• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 oldcars OFFLINE  

oldcars

• Member No: 8120
  • 0 Thanks
  • 1 posts

Posted January 05, 2012 - 09:21 PM

I have 92 LX 172 JD lawn tractor. I replaced the original electric clutch last spring and used it :confuse: for 3 to four hours a week all year with no additional problems. Since I have replaced the clutch I have noticed sparks coming from underneath in the clutch area when I get on uneven surfaces more 3 inches difference. I never notice this before. I hear no grinding or unusual noises and it continues to mow. I looked and it appears their is scorched area on the tie rod that runs very close to the front drive pulley by design. There is no rub rub marks on the pulley and I engaged the mower with raised to see if any thing was rubbing, nothing found, The rod is not bent but sure does look like something has rub enough to leave a mark, Any ideas?

#2 caseguy OFFLINE  

caseguy

Connoisseur of Rusty Junk

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 906
  • 1,624 Thanks
  • 5,600 posts

Posted January 05, 2012 - 10:41 PM

:wave: oldcars Welcome to GTTalk! I'm not familiar with the LX172, so no immediate help from me. I'm sure that someone will be along shortly though. If you could post up some pics of the problem area, it might give us a better idea on how to help. Thanks for signing up!

#3 Alc ONLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1094
  • 5,458 Thanks
  • 6,624 posts

Posted January 06, 2012 - 08:41 AM

Welcome to GTtalk oldcars , can't help you out either but maybe you could wrap some electrical tape around the tie rod and see if it gets rubbed off after some use , could the motor be flexing in the mounts ? Al

#4 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted January 06, 2012 - 09:00 AM

Welcome to the forum. It appears that something has changed to reduce the clearance between the pulley and tie rod. I would check the frame intergity and the front end for slack in the axle pivot, spindles and tie rod ends. The other possibility is that the motor or the pulley have moved. You should check the motor mounts and the clutch/pulley assembly to make sure nothing is loose. A picture would help, as others have said.

#5 Toolpartzman OFFLINE  

Toolpartzman

Fun With Horsepower

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 7171
  • 468 Thanks
  • 1,280 posts

Posted January 08, 2012 - 04:14 PM

Welcome oldcars. I have a couple of these LX series-172 and 176. and it appears something has come loose-clutch, engine mts. etc. There's not a lot of clearance there but certainly enough to account for your terrain change -IMO. Try to get a pic while you're checking and perhaps we can be of more help.