• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 reddsky OFFLINE  

reddsky

• Member No: 8158
  • 0 Thanks
  • 22 posts

Posted January 10, 2012 - 02:38 PM

This is a one owner well maintained, new blades John Deere L130 with 235 hrs. It was purchased brand new, but owners decided to move back to Canada. It was used on approximately 2 acres flat land here in TX. It has the 20hp Kohler Command Twin, hydrostatic transmission. $850

Would love to hear opinions!! Thanks! :smile1: (I currently own a Craftsman with the same engine & have had no problems with the engine, but now having transmission issues so may need to purchase a replacement)

#2 Texas Deere and Horse OFFLINE  

Texas Deere and Horse

RED Wild Hogs, Horses & Deeres

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1435
  • 14,464 Thanks
  • 15,392 posts

Posted January 10, 2012 - 03:12 PM

Welcome to GTtalk, Glad you joined us. I would try to buy it for less money if I could. 850.00 will buy you a good used Garden Tractor here in TX.. It just depends on what you are wanting to do, yard work only or have the option of tilling and plowing..

#3 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted January 10, 2012 - 03:43 PM

It would make a good lawnmower but the price seems a bit high. If you want to do more than mow then I would look for something more substantial.

#4 reddsky OFFLINE  

reddsky

• 0 Thanks
  • 22 posts

Posted January 10, 2012 - 04:08 PM

Welcome to GTtalk, Glad you joined us. I would try to buy it for less money if I could. 850.00 will buy you a good used Garden Tractor here in TX.. It just depends on what you are wanting to do, yard work only or have the option of tilling and plowing..

Thank you for your response. I spoke with the owner and he's not willing to budge on the price. I will only be mowing approximately .75ac around my barn which is always kept mowed. I see you are from TX. I am in SW FTW. Can you recommend where I might find something for a reasonable price? I have a New Holland to do my pastures and a lawn service for the sodded 1ac around the house. I have no problem driving a bit of a distance and I have loading ramp for my truck. Thank you!

#5 reddsky OFFLINE  

reddsky

• 0 Thanks
  • 22 posts

Posted January 10, 2012 - 04:09 PM

It would make a good lawnmower but the price seems a bit high. If you want to do more than mow then I would look for something more substantial.

Thank you! Looks like I am back on the hunt.

#6 Texas Deere and Horse OFFLINE  

Texas Deere and Horse

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 14,464 Thanks
  • 15,392 posts

Posted January 10, 2012 - 04:34 PM

I would look for a 200 / 300 series JD. or Bolens, Cub Cadet, A/C- Simplicity. Look for something with a heavy duty rear axle. Hydrostatic trans is always a plus, but gear drive have their plus's too. I just like the older cast iron stuff, it lasts forever and is easy to work on.

#7 reddsky OFFLINE  

reddsky

• 0 Thanks
  • 22 posts

Posted January 10, 2012 - 04:57 PM

I would look for a 200 / 300 series JD. or Bolens, Cub Cadet, A/C- Simplicity. Look for something with a heavy duty rear axle. Hydrostatic trans is always a plus, but gear drive have their plus's too. I just like the older cast iron stuff, it lasts forever and is easy to work on.

Okay, thanks for the advice.

#8 js5020 OFFLINE  

js5020

• Member No: 7086
  • 541 Thanks
  • 677 posts

Posted January 10, 2012 - 05:15 PM

Im gonna be on the other side of the fence,,,, price looks totally in line with other offerings of that model from the selections currently available at Tractor House, in fact they have a few listed 03s at more coin. Just mowing flat grounnd, it will run rings around a gear machine and if its in good shape you wont need to work on it before/while using it. I have some old stuff around here cause I like it, but if you dont like to tinker or cant, newer is the ticket, and for mowing hydro is nice,, I was a gear guy, but bought a JD X300R with the hydro and there will never be a mower here with a gear tranny again.

#9 Texas Deere and Horse OFFLINE  

Texas Deere and Horse

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 14,464 Thanks
  • 15,392 posts

Posted January 10, 2012 - 05:21 PM

I mow with a JD 140 and a Wheel Horse Auto 14. They never fail to start or not do any of the jobs I ask them to do around my place. But, it's all up to you on what you really want in a tractor..

