#1 DanP OFFLINE  

DanP

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 6989
  • 276 Thanks
  • 467 posts

Posted January 09, 2012 - 09:25 PM

I decided to take this out of the restoration thread and start a new one as I am in need of some ideas.
I started with a new old HH100 engine same model as in the Massey but the engine was for a Wheel Horse. When I tried to run the engine out of the GT it would not start do to a stuck ex valve. It probably rusted from sitting so long in a shed. I got the valve freed up and the engine started fine. So I cleaned the engine up and painted it. I put it back in the Massey and it would not run. It would fire once in a great while but not run. I had fire, I had gas at the carb. I changed plugs I even shot some starting fluid in the carb no luck. So I took the carb apart and yes I removed the main jet. After reading some threads about Walboro carbs I remembered the service nozzle issue. I took the nozzle back out and machined a grove like the service nozzle put it back in still no luck. I checked the compression and it was ok but not what I thought it should be. But when I held my hand in front of the carb it would suck my hand up to it.
Today I stopped at my lawn mower shop and told the mechanic what was going on and to see if they had a service nozzle, they did so I bought it. He said it was timing and he bet it back fired and sheared the flywheel key. Not wanting to scuff up the paint I tried shooting penetrating oil in the Ex valve, no luck. So I took the shroud off and took the flywheel off, the key was fine. So while I was that close I took the head off and removed both valves and cleaned them. The ex valve had some sticky stuff on the stem and it did not feel like it was closing all the way. I thought I had found the problem. I went ahead and lapped them while I had them out and checked the clearance. I put it all back together expecting it to run. No luck, no change at all. It does fire every once in a while but when it does it backfires through the carb. So when all else fails read the service manual. It said to check the ohms of the coil, to do this I had to take the shroud off again. So I took it off and checked it, 477 ohms, with in specks, I checked a new coil and it was 469 ohms. I checked the air gap and it is within specs. So now what do I do. To recap I have fuel to the carb, I have spark at the plug and trough the plug, I have good compression. This motor ran fine before I painted it. I am lost as to what to do next.

#2 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,268 Thanks
  • 28,606 posts

Posted January 09, 2012 - 09:39 PM

Are you getting gas into the cylinder?

When I have an engine that seems to have everything but noise, I double check myself. $5 inline spark checker shows spark. Both gaskets between the carb and engine in place, compression where it should be, etc. Then I try some carb cleaner in the intake. (Make sure the choke is open... Man that stuff stings)

If the plug is wet and no noise, I find anything but a Champion and put it in. This often solves the problem.

Another thing I've done, ran propane into the air intake. More than once I've had this prove to me an engine will run... I'm just missing something... Like a mal adjusted carb or plugged jet I missed. Don't do this for more than a couple of seconds, then only after putting a few drops of something lubricant like in there.

BTW, I believe the compression check on that engine will read around 55-60 because of the compression release.

#3 IamSherwood OFFLINE  

IamSherwood

Elf guardian

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2066
  • 8,379 Thanks
  • 7,696 posts

Posted January 09, 2012 - 09:40 PM

Flywheel is seated good and tight on the taper??

#4 DH1 ONLINE  

DH1

Electric Tractors

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62
  • 4,587 Thanks
  • 5,295 posts

Posted January 09, 2012 - 09:42 PM

What kind of starter do you have S/G or Ring Gear?

#5 DanP OFFLINE  

DanP

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • 276 Thanks
  • 467 posts

Posted January 09, 2012 - 09:51 PM

I have good fire and I used a checker without the plug and I checked it through the plug. The flywheel mis on tight and I have a ring gear starter.
The one thing I keep going back to is it ran fine before I painted it.

#6 ckjakline OFFLINE  

ckjakline

Tractorholic

• Member No: 6073
  • 1,080 Thanks
  • 1,093 posts

Posted January 09, 2012 - 09:51 PM

Almost seems like you have gas to the carb but not to the cylinder.Does your plug get wet at all?On my 7e w/kohler i had the same thing.I ended up having to pull the long needle that goes through carb from the top(I think thats the main jet).Had to clean that up had tarnish and junk inside carb.I forget what the walboro carbs have that you can take apart.

