• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Trent Thomson OFFLINE  

Trent Thomson

• Member No: 2375
  • 188 Thanks
  • 229 posts

Posted January 09, 2012 - 09:06 AM

I'm having problems with my blower this year on my 800. The problem is in the gear case. The pin that goes through the gear and input shaft inside the housing keeps breaking. It happened 3 times in the last 2 weeks. It is not that I'm pushing it too hard since we have not had enough snow for that. Every time I am just "playing" in about 1 or 2 inches of snow, paitently waiting for more. I never had this problem before running it on the 800 or my old G10. I did put a knew PTO belt on recently. I don't think it would shear off the pin though if it was not adjusted right. Any thoughts on the matter would be appreciated as I'm getting sick of pulling of the gearbox to replace the pin, But I am now getting good at it. lol.

#2 Bruce Dorsi ONLINE  

Bruce Dorsi

Old, but not dead -- yet!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1525
  • 3,179 Thanks
  • 2,148 posts

Posted January 09, 2012 - 09:50 AM

What model blower attachment do you have?

A few thoughts, Trent:

1) The new PTO belt, or its adjustment, should not cause the roll pin to shear inside the gearbox.

2) Are the needle bearings on the input shaft of the gearbox good? ......Is the input shaft worn where it passes through the bearings? ......What about the other needle bearings and shaft?

3) Are there burrs, roughness, or deformed teeth on either gear? .....It's okay to file any rough spots or sharp edges that should not be present. .....Is there a piece of broken roll pin in the gearbox or wedged into a gear tooth?

4) If the holes through the input shaft and bevel gear are elongated from repeated pin shearing, the pin is more likely to shear again.

5) On earlier model snowblowers, there should be a shear bolt through the small (drive) sprocket. .....This is supposed to protect the rest of the drive parts when gravel or something jams the auger. .....If this has been replaced with the incorrect bolt, the stress is transferred to the next weakest connection. .....Later model blowers used roll pins in the drive coupling.

6) Are you using the correct size roll pin? ......I think (CRS) it should be 1/4" x 1-1/4" for the small gear, and 1/4" x 2" for the large gear. .....Does the roll pin fit tightly in the gear and the shaft?

7) Is one of the universal joints on the PTO binding?

8) Does the U-joint that is attached to the gearbox fit snugly on the input shaft?
  • Bolens 1000 said thank you

#3 Trent Thomson OFFLINE  

Trent Thomson

• Member No: 2375
  • 188 Thanks
  • 229 posts

Posted January 10, 2012 - 09:46 AM

Thanks Bruce. I tore it apart again . Totally cleaned it up. I may be in for a new shaft and bearings. I have a spare gear box off a deck that i thought i could make work, but when I got it open it had different gears. They were all slanted instead of beveled, if that makes sense. Could they be used if I had to swap out eveything and just change the shafts?

#4 Bolens 1000 ONLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 12,701 Thanks
  • 17,208 posts

Posted January 10, 2012 - 10:00 AM

Thanks Bruce. I tore it apart again . Totally cleaned it up. I may be in for a new shaft and bearings. I have a spare gear box off a deck that i thought i could make work, but when I got it open it had different gears. They were all slanted instead of beveled, if that makes sense. Could they be used if I had to swap out eveything and just change the shafts?

You could swap the gears.
The Old "straight" style gears were replaced by the newer style that were slanted.
  • Trent Thomson said thank you