#10 reddsky OFFLINE  

reddsky

• 0 Thanks
  • 22 posts

Posted January 10, 2012 - 05:57 PM

Im gonna be on the other side of the fence,,,, price looks totally in line with other offerings of that model from the selections currently available at Tractor House, in fact they have a few listed 03s at more coin. Just mowing flat grounnd, it will run rings around a gear machine and if its in good shape you wont need to work on it before/while using it. I have some old stuff around here cause I like it, but if you dont like to tinker or cant, newer is the ticket, and for mowing hydro is nice,, I was a gear guy, but bought a JD X300R with the hydro and there will never be a mower here with a gear tranny again.

I found the same thus far on the price, but then I can only go on what I find online. My hubby is very mechanically astute, but his business requires him to be out of town a lot so I fly solo most of the time. I don't like to 'tinker' nor could I if I desired :confuse: so newer will have to do. My present mower is hydrostatic, the one previous was not. I like the hydrostatic too. I have several areas that require stop, go, reverse, go. I am going to see if I can purge the air in my transmission (guys in Craftsman forum helped me w/that!) and see if that will fix my present issue w/Craftsman. If not, I will be shopping.

Thank you for taking the time to reply. Everyone is so helpful on here! :worshippy1:

#11 reddsky OFFLINE  

reddsky

• 0 Thanks
  • 22 posts

Posted January 10, 2012 - 06:02 PM

I mow with a JD 140 and a Wheel Horse Auto 14. They never fail to start or not do any of the jobs I ask them to do around my place. But, it's all up to you on what you really want in a tractor..

Thanks. My needs are rather simple e.g. be able to mow a flat area approx. .50-.75ac around my barn that has grass with a few trees, shrubs to mow around. Mowing once/wk. March-October We maintain our mowers (belts, blades, oil, air filter etc.) and they are stored inside.

#12 Tmo OFFLINE  

Tmo

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 2023
  • 356 Thanks
  • 486 posts

Posted January 10, 2012 - 07:26 PM

If it's a L130, then it's not a 2008. 2007 was the last year for a L130. That model uses the K46 transmission, which is fine for mowing, but if the previous owner used the tractor to pull a cart, or other related chores, the transmission might be suspect now, as the K46 were light duty transmission just made for mowing. Price, to me, seems to be in line with what I see here, and in fact might be a little lower than some on Craig's list. If you go to machinefinder.com, you can find other L130s with similar hours and compare those prices. Test drive the tractor and if you have a hill, drive it up that hill to see if the transmission struggles or makes any loud noises or whines more (a little whine is okay). Check condition of deck to see if it's been abused, maintain properly, as well as the engine. Look for any oil build up on the engine. Those also have a filmsy steering wheel support, so check to see if the steering wheel is still tight in the dash. Check front end for slop in the spindles. Check to see if there is any evidence of leaks underneath the transmission and axle seals.

As mentioned, there are better machines out there, but the L-series were fine mowers if not abused.

#13 Gary400 OFFLINE  

Gary400

JD,junkie

• Contributor
  • Member No: 2316
  • 225 Thanks
  • 768 posts

Posted January 10, 2012 - 09:27 PM

i had a L130 and used it 4 years and never had a problem with it . as long as you use it for what it was made for and dont abuse it is a fine MOWER . as Tmo has said just check it out close .

#14 reddsky OFFLINE  

reddsky

• 0 Thanks
  • 22 posts

Posted January 11, 2012 - 10:18 AM

If it's a L130, then it's not a 2008. 2007 was the last year for a L130. That model uses the K46 transmission, which is fine for mowing, but if the previous owner used the tractor to pull a cart, or other related chores, the transmission might be suspect now, as the K46 were light duty transmission just made for mowing. Price, to me, seems to be in line with what I see here, and in fact might be a little lower than some on Craig's list. If you go to machinefinder.com, you can find other L130s with similar hours and compare those prices. Test drive the tractor and if you have a hill, drive it up that hill to see if the transmission struggles or makes any loud noises or whines more (a little whine is okay). Check condition of deck to see if it's been abused, maintain properly, as well as the engine. Look for any oil build up on the engine. Those also have a filmsy steering wheel support, so check to see if the steering wheel is still tight in the dash. Check front end for slop in the spindles. Check to see if there is any evidence of leaks underneath the transmission and axle seals.

As mentioned, there are better machines out there, but the L-series were fine mowers if not abused.

Thanks for the advice. Much appreciated. :smile1:

#15 reddsky OFFLINE  

reddsky

• 0 Thanks
  • 22 posts

Posted January 11, 2012 - 10:20 AM

i had a L130 and used it 4 years and never had a problem with it . as long as you use it for what it was made for and dont abuse it is a fine MOWER . as Tmo has said just check it out close .

Thank you for responding. Sounds like this one may be at least worth checking out. Appreciate your time. :smile1: