#16 trowel OFFLINE  

trowel

Summer.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5127
  • 4,819 Thanks
  • 4,533 posts

Posted February 11, 2012 - 07:47 PM

FirefyterEmt, that is a nice looking place you got there, when it comes to greenhouses personal preferences comes to mind and everyone has their way of going about it, many gardeners here with very good idears and uses greenhouses.
A little something to help you get started.

http://www.google.co...p1mw2aUf_W2GYng

http://www.google.co...hjVcIonO0UtyyMQ
  • Alc and chris m have said thanks

#17 speedyg OFFLINE  

speedyg

Tractorholic

• Member No: 4412
  • 71 Thanks
  • 434 posts

Posted February 13, 2012 - 11:52 PM

fyerfytermnt, Sorry to here that you got caught in the housing bubble crisis. But it looks like the good Lord is making it work out anyway!!! Nice place you found for your family. I also have five kids and it sure is nice when they all have a room of thier own. :) I really like the river right there, tell me about the fishing when you can. I cant really help with the green house but it looks like trowel is pointing you in some good directions.

#18 speedyg OFFLINE  

speedyg

Tractorholic

• 71 Thanks
  • 434 posts

Posted February 14, 2012 - 12:09 AM

trowel, Your response was not to long! I thankyou for your time and knowledge on the matter. You have some good ideas and I to think that I would benefit from a green house. At least every other year a snow storm recks my new garden, but I have to take the chance to plant early in order to get a good harvest much like yourself. Do you think that paving the floor of the green house with dark pavers, or lava rocks would soak up enough heat to protect the plants from the cold nights?
  • trowel said thank you

#19 FirefyterEmt OFFLINE  

FirefyterEmt

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 610
  • 425 Thanks
  • 849 posts

Posted February 17, 2012 - 10:25 PM

Thanks for the nice words! There was plenty of praying, that was for sure! It's not easy finding large houses that are either in bad areas, way too much money, or a joke because they are way too small to be the "bedroom" size they say.

Yesterday I had another shock... I found out the greenhouse has a street piped gas heater in it! I will have more photos soon, we are moving tomorrow!

#20 trowel OFFLINE  

trowel

Summer.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 4,819 Thanks
  • 4,533 posts

Posted February 17, 2012 - 11:13 PM

Do you think that paving the floor of the green house with dark pavers, or lava rocks would soak up enough heat to protect the plants from the cold nights?

Yes, it will work, that is something i did not think of, thank you for that, i will remember it, what also helps is anything with water on the ground freezes before anything in the air does hench hanging plants tend to survive cold nights better then the same ones in the ground during the spring thaw and the air is warm during the day were as the ground is still cold and frozen, growing on benches and hanging makes a big difference, watering the plants with sun warm or luke warm water after a cold night helps as much as a hot cup of tea does to us on a cold day.
I have seen people use black rock or lava rock for warming of water for washing or bathing in areas of no electricity, same with black barrels on roofs of houses.

#21 trowel OFFLINE  

trowel

Summer.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 4,819 Thanks
  • 4,533 posts

Posted February 17, 2012 - 11:16 PM

Yesterday I had another shock... I found out the greenhouse has a street piped gas heater in it! I will have more photos soon, we are moving tomorrow!

It would do good to advise you to have the gas comp. check the heater and pipings before trying it for safety's sake, i would love to see pictures of the heater and greenhouse, it looked great from the outside.

#22 FirefyterEmt OFFLINE  

FirefyterEmt

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 425 Thanks
  • 849 posts

Posted February 27, 2012 - 09:43 PM

I did look into the gas, and because it's been sitting for two years, they whole gas system has to be checked. I did find that the heater is only 5 years old though.

But for some more photos, I did take a few after moving a few things around. It needs a lot more cleaning and sorting out still, but it's a start. I have to pull down the bubble wrap because it's just crumbling, so that is all over the place. But it came with the three metal benches, and I have three more in the house to go out there. I plan to bolt them togather and make some new tops for them. I have some 1/4" hardware cloth I may attach to frames and use that on the tops. I plan to add some 2x10's on the bottom to create some raised beds under the benches.

This is the wall I cleaned out and started to place the benches in a row
Posted Image

Posted Image

Then this is the back wall, kind of messy still.

