• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 nathanatfork OFFLINE  

nathanatfork

• Member No: 8163
  • 5 Thanks
  • 51 posts

Posted January 09, 2012 - 02:40 PM

I recently acquired an 80's model John Deer 400. Im trying to locate a manual but was hoping someone could help me with a problem.

On the rear of the tractor, on the back end of the tranaxle, there is a tube that comes from a port near the middle of the tranaxle that goes up to another port that comes out of the top of the tranaxle. This tube is broken all apart and I need to replace it. Looks liek it used to be a clear rubber tube. In the middle of the tube is a whitish plastic filter looking thing. Can anyone help me out with a part number for this. If it was just the tube, Id just go buy another plastic tube and hook it up but not sure what the purpose is of the filter looking thing and if it is required. The bottom port it connects to is a square port with a screw in metal plug going into the top of it which Im gussing is where you add hyd fluid. I unscrewed that and didnt see any fluid, how do I check the hyd fluid level? There isnt a dipstick anywhere I can find.

Any help would bee greatly appreciated.

Just picked this thing up last week. Also has the linkage to the left rear brake frozen up. I disconnected it at the rear wheel so it doesnt ruin the brake but I cant get the linkage unstuck. I believe it is frozen where it crosses from the right to left side of the tractor body.

#2 Jehtro OFFLINE  

Jehtro

Tractorholic

• Member No: 3300
  • 109 Thanks
  • 276 posts

Posted January 09, 2012 - 03:30 PM

Is that not the Hydro Fill Sight tube? My 318 has that. Someone should be able to help with a 400 series,
transcheck.jpg

#3 nathanatfork OFFLINE  

nathanatfork

• 5 Thanks
  • 51 posts

Posted January 09, 2012 - 04:52 PM

Im not sure, Im not familiar with these at all. On yourr picture, it looks like it a clear section in the middle where the white plastic filter looking this is in mine. If thats what it is, can I just pick up some clear tube to replace the whole thing with?

Also, the serial number on my tractor ism 191816Looks lik it was made in 1982, the last year they were made. The guy I bought it from told me he bougght it new from the JD dealer in the mid 80's.

#4 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted January 09, 2012 - 04:54 PM

The parts diagrams are available on line at jdparts.com. Just do a model search for 400 and then the 400 hydrostatic tractor is quite a ways down the list. The tube you are talking about is the transmission fluid level tube and the white filter is a vented filter to relieve pressure in the transmission. You can just replace the tubing and reuse the filter if it's still in one piece. If the filter has been replaced in the past with a standard fuel filter it will not vent properly unless you drill a small hole in the top of the filter. Had this problem with my 314. Here's a couple of diagrams of the gauge and the brake linkage from JDParts.

M20842F________UN01JAN94.jpg

Attached Thumbnails

• M22751F________UN02JAN94.jpg

#5 nathanatfork OFFLINE  

nathanatfork

• 5 Thanks
  • 51 posts

Posted January 09, 2012 - 06:13 PM

Thanks for the reply. Found the parts diagram for it and the filter on my hose does look the same. So, I just need to replace the hose as the filter looks to be in good condition. Then I will be able to refill the hyd fluid.

On the brake linkage. the part on mine that is locked up is not on that diagram/ its the parts that connects the two long linkages from the left to right of the tractor. All the parts in that diagram seem to be fine and the brake functions fine when I disconnect the linkage and work it by hand. Under the mower there are two grease zerks(one on right side and one on left) on the linkage bar going from the left to right under the tractor. I believe it is one of the spots with the zerk that is frozen. I beat on them both, and sprayed them but couldnt get them to brake free. May have to take it apart.

#6 Gary400 OFFLINE  

Gary400

JD,junkie

• Contributor
  • Member No: 2316
  • 225 Thanks
  • 768 posts

Posted January 09, 2012 - 07:29 PM

is this what your looks like ?

Attached Thumbnails

• 01-09-2012 06;26;19PM.jpg

#7 nathanatfork OFFLINE  

nathanatfork

• 5 Thanks
  • 51 posts

Posted January 09, 2012 - 08:31 PM

Yes, that is what Im talking about, although in that picture, I dont see the little filter in the middle of the tube. Thanks fr posting that, I needed the instruction for filling hyd fluid!

#8 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted January 10, 2012 - 10:55 AM

With the brake linkage the best idea would be to take it apart and give it a good cleaning and regrease it all. If you do that and then maintain it properly it will never give you trouble again.

#9 nathanatfork OFFLINE  

nathanatfork

• 5 Thanks
  • 51 posts

Posted January 10, 2012 - 02:10 PM

Thats what I will do.

#10 hgl1gtt OFFLINE  

hgl1gtt

• Member No: 7874
  • 2 Thanks
  • 9 posts

Posted February 12, 2012 - 11:37 AM

Just make sure if it does have the hard plastic clear piece that is attached to the flexible hose that you use the proper spring clips to seal it. If you use the worm style clamps they will not close tight enough and will crush the plastic and then the leaks will start all over agian. They do not apply even enough pressure like the spring clips do.

#11 nathanatfork OFFLINE  

nathanatfork

• 5 Thanks
  • 51 posts

Posted February 23, 2012 - 09:11 PM

I got it all back together. Havent addressed the frozen leftside brake yet, but this thing runs and mows great. I really like it. I primed and painted the rusted deck as well. Heres a pic. Its dirty, I just got through mowing for the first time/

Posted Image

#12 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted February 24, 2012 - 06:02 AM

Thanks for the pic. The tractor looks to be in very good shape. They are extremely rare up this way. I've not seen one for sale at all.