 JD 400, there is a rectangle flat cover on the left side top of the motor that has a bolt in the middle holding it on. As I run, it slowly seeps around the bolt head and I believe around the end of the cover as well. I just looked through the engine service manual and do not see that in there. Anyone know what it is?>

I took off all the body panels and engine covers today to blow out all the cooling fins on the engine and to look everything over. I have my hyd sight tube and filter order and should have them in thursday so I can change out the hyd fluid and filter. I put a little seafoam in the gas, and havent changed out the oil as it looks good. Got a new tire put on the front. SO, after I get the hyd fluid changed, and figure out what this little cover is for on the eingine, the only thing Ill still have to deal with is the locked up left brake linkage. Ive been soaking it down with PB blaster twice a day and it hasnt budged yet. Was hoping I wouldnt have to take it apart but looks like thats what Im gonna have to do.

#2 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,653 Thanks
  • 29,841 posts

Posted January 11, 2012 - 07:07 PM

That is one of 2 valve covers. There is one on top of each cylinder. It has a simple gasket. The bolt uses a crush washer for sealing.

#3 nathanatfork OFFLINE  

nathanatfork

• 5 Thanks
  • 51 posts

Posted January 11, 2012 - 08:12 PM

Aaahh. Thanks! I didnt see a gasket on the bolt, Ill put a new one on and tighten it down and hopefully that will do it and I wont have to get a new gasket for the cover.

Hopefully by this weekend, Ill have everything done on this thing.

#4 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted January 12, 2012 - 05:11 AM

Sounds like you are making good progress Nathan. Keep us informed on how it's going.

#5 nathanatfork OFFLINE  

nathanatfork

• 5 Thanks
  • 51 posts

Posted January 13, 2012 - 09:55 PM

Picked up my parts today. Got my new sight tube with filter installed on the transaxle. Picked up a new fuel filter and changed that out. Also picked up a new hyd filter and 6 qts of JD low viscosity hygard. Took me forever to get the old hyd filter off, man was that thing stuck on there. Got all the old hyd fluid drained out and that stuff was a very veery dark brown. Must have been a while since it was changed out.

At that point it got dark so Ill put the new hyd filter and fluid in tomorrow. Only thing left after that will be to work on that frozen brake and to deal with the leaking valve cover! And, I need to post a picture.

#6 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,320 Thanks
  • 28,640 posts

Posted January 13, 2012 - 11:48 PM

Thanks for the update, and we :love::camera:

#7 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted January 14, 2012 - 07:20 AM

Sounds good Nathan. Sometimes with some models you won't be able to get the required amount of fluid into the hydro in one shot. If an air lock happens you will need to run the hydro a bit to get the rest of it in. On my 314 it took me 3 tries to get it all in. Check the power train document I sent you to see if there are instructions for filling it. Since the fluid was so dark you might want to short change it again after say 10 to 50 hrs.

#8 nathanatfork OFFLINE  

nathanatfork

• 5 Thanks
  • 51 posts

Posted January 20, 2012 - 11:41 PM

I got the hyd fluid in ok. Have the fluid about half way up the sight tube.

Started on the brakes and just cant get it. I took the main boddy panel with the seat off, removed the cotter pins holding the brake pedal assemblies on and took the whole right brake pedal off. The left brake pedal will not budge. Have it unhooked on the left side of the tractor as well. The rod that goes across the body from the left brake pedal to the left side linkagew is frozen solid. I sprayed with ton of pb blaster and beat on it all with a hammer for an hour. Cant get anything else to budge, cant remove the rod, its just stuck.
Any ideas??

#9 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted January 21, 2012 - 07:31 AM

Have you looked at the parts diagrams to see how the shaft is held in place. There could be a pin or something that you can't readily see. I have 2 other suggestions, adding a bit of heat would help but clean the area thoroughly first to avoid any chance of something catching fire. The other thing is to put the pedal back on and try a turning motion using the pedal to increase your leverage. Be careful not to apply too much force. These things can be stubborn and patience is needed. I'd heat it and try to move it then after it cooled I'd spray it again and let it sit then heat again. Eventually it will come loose.

#10 nathanatfork OFFLINE  

nathanatfork

• 5 Thanks
  • 51 posts

Posted January 21, 2012 - 01:18 PM

I havent been able to find a parts diagram or service manual that shows the brakes online. Did see some for sale but they are EXPENSIVE.

#11 Gary400 OFFLINE  

Gary400

JD,junkie

• Contributor
  • Member No: 2316
  • 225 Thanks
  • 768 posts

Posted January 21, 2012 - 01:58 PM

maybe this will help

Attached Thumbnails

• 01-21-2012 12;52;19PM.jpg
  • 01-21-2012 12;53;41PM.jpg

#12 nathanatfork OFFLINE  

nathanatfork

• 5 Thanks
  • 51 posts

Posted January 21, 2012 - 05:53 PM

Thank you for the diagram! In the second picture, #19 is what I cant budge. Cant hget it to pull out or turn at all.

#13 Gary400 OFFLINE  

Gary400

JD,junkie

• Contributor
  • Member No: 2316
  • 225 Thanks
  • 768 posts

Posted January 21, 2012 - 11:27 PM

ill take a look at mine tomorrow and see if i can see a way to help you to get it broke loose . this way i can see how it works and moves .

#14 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted January 22, 2012 - 06:52 AM

Just a thought. The emergency brake isn't jammed on is it. In the second drawing it is the parts starting at no.1 in the upper left of the diagram. That interlock to the drive speed handle can be a source of problems if it gets seized.

#15 nathanatfork OFFLINE  

nathanatfork

• 5 Thanks
  • 51 posts

Posted January 22, 2012 - 03:48 PM

I can engage and disengage the parking knob. And, looking into the slot on the hyd drive lever I can seee the interlock engage and disengage on the shift linkage.