13 replies to this topic

#1 ad356 OFFLINE  

ad356

Tractorholic

• Member No: 3766
  • 9 Thanks
  • 160 posts

Posted January 08, 2012 - 06:00 AM

well we havent had any real amount of snow yet this year, i have only used the tractor once for about 20 minutes. im still wondering bout the qa42, the stock throwing distance isnt that great. i see vids of this snowthrower really chucking the snow. what does it take to turn it into a throwing beast. i know you can change the pulley but what is the safe limit on the stock gear box, not really looking to blow it up. is there a change that can be made without destroying a good gear box? also how does the engine take to the increased load of changing that pulley, or does it take the load better since it is emptying the snow blower faster?

#2 Amigatec OFFLINE  

Amigatec

Collector of Rusty Junk

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5899
  • 2,023 Thanks
  • 3,172 posts

Posted January 08, 2012 - 06:13 AM

I believe there were a couple of different sets of gears for the gearboxes, but I don't know which ones are different.

#3 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted January 08, 2012 - 06:49 AM

You should wait until you give it a thorough test with different depths and weights of snow before making any decisions. If the throwing distance turns out to be adequate for your applications then consider leaving it as is. I'm sure the designed speed is a compromise between throwing distance and engine/ belt load so it may turn out to be the best overall solution for most people.

#4 Amigatec OFFLINE  

Amigatec

Collector of Rusty Junk

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 2,023 Thanks
  • 3,172 posts

Posted January 08, 2012 - 06:55 AM

That Thower should rotate at about 1200 at full throttle. The tiller gearboxes do have different gearing.

#5 ds mi OFFLINE  

ds mi

• Member No: 8380
  • 0 Thanks
  • 2 posts

Posted February 11, 2012 - 05:55 PM

I seem to have the same prob. with my cub 125 and 36 blower. I run it wide open and it either plugs or it just puk's it out in front of it. belt is tight. and it turns fast Help.

#6 Amigatec OFFLINE  

Amigatec

Collector of Rusty Junk

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 2,023 Thanks
  • 3,172 posts

Posted February 11, 2012 - 06:03 PM

Are you using the Cub belt or an after market belt?

#7 DH1 OFFLINE  

DH1

Electric Tractors

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62
  • 4,587 Thanks
  • 5,295 posts

Posted February 11, 2012 - 07:25 PM

Number 1 and obvious is make sure the belt is tight and not slipping.

Also, I never did this myself but, I heard that if you put a rubber flapper on the Auger where it converges so that it just rubs on the back housing, trying to get it so there is less clearance, more snow is thrown out instead of slipping past the auger in the housing.
Some say this 1 modification makes a big difference in how far and how much snow is thrown.
This would only work on Single Stage blowers.

Anybody tried this?

Edited by DH1, February 11, 2012 - 07:26 PM.

#8 LTD OFFLINE  

LTD

Cub Cadet Collector

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5951
  • 1,028 Thanks
  • 1,455 posts

Posted February 12, 2012 - 12:48 PM

This link may be helpful.http://cubfaq.com/thrower.html I have a 42" stock snow thrower on my 123 Cub Cadet and it throws dry snow very well but plugs up often in wet snow.

#9 motobreeder OFFLINE  

motobreeder

• Contributor
  • Member No: 3989
  • 425 Thanks
  • 611 posts

Posted February 12, 2012 - 10:03 PM

Hopefully this is pointing out the obvious - but if you increase the speed that the drum rotates, make sure the bearings are in good shape and maybe even check the balance. That's a lot of rotational mass.

I recall reading on a web site where someone had changed the pulleys and the blower tossed a chuck of metal.

#10 tractormike OFFLINE  

tractormike

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 119
  • 162 Thanks
  • 1,488 posts

Posted February 21, 2012 - 09:11 PM

I would certainly look at the clearance between the auger and the back sheet of the blower. I bought a used John Deere blower once and the first time I used it the snow barely cleared the front of the blower.there was about a 1/2 inch of clearance between the auger and the back sheet. I built up the auger untill it just cleared the back of the blower and man what a differance it made! It turned out to be a very good blower, even threw wet heavy snow/slush well.

#11 Guest_tgguy1122_*

Guest_tgguy1122_*
  • Guests
  • Member No: 0
  • 0 Thanks

Posted February 25, 2012 - 07:35 PM

ive heard using thick rubber on the edges of the auger to decrease the clearance works but it adds load on the engine.

#12 tractormike OFFLINE  

tractormike

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 119
  • 162 Thanks
  • 1,488 posts

Posted February 25, 2012 - 08:09 PM

I have heard of using rubber belting or other material to decrease the clearance. I used steel and built up the flat throwing part of the auger. I used 2 pieces of identical steel and bolted and welded them in place to make sure they stayed. The auger seems to be still in balance. As long as whatever you added to the auger didn't hit or rub on the back sheet I don't think it would add any more load to the engine than the blower was originaly built for. I didn't speed up the blower, only fixed the clearance problem.This was on an old 112 John Deere with only a 10 horse Kohler in it and man did it do a great job blowing snow when I got done with it!

#13 DH1 OFFLINE  

DH1

Electric Tractors

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62
  • 4,587 Thanks
  • 5,295 posts

Posted February 25, 2012 - 08:57 PM

I found these pictures on the web from another site, Ive seen this modification before on single stage snow blowers and they say it works, night and day difference.
The idea is to get less clearance between the Auger where it converges just before it throws the snow out the shoot and the back of the housing.

augermod1.jpg augermod2.jpg augermod3.jpg
auger-mod.jpg

#14 jweaver OFFLINE  

jweaver

• Member No: 740
  • 3 Thanks
  • 20 posts

Posted March 02, 2012 - 04:36 PM

up the teeth on the sprocket 2 teeth and adjust chain may need to get longer chain did this to my and a buddy and they work great in every kind of snow