Nominations for Tractor of the Month
Garden Tractors and Parts on eBay

Photo
- - - - -

what was the biggest, strongest IH cub cadet built?

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 ad356 OFFLINE  

ad356

Tractorholic

• Member No: 3766
  • 9 Thanks
  • 160 posts

Posted January 08, 2012 - 04:58 AM

i was wondering what the biggest beast of all of them were? was it the 982 or was the 782d actually the stronger, more desirable tractor? im not talking about mtd units only the ones built by IH. i believe the IH units ended with the '82 series am i correct?

also does anyone think the mtd will ever produce a serous GT under the cub cadet name ever again? i mean lets face it the last somewhat serous GT was the 3000 series and even that aint that great. i have a co-worker that bought a 2000 series and he seems to believe that its a serous tractor, i keep trying to tell him that its not really a garden tractor. the current 2000 series is nothing more than a glorified LT, it's nowhere near the old narrow frame, wide frame, and split frame '82 series. i would never spend $3k+ on such a piss poor machine. for $3k i could easily find an old farmall cub or international cub lo-boy. 3 grand for a machine that isnt much better than a box store LT is absurd.

it makes the cost of doing a restoration on an old IH built cub cadet so worth it. even a full restoration wont cost much more than 1/3 the cost of something like the 2000 series and you end up wit 10x the tractor when you are done. you end up with a machine that will usually outlast the owner with proper care, lol.

#2 mjodrey OFFLINE  

mjodrey

Accumulator

• Contributor
  • Member No: 92
  • 2,343 Thanks
  • 13,481 posts

Posted January 08, 2012 - 05:18 AM

If you are talking about physical size,that would be the 982,as I believe it is about 8" longer in wheel base.IH also built a 1282,but it is no bigger size wise than say a 682.

#3 Amigatec OFFLINE  

Amigatec

Collector of Rusty Junk

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5899
  • 2,023 Thanks
  • 3,172 posts

Posted January 08, 2012 - 05:27 AM

Some of the '82 series tractors were built by CCC which was part of MTD, some of the '82's were built by IH.

#4 ad356 OFFLINE  

ad356

Tractorholic

• 9 Thanks
  • 160 posts

Posted January 08, 2012 - 05:41 AM

i know that. guy i work for down the street (i still do occasionally) had a broken 682 that i parted out, it was a mtd built machine. no mention of harvester and it did not have a true cub rear axle. the axle looked similar to the cub axle but it had its difference, for one no IH tag and it was painted black, not red or yellow like the cub transmissions always were. im sure its no where near as good either. he also has a 782 with a kt17 II that runs. its an IH built unit and has a cub IH tagged transmission. i have seen them both. if i ever owned an '82 series it had better be an IH built machine.

#5 ad356 OFFLINE  

ad356

Tractorholic

• 9 Thanks
  • 160 posts

Posted January 08, 2012 - 05:43 AM

If you are talking about physical size,that would be the 982,as I believe it is about 8" longer in wheel base.IH also built a 1282,but it is no bigger size wise than say a 682.

so are far as performance and power the 782d would have more power but as far as physical size the 982 is a larger machine? 782's are about the same size and weight as the machines that came before it, except of course twin cylinder power

#6 Amigatec OFFLINE  

Amigatec

Collector of Rusty Junk

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5899
  • 2,023 Thanks
  • 3,172 posts

Posted January 08, 2012 - 06:16 AM

Also the 982 is a Super GT, the frame is longer and it set higher.

#7 IHCubGuy OFFLINE  

IHCubGuy

Tractorholic

• Member No: 3438
  • 1,356 Thanks
  • 1,474 posts

Posted January 09, 2012 - 08:47 PM

so are far as performance and power the 782d would have more power but as far as physical size the 982 is a larger machine? 782's are about the same size and weight as the machines that came before it, except of course twin cylinder power

The 782D was never built by IH, it was built after MTD bought the Cub Cadet name and it became Cub Cadet Corporation. The 782D is nothing more than an MTD built 882 with a different paint color and stickers on it. Otherwise under the paint and branding decals they are 100% identical. My dad owns a 782D and its a nice little tractor. He also owns an IH built 982 as well and it also is a nice tractor to own and use. There is probably a dead heat between the 782D and the IH built 982 as to which is the most desireable for an IH collector to own.

