#16 EricFromPa ONLINE  

EricFromPa

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 2135
  • 2,304 Thanks
  • 2,336 posts

Posted January 23, 2012 - 01:28 PM

I honed it out.Turned out pretty good but it does have 1 gouge that's to deep for the honer.It should be ok to run until I can track down another block.I'm looking for a 10 or 11hp Cast Bore block if anyone has one laying around.
I had a cam out of a 15.5hp OHV laying in the shed so I stuck it in there to.It has a slightly longer lift duration than the stock cam.And it fit and timed up correctly.I figured what the heck give it a try.It should give it a bit more grunt for mowing and plowing.

I had to order another head gasket so I'm waiting on that.I have 4 8hp and a bunch of 5hp and 3.5hp briggs head gaskets but I'm out of 10 and 11hp gaskets.I put a new block seal in it and found another head for it.So it should be running very soon.It's always nice to make an original engine usable again.

I also have to order another set of stones for my honer.I broke one of the polishing stones.They don't like aluminum at all.

#17 EricFromPa ONLINE  

EricFromPa

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • 2,304 Thanks
  • 2,336 posts

Posted March 03, 2012 - 07:13 AM

Hey what do ya know.It RUNS again. :dancingbanana: :dancingbanana: :dancingbanana:

She runs pretty strong but it does puff a little cloud of good old bug repellent out of the muffler when you crank her up to WOT.But it's just a little puff and it has good power for an old 10hp aluminum bore briggs.

I'm guessing that the Transaxle is the same as the ones in the older John Deeres with the 4 speed?It has the same shift pattern and looks the same on the under side.Brake disk and drive pulley are on the same side to.And it's cast iron.I thought it might of been aluminum with cast axle tubes but nope it's all cast.

I wonder if it could handle a 10in moldboard?

The front of the tractor is very light.It pops the front wheels off the ground in every gear except low 1st.

#18 mjodrey OFFLINE  

mjodrey

Accumulator

• Contributor
  • Member No: 92
  • 2,343 Thanks
  • 13,481 posts

Posted March 03, 2012 - 07:22 AM

Hey Eric,that's great you got it running again. :thumbs:
  • EricFromPa said thank you

#19 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted March 03, 2012 - 07:33 AM

Nice save. That's a really strong looking blade setup. Never seen such an elaborate mount before. Thanks for posting this and congrats on getting it running again!
  • EricFromPa said thank you

#20 EricFromPa ONLINE  

EricFromPa

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • 2,304 Thanks
  • 2,336 posts

Posted March 04, 2012 - 04:11 AM

Nice save. That's a really strong looking blade setup. Never seen such an elaborate mount before. Thanks for posting this and congrats on getting it running again!

Ya the Plow mount has me thinking a bit.It's basicly a Sears suburban plow with the Slot attachment hacked off and welded to a cradle that stradels the axle and bolts to the frame.It's a really sturdy yet fairly simple design that will work on almost any garden tractor.
I can take some better pics of it and give demensions if anyone wants them.

Those old suburban plows are easy to find.

Edited by EricFromPa, March 04, 2012 - 04:12 AM.

#21 Hugh OFFLINE  

Hugh

• Member No: 1954
  • 155 Thanks
  • 168 posts

Posted March 07, 2012 - 10:14 PM

Looks like a 1976, the last year of the ST/10. Nice