• Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,653 Thanks
  • 29,841 posts

Posted February 05, 2010 - 10:40 PM

"THIS IS TRUE", and kinda long.....I made some decals a few years ago for a Bush Hog D4-10. Knew I wasn't even close to restoring mine, so put the decals on ebay. They sold & I was excited.....then I saw buyer had a Bush Hog Corporation email address. OH CRAP.....figured I was in a heep of trouble for copyright infraction! I was sweating bullets!
So I emailed the buyer, and was SHOCKED to find out they were doing a complete restore on a D4-10. They bought MY decals to go on their restore! I asked why they wanted my decals when I know they have much better in-house graphics. She said they were getting as much public involvement as possible in the restore & stumbled on my decals, so they bought them. I was thrilled, but it got better! It was to be displayed at the Louisville National Farm Machinery Show Feb of 2007! That's just a tad over an hour's drive from me.
It still got better....it was a few months till the show and they called me on the phone & requested I be sure to come to the show as they wanted to meet me....and I them! Then they asked if I would make more decals for the 42" Trail Mower & others for a cultivator & turn plow. I told them email me sizes they wanted & I sent the extra ones free of charge.
Then I get a big box from them a couple weeks later. Inside was a Bush Hog winter coat, hat, Bush Hog pen & penlight set, 2 different die cast scale Bush Hog mowers, T-shirt, and more. But the best part was a cast emblem NOS "Bush Hog" that goes on the D4-10 front grille.(you can see in pics) They knew I had everything for a complete restore except for the emblem.(We had corresponded a lot during this time), so they had extra & wanted me to have one. The President of Bush Hog Corp. thanked me personally at the show. I had the flu, but HAD to go to the show....only my heart stopping would have stopped me from being there. The smaller guy is Dawson H. with whom I did most of my emailing back & forth. I'm the taller fat guy! LOL This was such an exciting few months of events. I still keep in touch with Dawson from time to time.
OK...I've talked enough, so here are the pics!

Attached Thumbnails

• DSC00077.jpg
  • DSC00070.jpg
  • DSC00082.jpg
  • DSC00074.jpg
  • DSC00069.jpg
  • DSC00079.jpg
  • DSC00086.jpg
  • DSC00083.jpg
  • DSC00072.jpg
  • DSC00080.jpg
  • DSC00088.jpg
  • DSC00073.jpg
  • DSC00087.jpg
  • DSC00075.jpg
  • DSC00081.jpg
  • DSC00066.jpg
  • DSC00076.jpg
  • DSC00071.jpg
  • DSC00084.jpg
  • DSC00078.jpg
  • DSC00085.jpg
  • DSC00067.jpg

• NUTNDUN, caseguy, KBear and 1 other said thanks

#2 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 3
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted February 06, 2010 - 11:31 AM

OMG, that's an awesome story. Nothing like having a benchmark or achievement like that. :urock:

I sent it to the front page :D

#3 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,653 Thanks
  • 29,841 posts

Posted February 06, 2010 - 11:56 AM

The surprising thing is I gave them bits of info they did not have! They had sent me progress pics during their restoration. I noticed they didn't have a muffler shield, so I sent them a pic & they went hunting. They found one from a retired Bush Hog employee. Same place they found the NOS cast grill emblems. They even gave my phone # with my permission to some people that contacted them for info on the defunct line of tractors. I had done a lot of research & evidently had more info than they even had. Sadly, when Bush Hog stopped production in the early to mid 70's......they destroyed ALL documentation, so all the manufacturing dates & the like were gone. The best we can do to date tractors is through engine serial #'s. But on the ones with Wisconsin engines, the DOM on them are missing for several of the years. The ones with Briggs...the JB models are easily dated by engine #'s. We have dialed in some of the ones with Wisconsin engines through a couple owners who have all the original paperwork from date of purchase.
And I gotta say, I was stoked to the max for months before the machinery show & some time after......still am, just not as excited as I was at the time. I think I drove my family crazy at the time! LOL

#4 tweidman OFFLINE  

tweidman

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5
  • 250 Thanks
  • 797 posts

Posted February 06, 2010 - 12:15 PM

The surprising thing is I gave them bits of info they did not have! They had sent me progress pics during their restoration. I noticed they didn't have a muffler shield, so I sent them a pic & they went hunting. They found one from a retired Bush Hog employee. Same place they found the NOS cast grill emblems. They even gave my phone # with my permission to some people that contacted them for info on the defunct line of tractors. I had done a lot of research & evidently had more info than they even had. Sadly, when Bush Hog stopped production in the early to mid 70's......they destroyed ALL documentation, so all the manufacturing dates & the like were gone. The best we can do to date tractors is through engine serial #'s. But on the ones with Wisconsin engines, the DOM on them are missing for several of the years. The ones with Briggs...the JB models are easily dated by engine #'s. We have dialed in some of the ones with Wisconsin engines through a couple owners who have all the original paperwork from date of purchase.
And I gotta say, I was stoked to the max for months before the machinery show & some time after......still am, just not as excited as I was at the time. I think I drove my family crazy at the time! LOL

That is awesome Daniel! I love the story, it sounds like a ton of fun. Thanks for posting, I have never seen those pics.
btw, how tall are you, or is Dawson really short?