As for power the 982 is bigger. The horizontally oppossed Onan B43G twin in them is rated at 20HP while the inline 3 Kubota D600 in the 782D is rated at 15HP. The same goes for physical size as well. The 982 is a "Super" garden tractor and the 782D is a standard frame tractor.

As far as the transmissions in the IH built versus the CCC built 82 series it's a toss up depending on how you look at it. The IH built units are all cast iron where as the CCC units are an aluminum housing that has steel flanges in it wherever a bearing sits. The IH built units have a coarse spline ring and pinion in them and the CCC units have a fine spline ring and pinion in them which is more desirable than the IH coarse spline. The CCC units also have a different carrier as well which is stonger than the old IH unit and many pullers swap these 2 parts out of the CCC built units into the older cast cub rear for a super strong setup. CCC did some things right with the 82 series and also its replacement the xx12 series, it wasn't all bad (at least not at first). I would NEVER be afraid of ANY 82 series that was properly maintained and in fact would probably lean more towards a later one to get the Series 2 engine or an even later Mag 18.

Also on your question "will there ever be a good GT built under the Cub Cadet name ever again?" I say Yes and it's allready built and has been out there for sale for several years now. It's the Cub Cadet/Yanmar sub-copmpact line. I think people need to look on what we bought in the past as a "GT" and what we buy now as a GT. I contend they are two completely different things. Every new generation of product grows in size and capabilties of work it can perform be it a new GT, a new truck, a new 4-wheeler ect, ect. They are always bigger and more capable in some way. So a GT from yesteryear is now a sub compact tractor and what IH built as a lawn tractor is now big enough that we look at them as a true GT when they are not. I believe if we look at what a new Cub Cadet cost back then spec'd out with a mower deck, rear 3point lift, garden plow, snowblade, electric start, fenders, weights, chains and so on and then compare that to what a new so called "GT" tractor cost today and adjusted for inflation your in a whole different ballgame and I would bet the Cub from back then is closer to a sub compact in cost.

Edited by IHCubGuy, January 09, 2012 - 09:19 PM.

• RAJ and Toolpartzman have said thanks

#8 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,280 Thanks
  • 28,615 posts

Posted January 09, 2012 - 09:04 PM

Here is a link to a Cub Spec sheet for the 582-982

Cub 582 - 982 Spec Sheet - Manuals - Garden Tractor Talk - Forums
  • RAJ said thank you

#9 sam s OFFLINE  

sam s

• Member No: 6791
  • 3 Thanks
  • 23 posts

Posted January 11, 2012 - 09:21 PM

I like the 82's i have a 1812 and the power the Magnums put out is unreal! CCC built the 82's are as tough as the IH one's. If you want a super i go with a 2072 same as a 982 but the motor and red paint.

#10 Toolpartzman OFFLINE  

Toolpartzman

Fun With Horsepower

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 7171
  • 468 Thanks
  • 1,280 posts

Posted February 20, 2012 - 06:04 PM

Excellent points IHcubguy- Those of us who've been around for a few decades have lived through "purpose-built" in nearly every consumer product imaginable. That includes the "throwaway" society, and consumers of all attitudes. It also includes some who can can keep a "piece of junk" serviced and running for years and some who can't find the oil filter.
  • RAJ and IHCubGuy have said thanks

#11 daytime dave OFFLINE  

daytime dave

Live long and prosper

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 531
  • 4,485 Thanks
  • 6,353 posts

Posted February 21, 2012 - 11:29 AM

The 82's are nice GT's. Any of them are nice, but the 982 was the king as far as I can see fo
rom the ones I have seen.

#12 4SPEED OFFLINE  

4SPEED
  • Member No: 8733
  • 6 Thanks
  • 22 posts

Posted February 29, 2012 - 10:55 PM

the 582 and up (IH) built are tuff as nails. its easy to tell them apart from MTD. IH built cubs have the cast iron rear end.

Posted Image

Edited by 4SPEED, February 29, 2012 - 10:56 PM.