• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Simplicity728 OFFLINE  

Simplicity728

• Member No: 8112
  • 0 Thanks
  • 1 posts

Posted January 04, 2012 - 10:41 PM

1. The B&S books say you can use SAE 10W, 10W-30, and 10W-40 down to 0 degrees F. I was wondering what temp SAE 15W-40 can safely be used down to with out any engine start up damage. This would for an 8hp Briggs I/C

2. Anybody know why the the aluminum cyl. Briggs engines idle at 1750 RPM and the cast iron and cast iron sleeved engines idle at 1200 RPM?

#2 caseguy OFFLINE  

caseguy

Connoisseur of Rusty Junk

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 906
  • 1,624 Thanks
  • 5,600 posts

Posted January 05, 2012 - 08:20 PM

I'm not an oil expert, but I would say that if Briggs didn't list it in their book, then they don't recommend it in that engine. That doesn't necessarily mean that it wouldn't protect the engine, it's just not what they thought you should use. As it's not recommended, it's a "use at your own risk" scenario though.

#3 cookiemonster OFFLINE  

cookiemonster

Village Idiot

• Member No: 6338
  • 406 Thanks
  • 1,274 posts

Posted January 06, 2012 - 09:29 AM

I don't think that you'd get any damage, you'd just be hard pressed to start it when the weather is too cold for the oil.

#4 Reverend Blair OFFLINE  

Reverend Blair

Tractorholic

• Member No: 1659
  • 501 Thanks
  • 952 posts

Posted January 07, 2012 - 10:54 AM

With the new oils I just use a 5w-30 synthetic all year around. We have temps that vary from +30C in summer to -30C in winter, and I've never had a problem.

As a general rule of thumb though, the lower number only provides lubrication for a short period until the oil/engine warms up, so you are better off with a lower number in cool weather. Not sure why you would want to use a 15w-30 at all.