#1 DanP OFFLINE  

DanP

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 6989
  • 276 Thanks
  • 467 posts

Posted January 05, 2012 - 05:55 PM

My B10 had a serial number tag that was painted over and part of it was missing. When I tried to remove the old pait it all came off so I have no idea what the serial number is. Is there another way of finding out, like is it stamped some where?

#2 simplicityac nut OFFLINE  

simplicityac nut

• Member No: 7897
  • 18 Thanks
  • 77 posts

Posted January 05, 2012 - 07:29 PM

im assumin u have the 10 horse briggs on ur tractor,if u go to the briggs website and type in the full serial number off the flywheel shroud,should be on the left side,itll tell u the year of the tractor but as far as it being stamped somewhere else i dont think it is lol,hope this helps

#3 timflury OFFLINE  

timflury

• Member No: 7707
  • 6 Thanks
  • 21 posts

Posted January 05, 2012 - 08:27 PM

What sort of information are you looking for from the serial number???

Considering it has the original engine, it should be a 243431 10hp Briggs. The first two numbers of the code will tell you the model year of the engine. There wasn't really any rhyme or reason in the serial numbers of the tractors, just the order in which they came off the assembly line.

The model number of the tractor WAS on the tag. That will tell you a lot more information needed as far as finding literature and such. The sad part of it is the fact that there isn't any downloadable manuals strickly for the A/C branded tractors, you can however download the Simplicity equivalents. Sometimes there are copies for sale on fleabay.

X-Ref Table

#4 Michiganmobileman OFFLINE  

Michiganmobileman

Old Tractor Addict

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5678
  • 1,235 Thanks
  • 1,842 posts

Posted January 05, 2012 - 09:15 PM

im assumin u have the 10 horse briggs on ur tractor,if u go to the briggs website and type in the full serial number off the flywheel shroud,should be on the left side,itll tell u the year of the tractor but as far as it being stamped somewhere else i dont think it is lol,hope this helps

What sort of information are you looking for from the serial number???

Considering it has the original engine, it should be a 243431 10hp Briggs. The first two numbers of the code will tell you the model year of the engine. There wasn't really any rhyme or reason in the serial numbers of the tractors, just the order in which they came off the assembly line.

The model number of the tractor WAS on the tag. That will tell you a lot more information needed as far as finding literature and such. The sad part of it is the fact that there isn't any downloadable manuals strickly for the A/C branded tractors, you can however download the Simplicity equivalents. Sometimes there are copies for sale on fleabay.

X-Ref Table

:yeah_that::ditto::yeah_that:
Right on both counts. Like Tim says you can download manuals for Simplicity models which were nearly identical to the A/Cs.

#5 DanP OFFLINE  

DanP

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • 276 Thanks
  • 467 posts

Posted January 05, 2012 - 11:41 PM

I have all the manuals I was just going to have a new serial number tag made when I restore it and wondered if the serial number was anywhere else on the tractor. AC stamped the serial number in the rear housing on their tractors.

#6 DanP OFFLINE  

DanP

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • 276 Thanks
  • 467 posts

Posted January 06, 2012 - 07:20 AM

The engine is a 243431 and the type and code is 0529-01/ 720225 Does that make it a 1965?

#7 simplicityac nut OFFLINE  

simplicityac nut

• Member No: 7897
  • 18 Thanks
  • 77 posts

Posted January 06, 2012 - 03:14 PM

the last six numbers,720225 is how u tell what year the engine is,it would be made feburary 25,1972,they put em on the engines weird,year first,month and then day,i wouldnt know this if it wasnt for an old ac guy that ive been talkin to over the past few months,hes a wealth of knowledge lol,as for the mower im not sure how u would tell unless it has special parts that they made for a certain year but not famaliar with that

#8 timflury OFFLINE  

timflury

• Member No: 7707
  • 6 Thanks
  • 21 posts

Posted January 06, 2012 - 07:22 PM

Well, a definate repower was done.

Sooooo, I'm not even sure A/C used the same serial number system that Simplicity did. As far as narrowing down a model year, A/C changed their logo from the gear to the triangle in 1965. That alone should get you close.

If it's a decal you're looking for, try this, Click it and stick it I'm sure you will find something close to what you need. Unfortunately, you may have to guess at the numbers, or find members that had theirs reproduced and ask them for a picture, then just change a number, or two on the tag. I promise, I won't tell anyone that you have an incorrect S/N tag on your tractor. hehehe

#9 skunkhome OFFLINE  

skunkhome

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 8044
  • 322 Thanks
  • 455 posts

Posted January 07, 2012 - 01:07 PM

Unfortunately the tag is the only place the serial number is recorded. As far as I know Simplicity serial number sequence is a mystery also. In any of the series the most usable information is the mfg#. Simplicity and AC have separate lines of mfg number that merge into one new system in 1974 upon the closure of the AC plant in Lexington, SC.

#10 skunkhome OFFLINE  

skunkhome

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 322 Thanks
  • 455 posts

Posted January 07, 2012 - 01:25 PM

Do you have a late or early model b10?

Early model 2025042 (electric start)

Late model 2025069 (manual lift) or 2025070 ( power lift)

#11 DanP OFFLINE  

DanP

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • 276 Thanks
  • 467 posts

Posted January 07, 2012 - 06:27 PM

Electric start and manual lift.

#12 skunkhome OFFLINE  

skunkhome

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 322 Thanks
  • 455 posts

Posted January 08, 2012 - 09:26 PM

What color is the transmission? Black or yellow?