#7 DH1 ONLINE  

DH1

Electric Tractors

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62
  • 4,587 Thanks
  • 5,295 posts

Posted January 09, 2012 - 09:56 PM

You got all the head bolts in nice and tight and in the right spot, some are longer than others.

The head gasket is good, I had one that was missing some of the material between the 2 outer layers of metal, really hard to see but you could feel air leak out on compression stroke, that engine would almost start with that bad head gasket.

Edited by DH1, January 09, 2012 - 10:02 PM.

#8 DanP OFFLINE  

DanP

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • 276 Thanks
  • 467 posts

Posted January 09, 2012 - 11:10 PM

Head bolts torqued to specs and a new gasket.

It has to be something simple that I am missing. It ran fine and now it doesn't, nothing was changed except the paint.

What part does the stator/coil play in the ignition and is the rectifier part of the ingition?

Edited by DanP, January 09, 2012 - 11:16 PM.

#9 ducky OFFLINE  

ducky

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 564
  • 1,623 Thanks
  • 3,860 posts

Posted January 10, 2012 - 07:44 AM

Does the plug get wet?

#10 DanP OFFLINE  

DanP

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • 276 Thanks
  • 467 posts

Posted January 10, 2012 - 08:18 AM

No not really, but i can spray starting fluid in the carb and it still won't fire so that makes me believe it is not a fuel problem.

#11 mikebramel OFFLINE  

mikebramel

Ron Paul

• Member No: 82
  • 176 Thanks
  • 1,009 posts

Posted January 10, 2012 - 09:40 AM

If all that you did is paint it did you check all the connections?

#12 tweidman OFFLINE  

tweidman

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5
  • 250 Thanks
  • 797 posts

Posted January 10, 2012 - 10:05 AM

If all that you did is paint it did you check all the connections?

or disconect all of your connections except the starter. It should run on it's own. Maybe your connections are partially grounding out the coil?

#13 DanP OFFLINE  

DanP

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • 276 Thanks
  • 467 posts

Posted January 10, 2012 - 10:35 AM

I will check all the connections but they were taped up when I painted it. I have spark so I don't think it is grounding out the coil. I am going to run a ground wire from the battery to the rectifier case to the motor tonight to make sure I have a good ground. I may not with the heavy coat of paint and clear coat. That is the only thing I can think off that the paint would have caused. But I still have spark maybe just not good enough. I did disconnect the rectifier as I was trying to start it as I had a battery charger hook to the battery.

#14 cookiemonster OFFLINE  

cookiemonster

Village Idiot

• Member No: 6338
  • 406 Thanks
  • 1,274 posts

Posted January 10, 2012 - 10:58 AM

I agree with the starting fluid test. If there is a gas problem, it wouldn't cause this... Doesn't sound like you removed the camshaft, so timing shouldn't be a problem versus when it last ran. And you gapped the valves after lapping... okay...

What kind of shape is your plug wire in? If it's really old it could be broken and disconnected when it's in the plug hole and then makes a connection when you pull it out to test it. broken wires can do that when you flex them. Also, some of these guys are talking about valve and head gasket problems... Sounds like a good time to get a compression test done and then hunt that down if it's low.

#15 tweidman OFFLINE  

tweidman

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5
  • 250 Thanks
  • 797 posts

Posted January 10, 2012 - 03:51 PM

I will check all the connections but they were taped up when I painted it. I have spark so I don't think it is grounding out the coil. I am going to run a ground wire from the battery to the rectifier case to the motor tonight to make sure I have a good ground. I may not with the heavy coat of paint and clear coat. That is the only thing I can think off that the paint would have caused. But I still have spark maybe just not good enough. I did disconnect the rectifier as I was trying to start it as I had a battery charger hook to the battery.

The SSI uses ground to shut it down. That is why I suggested disconnecting all the wires, then try and start it. I had a SSI that produced spark, but it wasn't enought spark to make it run. I replaced the SSI and it started and ran great.
If that ground wire on the SSI touches 12 volts for even a second, it will kill the SSI.