#5 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,653 Thanks
  • 29,841 posts

Posted February 06, 2010 - 12:24 PM

Dawson is really short(but tall in character)! I'm only 5'10"....but the pic does make me look like a big bruiser doesn't it!:rofl2:
I figured you had seen this, but can't remember if I posted it on MTF or not. This all may have been before I was active there.

Edited by olcowhand, August 23, 2010 - 06:55 PM.

#6 tweidman OFFLINE  

tweidman

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 250 Thanks
  • 797 posts

Posted February 06, 2010 - 01:28 PM

Wow, I thought sure you were going to say you were over 6 foot. I'm also 5'10".:D

#7 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,653 Thanks
  • 29,841 posts

Posted February 06, 2010 - 05:01 PM

I even went to Galesburg Kansas where my tractors were all built. The original plant was destroyed many years back & a new industry is in the present building. The TINY town still has a very small museum dedicated to the "Shaw Manufacturing" plant, which Bush Hog bought out to build these tractors. Shaw built many tractors, powered bicycles, and other equipment. The most remembered is the Shaw "Du-All". I was in Kansas City Mo for a dairy meeting, so went about 250 miles out of my way to visit the town, museum was closed :( BUT, the main reason I went was to pick up a complete NOS rear differential & NOS hydro unit for my JBI tractor.
This guy had bought all the old leftover parts stock from the old retired Bush Hog employee that ended up with it all. When they're gone they're gone! I bought the complete outfit for $100. When I was about to leave I told the fella if I could afford it, I'd buy a 2nd complete setup. Then he said "$50 will get it"......so I came home with 2 hydro units & 2 differentials!!! They are the same hydro & diff used in the earliest John Deere 140's. But having NOS is great. MY JB had badly mangled hug keyways, so I went ahead & used one set. I figure I'm good for my entire life now.

#8 tweidman OFFLINE  

tweidman

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 250 Thanks
  • 797 posts

Posted February 07, 2010 - 08:53 AM

I even went to Galesburg Kansas where my tractors were all built. The original plant was destroyed many years back & a new industry is in the present building. The TINY town still has a very small museum dedicated to the "Shaw Manufacturing" plant, which Bush Hog bought out to build these tractors. Shaw built many tractors, powered bicycles, and other equipment. The most remembered is the Shaw "Du-All". I was in Kansas City Mo for a dairy meeting, so went about 250 miles out of my way to visit the town, museum was closed :( BUT, the main reason I went was to pick up a complete NOS rear differential & NOS hydro unit for my JBI tractor.
This guy had bought all the old leftover parts stock from the old retired Bush Hog employee that ended up with it all. When they're gone they're gone! I bought the complete outfit for $100. When I was about to leave I told the fella if I could afford it, I'd buy a 2nd complete setup. Then he said "$50 will get it"......so I came home with 2 hydro units & 2 differentials!!! They are the same hydro & diff used in the earliest John Deere 140's. But having NOS is great. MY JB had badly mangled hug keyways, so I went ahead & used one set. I figure I'm good for my entire life now.

That was one lucky find. Where did you come across the JBI?

#9 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,653 Thanks
  • 29,841 posts

Posted February 07, 2010 - 10:00 AM

A great fella on my Yahoo Bush Hog group emailed one day asking if I wanted 1st dibs at it. He had healkth issues & was thinning his herd so he could manage it. He said $550 and I said I'd be there the next weekend. He's in the very NW tip of Ohio. Was a 1,000+ round trip I made in one day to keep expenses down. Worth every cent!......and more!

#10 Guest_James66_*

Guest_James66_*
  • Guests
  • Member No: 0
  • 0 Thanks

Posted February 08, 2010 - 01:41 PM

Daniel wow what a great story I'm just getting around to reading everything on the forum and this is one of the best so far thanks for sharing James

#11 powerstroke1040 OFFLINE  

powerstroke1040

• Contributor
  • Member No: 1064
  • 0 Thanks
  • 8 posts

Posted August 17, 2010 - 10:40 PM

That is one grat looking tractor.

#12 mjodrey OFFLINE  

mjodrey

Accumulator

• Contributor
  • Member No: 92
  • 2,343 Thanks
  • 13,481 posts

Posted August 18, 2010 - 04:34 AM

powerstroke1040:welcometogttalk:glad to have you here.

#13 olcowhand OFFLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,653 Thanks
  • 29,841 posts

Posted December 07, 2010 - 05:57 PM

Just came across a card the Bush Hog Corporation sent me after making decals for their restoration project. Thought I'd share it with you guys. I need to frame this puppy!

Bush Hog Thanks (2).jpg

Attached Thumbnails

• Bush Hog Thanks Cover.jpg

Edited by olcowhand, December 07, 2010 - 07:06 PM.

#14 Bolens 1000 ONLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 12,703 Thanks
  • 17,209 posts

Posted December 07, 2010 - 06:51 PM

Anyway you can get the text larger on that first photo?
That's definitely something to frame.
Thanks for sharing

#15 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,653 Thanks
  • 29,841 posts

Posted December 07, 2010 - 07:08 PM

Anyway you can get the text larger on that first photo?
That's definitely something to frame.
Thanks for sharing

I used Gimp & enlarged it. I think it's much easier to read now.