Tinkerer

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 259
  • 18 Thanks
  • 200 posts

Posted January 09, 2012 - 09:25 PM

This past summer I went to get some parts for my 1967 Sears Suburban from a local garden tractor guy and noticed that he had a Bolens G12XL sitting in his yard. I asked him if he would be interested in getting rid of it and he said yes. Well we never discussed a price that day and finally a couple of weeks ago I emailed him and asked if he still had it and what he wanted for it. He emailed me back and said he still had it and would take $30 for it. It was complete with a mowing deck but in rough shape. I said I would take it and so this past Saturday I went and got it. It is very rough but I believe with a little time and work it will be working again. I started removing things from it today. I have the mule drive for the shaft drive attachments in the electrolysis bucket de-rusting right now. I removed the rear wheel weights and the mower along with its mule drive. It will need to be rewired, will need one rear rim along with 4 new tires and a lot of penetrating oil. It should be a fun project since we don't have any snow to play in right now and the other tractors are all set up to blow some snow.0109121533a.jpg This makes 3 different Bolens XL series tractors for me and the first one with a geared transmission

Attached Thumbnails

• 0109121533.jpg

Edited by Tinkerer, January 11, 2012 - 11:07 PM.

#2 MH81 OFFLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 29,957 Thanks
  • 29,757 posts

Posted January 09, 2012 - 10:17 PM

Looks like a good winter fixer upper.

#3 Delmar ONLINE  

Delmar
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5039
  • 2,627 Thanks
  • 2,639 posts

Posted January 09, 2012 - 11:02 PM

Nice addition to the herd. Happy tractoring!

#4 mjodrey OFFLINE  

mjodrey

Accumulator

• Contributor
  • Member No: 92
  • 2,353 Thanks
  • 13,481 posts

Posted January 10, 2012 - 05:15 AM

Looks like it needs a little :D work.

#5 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 35,122 Thanks
  • 44,137 posts

Posted January 10, 2012 - 05:23 AM

Great save. That should give you plenty to do while waiting for the snow to arrive. I think you need a large E-Tank to soak it in.

#6 Bolens 1000 OFFLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 14,614 Thanks
  • 17,955 posts

Posted January 10, 2012 - 07:08 AM

Congrats on the New Bolens
Those Xl series are pretty durable tractors... I always thought they were cheaply made until I got my H14XL and after using it I really like those series tractors.

#7 Tinkerer OFFLINE  

Tinkerer

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 18 Thanks
  • 200 posts

Posted January 10, 2012 - 08:37 AM

Great save. That should give you plenty to do while waiting for the snow to arrive. I think you need a large E-Tank to soak it in.

I really do need a large E-tank. I would like to find a large glue container as they are usually 4' by 4' by 4' with a metal cage around them for support and made of plastic so are easy to cut the top off. I will have to keep my eyes out for one this winter.

#8 Tinkerer OFFLINE  

Tinkerer

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 18 Thanks
  • 200 posts

Posted January 10, 2012 - 08:41 AM

Congrats on the New Bolens
Those Xl series are pretty durable tractors... I always thought they were cheaply made until I got my H14XL and after using it I really like those series tractors.

I never heard of them until I was given my 1600H in April of 2009 and now I have 3 from that series. I have upgraded my 1600H to hydraulic lift and now I really enjoy using it with the attachments I have. I think they are very well built compared to today's tractors. At least they have some steel in the frame. I could see some improvements to some designs but nothing I am going to change right now.

Edited by Tinkerer, January 11, 2012 - 11:06 PM.