#1 redcarkids OFFLINE  

redcarkids

Tractorholic

• Member No: 7555
  • 242 Thanks
  • 464 posts

Posted January 05, 2012 - 07:15 PM

bolens light.jpg
Ok I need to know if this part of the linkage is bent and should be straight or is this part supposed to be bent down and have a slight twist? My gut tells me its bent but I did not want to tear it apart and straighten it if this was designed this way for a reason. It is the passenger side.

Attached Thumbnails

• downsized_0104120500.jpg
  • bolens 0.jpg

#2 Bolens 1000 ONLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 12,701 Thanks
  • 17,208 posts

Posted January 05, 2012 - 07:51 PM

Its Bent

It should have a very slight bend in it but, it should be mostly straight
  • redcarkids said thank you

#3 redcarkids OFFLINE  

redcarkids

Tractorholic

• 242 Thanks
  • 464 posts

Posted January 05, 2012 - 09:35 PM

guess this will be my friday project then. thank Doc

#4 redcarkids OFFLINE  

redcarkids

Tractorholic

• 242 Thanks
  • 464 posts

Posted January 07, 2012 - 07:24 PM

downsized_0106021451.jpg got her straigtened out today.. with the weather here being in the 50's friday i power washed the mower with a little help of engine degeaser. found some brown and white paint i didn't know i had on her. got to run her around the yard for about a hour, charged the new battery. I did notice somthng and maybe you guys will know more. When getting in the grass from the driveway the mower tended to slow down a little. also going up a slight hill, going down of course it sped up. I know its 47 years old but is this just wear in the transmission or am I looking at another problem? The reason i ask this is my junk John Deere 120 acted this way with less then 200 hr and the transmisson went out of it completely. That was a $500.00 repair. This was the first time this mower has run in 12-15 years other then a 5 min teat a week ago after I got the new belts on. I put new gear oil in it.

Attached Thumbnails

• downsized_0107121045.jpg

Edited by redcarkids, January 07, 2012 - 07:31 PM.

#5 Bolens 1000 ONLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 12,701 Thanks
  • 17,208 posts

Posted January 07, 2012 - 08:03 PM

The old 900 Looks great! :bounce:

When going up the hill, where about did you have the throttle?
The transmissions Will whine in reverse and 3rd gear , its normal.

If it is slowing down considerably in rough terrain, your clutch may be slipping

#6 Bruce Dorsi ONLINE  

Bruce Dorsi

Old, but not dead -- yet!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1525
  • 3,179 Thanks
  • 2,148 posts

Posted January 08, 2012 - 12:04 AM

[ATTACH=CONFIG]27787[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]27786[/ATTACH] When getting in the grass from the driveway the mower tended to slow down a little. also going up a slight hill, going down of course it sped up. I know its 47 years old but is this just wear in the transmission or am I looking at another problem?

The rear-axle end play may need to be adjusted. .......It is not a difficult job, but must be done correctly. ......If it is neglected for too long, damage to the transaxle can occur. .....The procedure is posted in the manual section, but here is a direct link:
Bolens Rear-Axle End Play Adjustment - Manuals - Garden Tractor Talk - Forums

Also, as Brian said, the clutch may be slipping.

Although it is less common, the flanged coupling on the input shaft of the transaxle may be worn and slipping. ......I have also seen the rubber coupling shear, but still allow the tractor to move unless it is under a heavy load.
  • Bolens 1000 and redcarkids have said thanks

#7 redcarkids OFFLINE  

redcarkids

Tractorholic

• 242 Thanks
  • 464 posts

Posted January 08, 2012 - 02:07 PM

thanks Bruce printed the manual.

#8 redcarkids OFFLINE  

redcarkids

Tractorholic

• 242 Thanks
  • 464 posts

Posted January 08, 2012 - 02:21 PM

The old 900 Looks great! :bounce:

When going up the hill, where about did you have the throttle?
The transmissions Will whine in reverse and 3rd gear , its normal.

If it is slowing down considerably in rough terrain, your clutch may be slipping

I was not at full throttle just crusing around the yard and driveway. I also noticed when taking off, when letting out of the clutch, it wanted to lurch forward. When in 3rd gear hi range, if i did this to fast it would almost kill the motor. Now there again i was running half throttle, i would then quickly give it more gas and it would come out of it. If I let out as slow as I could it was better but still seemed to want to catch "right now" still. In all gears as i hit the grass from the driveway it seemed to slow down like it was under a load. Since i just powerwashed it i thought maybe ther was slippage like a wet belt but after rideing it for a hour it still did it.
Since it had not ran for a long period of time i was learly of running it full throttle. When I got back in the shop I did open her up and man did she have power. I just hate to runn a engine wide open without working it. I noticed no whine in any gear, like i had with the John Deere 120 when it went out. The transmission did not sound strained.