Posted Image

Posted Image

And this is the little natural gas heater. It's piped to the house and shares the gas with tow of the fireplaces in the house that are also NG. (Oddly though, no gas stove, heat, or dryer!)

Posted Image

#23 trowel OFFLINE  

trowel

Summer.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 4,819 Thanks
  • 4,533 posts

Posted February 28, 2012 - 12:13 AM

Looks really good, that heater is in very good shape, what a green house, you can grow so much in there, thanks a bunch for the pic's, worth a million words, i hope you'r settling in to the new place well ?

#24 mjodrey OFFLINE  

mjodrey

Accumulator

• Contributor
  • Member No: 92
  • 2,343 Thanks
  • 13,481 posts

Posted February 28, 2012 - 06:12 AM

Wow,that sure is a nice little green house.Cool heater you have too.

#25 JD DANNELS OFFLINE  

JD DANNELS

Tractorholic

• Member No: 2011
  • 3,786 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted February 28, 2012 - 04:43 PM

Firefyter: I had missed this thread and am imressed with the home your moving to. Love the greenhouse! Color me Green with envy!
You might want to just clean the dead stuff out of some of those beds and see what comes up?
That greenish dry stuff in that one bed looks a lot like the Horse Radish I have to clean up come spring.
The previous owners may have left you some treasures.

Edited by JD DANNELS, February 28, 2012 - 04:43 PM.

#26 FirefyterEmt OFFLINE  

FirefyterEmt

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 425 Thanks
  • 849 posts

Posted February 28, 2012 - 08:47 PM

Thank you, we were blessed in many ways with this new place. The owner did a walk through of the garden and pointed out a bunch of stuff. Most of it was flower plants, but I do have a fairly nice, yet overgrown patch of berries (raspberry's and blackberries) Then I have a rather large herb bed too. There is a peach tree that seems to be producing quite well based on the pits under the tree, and a pear tree that was was cloned to produce three types of pears. I do have an apple tree as well, but she said that it never produced apples. I am VERY happy with the pears, peaches, and berries... I do like to can, and that stuff can be used 100%!

As for the house, it's a bit like living in a dream still... a few years back the house was painted and re-roofed, and the house still has the original wood siding & trim work. I do need to address the back porch flooring this summer though. Last winter, a pipe broke and the insurance paid to have a few ceilings replaced, new pex plumbing, and the entire kitchen replaced. This was done with high end cabinets (birch ply case & solid maple raised panel doors. All new counter tops and floors were done in the kitchen, dining room, living room, and office. (sadly, in oak, not the original ash.) Also done in order to have it signed off to be liveable, the entire house was rewired from new fuse boxes and all new wiring! On top of that, the steam heat has a new burner and steam controler. I would like to, in the future, replace it with radiant flooring heat, and hydroponic on the second & third floors. I know it's not true to the nature of the house, but that steam heat set up is sucking up a LOT of oil! There is also a fireplace in the foyer that would be perfect for a woodstove, but would need a new liner and maybe chimney work before it could be done.

But in all, the expensive stuff is done, and was done high end... It needs a few rooms finished up better, but that is stuff like minor wall repair / plaster and either paint or wallpaper. The hall to the third floor needs to be taken down to lathe and new drywall installed, as the old horsehair plaster has fully come loose from the lathe. It's so small that it's not worth saving, I will just rip it out and replace it. But as a father of 5, this big house is a massive blessing! The room is just amazing! (almost as big as the furnace's thirst for oil!) LOL
  • trowel said thank you

#27 speedyg OFFLINE  

speedyg

Tractorholic

• 71 Thanks
  • 434 posts

Posted March 09, 2012 - 01:15 AM

that green house ROCKS!!!!!!!!!!! :rocker2:

#28 speedyg OFFLINE  

speedyg

Tractorholic

• 71 Thanks
  • 434 posts

Posted March 09, 2012 - 01:17 AM

Thanks trowel, I do like the idea of keeping the seedlings off of the ground. Makes sense to me.

#29 trowel OFFLINE  

trowel

Summer.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 4,819 Thanks
  • 4,533 posts

Posted March 09, 2012 - 08:50 AM

Your welcome,
I experimented with growing in hangers and tubs for a while, nice thing about it being up is if you have a bad back it's good to have it at a comfortable level.
Looking forwards to all the wonderfull greens/veggies everyone will grow this spring :thumbs: