EricFromPa

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 2135
  • 2,293 Thanks
  • 2,329 posts

Posted January 08, 2012 - 08:07 AM

Well got me another GT.

Picked up this Sears ST10 with deck,plow,wheel weights and tire chains at the local scrap yard.

It was within minutes of being tossed into the chusher.
I was saddened by what I seen being crushed as I was rummaging through the piles of lawn tractor engines and stuff.
They crushed a nice looking FF20.By the time I got down near the crusher it was toast.It had the 12x12 6 lug rims with flat tires.The guy said that it was a running tractor but they are in the scrap buisness and they crush everything that comes in.

Anyway I saved this little guy.The engine runs but has very little compression.I did manage to pick up a couple Briggs engines that are complete.10hp 11hp and another 18hp opposed twin.The twin is possibly for parts,the intake manifold is busted.

Paid $110 for the lot.
The plow looks like it will fit on my Cub Cadet 2186 without cutting anything.I'll have to drill a couple holes in the cub but it should mount on without having to cut or fabricate anything.

Here she is.A little beat on the rear fenders and a little rust on the hood and a seat that's seen better days.I also need to find a set of bigger front rims and tires.Someone put these little 6 inch fellas on it.

Attached Thumbnails

• IMAG0026.jpg
  • IMAG0029.jpg
  • IMAG0028.jpg
  • IMAG0027.jpg
  • IMAG0030.jpg

#2 ckjakline ONLINE  

ckjakline

Tractorholic

• Member No: 6073
  • 1,080 Thanks
  • 1,093 posts

Posted January 08, 2012 - 08:39 AM

I'd say you made out pretty well.
  • EricFromPa said thank you

#3 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,262 Thanks
  • 28,604 posts

Posted January 08, 2012 - 08:49 AM

Great save, the Wheel Weights are probably worth half of that. Sorry to hear about the FF, if they knew what they could've gotten on eBay for some of this stuff, they might not be so eager to just crush them.

#4 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,399 Thanks
  • 39,659 posts

Posted January 08, 2012 - 09:15 AM

Great save on that one. Too bad on the FF, love to find one of those. Cool blade, hope you can get it attached easily.

#5 caseguy OFFLINE  

caseguy

Connoisseur of Rusty Junk

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 906
  • 1,624 Thanks
  • 5,600 posts

Posted January 08, 2012 - 09:42 AM

Looks like a good haul to me! Great price for all of the stuff too! Congrats and thanks for saving one more!

#6 dstaggs OFFLINE  

dstaggs

In Remembrance, RIP Dale

• RIP
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 228
  • 553 Thanks
  • 1,781 posts

Posted January 08, 2012 - 10:10 AM

Always so GOOD when you can SAVE just 1 Congrats.

#7 Bill56 OFFLINE  

Bill56

Tractorholic

• Member No: 60
  • 839 Thanks
  • 2,179 posts

Posted January 08, 2012 - 10:44 AM

Always good to see a saved one! Like MH81 stated... the wheel weights alone made your purchase worthwhile! Too bad about the fate of the FF20.

#8 CountryLoveSales OFFLINE  

CountryLoveSales

Tractorholic

• Member No: 3899
  • 9 Thanks
  • 47 posts

Posted January 08, 2012 - 11:46 AM

I will have to junk alot of mine, noone in a buying mood around here and I will be moving soon and down sizing..

#9 motobreeder OFFLINE  

motobreeder

• Contributor
  • Member No: 3989
  • 425 Thanks
  • 611 posts

Posted January 08, 2012 - 09:04 PM

Wish you were closer - know anyone running empty to Northern NY?

#10 BushBoneYard OFFLINE  

BushBoneYard

• Member No: 6163
  • 36 Thanks
  • 70 posts

Posted January 10, 2012 - 05:57 AM

As a big fan of Murray Ohio built tractors I am THRILLED to see this thread.

#11 1978murray OFFLINE  

1978murray

diesel mechanic

• Member No: 2523
  • 598 Thanks
  • 1,163 posts

Posted January 11, 2012 - 08:44 AM

thats the same as my murray 11/36 good to see others like it. Yet im never able to find my exact model

#12 EricFromPa OFFLINE  

EricFromPa

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • 2,293 Thanks
  • 2,329 posts

Posted January 11, 2012 - 09:33 AM

:mecry:I ran into trouble with the engine swap as soon as I took the old one off.Turns out it has a goofy crank and pulley setup on it.
The old engine is in worse condition than I would of hoped.The head gasket was blown and it looks like it was run like that for some time.The cylinder wall is scored up really bad and the head is unusable.It's partly melted and distorted where it had blown the gasket.
I hate Aluminum bore engines.1 little speck of dirt and you have a nice long gouge,50 little tiny chunks of head gasket and dirt and you have one heck of a messed up cylinder bore.

The 11hp Briggs that I got with the tractor has a standard crank and it is also a synchro balanced and I "THINK" that the cranks are interchangeable.I have the original 10hp engine all tore apart and the Crank,connecting rod and counter balance bearings all in great condition.I'm not sure if the 11hp has a longer stroke or just a bigger bore or both.

I've put together many of these little Briggs engines and you never know until you have them both apart.So I guess we'll see how it goes.I'm going to tear into the 11hp today if time permits.

Oh and I finally figured out how to remove the battery from behind the Steering column.1 bolt and the whole column pulls out.Simple but Why did they put it back behind the column?I have no idea.

It took me about 2 hours after work lastnight to get it tore apart and I ran out of day light.My shed still has no power run t it and my little Kubota powered generator decided to kill it's self.The darn coil went bad and they want $160 for a replacement.That's ridiculous it's only a little 5.5hp engine model T55 if anyone has ever seen one.

Edited by EricFromPa, January 11, 2012 - 09:52 AM.

#13 BushBoneYard OFFLINE  

BushBoneYard

• Member No: 6163
  • 36 Thanks
  • 70 posts

Posted January 11, 2012 - 02:00 PM

Oh and I finally figured out how to remove the battery from behind the Steering column.1 bolt and the whole column pulls out.Simple but Why did they put it back behind the column?I have no idea.

Mine has the same set up. With mine, after loosening one wing nut a few turns you can remove the battery hold down bracket and the battery will then slide right out. Shortly afterwards, Murray moved it to the bottom of the dash, with a plastic access cover. It can be seen here, it's the black piece with the shift pattern written on it. Honestly though, I don't think this set up is much better.

Posted Image

Edited by BushBoneYard, January 11, 2012 - 02:27 PM.

#14 EricFromPa OFFLINE  

EricFromPa

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • 2,293 Thanks
  • 2,329 posts

Posted January 12, 2012 - 08:20 AM

That's a nice looking GT.Those Twins are power houses.

I wonder if they used the same goofy cut down crank and pulley setup on those to?
The crank is turned down on the end and the pulley slides up on it only about 1 1/2 to 2 inches and it has a very small woodruff key.It looks like it would be a problem if I ever decide to work it hard with the plow or towing firewood logs out of the woods.

#15 EricFromPa OFFLINE  

EricFromPa

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • 2,293 Thanks
  • 2,329 posts

Posted January 12, 2012 - 12:42 PM

OK I'm sorta confused about this engine that I picked up.It has an 11hp Decal and Type # BUT it IS definitely an 8hp engine.I had it completely apart before I realized the Piston is about 1/2 an inch to small.

191707 is an 8hp Model number and 1136-02 according to my Spec sheet could be either an 8hp or 11hp.

The engine came off of a Wheel Horse LT 1136 and it Is was original engine for that tractor.
Did Wheel Horse re-badge the 8hp engine or was it a Briggs factory mess-up?

Anyway here's some more pics.Briggs spec sheet,the 8hp/11hp and the old 10hp block and crank.

I'm going to try and Hone the old block.The grooves are not deep,more like scuffs than scratches or grooves.The piston is in good condition.Strange it's like the compression ring just pushed a bunch of dirt up and down in there.I gauged the rings and they are well within spec yet.

I hate honing aluminum but it "should" turn out to be a usable block again.

Attached Thumbnails

• briggs.jpg
  • IMAG0027.jpg
  • IMAG0029.jpg
  • IMAG0030.jpg
  • IMAG0032.jpg
  • IMAG0031.jpg

Edited by EricFromPa, January 12, 2012 - 01:00 PM.