Garden Tractors and Parts on eBay

Welcome to Garden Tractor Talk Forums

GTtalk is the place to go if you are a garden tractor collector or someone looking for information on your favorite tractor. We have interactive forums, registry, tractor / implement manuals, photo galleries, articles, show coverage, tech tips and how tos, classifieds and much more.

You are currently viewing our site as a guest which provides limited access. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate with other members, vote on polls, upload images and attachments as well as many other special features. Registration is quick and easy and best of all completely free!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Photo
- - - - -

Help Replacement Engine for David bradley walk behind tractor

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 cid25136 OFFLINE  

cid25136

• Member No: 8109
  • 0 Thanks
  • 3 posts

Posted January 04, 2012 - 08:00 PM

"i have an old david bradley tractor 57560 which has a model 8 brigg and stratton engine...looking for replacement engine that has more power then the orginal engine and wil fit on the engine plate perfectly....":mad2:

#2 cid25136 OFFLINE  

cid25136

• 0 Thanks
  • 3 posts

Posted January 04, 2012 - 10:30 PM

"i have an old david bradley tractor 57560 which has a model 8 brigg and stratton engine...looking for replacement engine that has more power then the orginal engine and wil fit on the engine plate perfectly....":mad2:

I was told a Tecumseh 3 or a 5 hp snowblower engine will fit perfectly,,, does anyone know the model for both engine ?

#3 Lauber1 OFFLINE  

Lauber1

DB restorer

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 4926
  • 1,679 Thanks
  • 1,802 posts

Posted January 05, 2012 - 01:44 AM

welcome to the group. Unfortunatly what you want isnt going to happen, it could 100's of DB users would be throwiong away there old engines and going that way. I dont know the model for the tec blower engine, but if its a blower engine then it wont have any airfilter system and you dont want to go there. The main troulbe with these tractors is the base of the orginal engine is small and it has a special aircleaner tube that allows the hood to go down over the engine without hitting it. Another problem is there were all built to use a rope starter and not a recoil like modern engine mostly use. The whole in the hood side is to small for the recoil to fit though, and still be able to close the hood down right. Seem to me that there was once talk of a Honda engine that might fit under the hood and bolt in place. Your orginal one should have had 2 1/2 to 2 3/4 hp, but your might be able to get a 3 to 4hp newer style briggs to fit with the right carb change and going back to a rope starter.

#4 Amigatec OFFLINE  

Amigatec

Collector of Rusty Junk

• Contributor
  • Member No: 5899
  • 1,998 Thanks
  • 3,172 posts

Posted January 05, 2012 - 06:02 AM

A later model B&S will bolt on the engine plate without drilling any holes. But you have to remove the hood.

Posted Image

If you do decide to replace the motor with a newer one I would like to buy the old one.

This motor came on a 1978 TroyBilt Pony tiller.

#5 wvbuzzmaster OFFLINE  

wvbuzzmaster

Squeaky Wheel

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1792
  • 1,973 Thanks
  • 5,582 posts

Posted January 05, 2012 - 01:36 PM

It can be done because I have bought a few over the years and a one had a 70s briggs 5hp under the hood. They had the recoil on it and the bulky tank/carb setup on it to boot. Of course they had an extra set of holes in the engine plate and slid it all the way back but it worked. NEVER believe it can't be done, people have been doing the impossible for years. All it takes is a good eye for the right engine and a little creativity. If you need ideas just go read some of Ray's (jdcrawler) threads. His projects are way more than a lot of us can accomplish, but the creativity is phenomenal.

#6 Amigatec OFFLINE  

Amigatec

Collector of Rusty Junk

• Contributor
  • 1,998 Thanks
  • 3,172 posts

Posted January 05, 2012 - 08:04 PM

Some of these had HM60 Tecumseh's on them but the Tec motors had a plate that bolted to the bottom of the motor. This motor is on my TroyBilt EconoHorse Tiller, the plate was then bolted to a spacer plate on the motor mount. I believe the bolt pattern on the plate is the same as the B&S motor.

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_20120105_170701.jpg
  • IMG_20120105_170656.jpg
  • IMG_20120105_170648.jpg
  • IMG_20120105_170227.jpg
  • IMG_20120105_170619.jpg

#7 Amigatec OFFLINE  

Amigatec

Collector of Rusty Junk

• Contributor
  • 1,998 Thanks
  • 3,172 posts

Posted January 05, 2012 - 09:02 PM

If your Model 8 looks like this one it's an Early 8 and 2 1/4 hp, if it is a square top it is a Later 8 and 2 1/2 hp.

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_0368.jpg

#8 DanO OFFLINE  

DanO

Greasemonkey

• Contributor
  • Member No: 1918
  • 139 Thanks
  • 349 posts

Posted January 06, 2012 - 01:17 PM

"If You Put Your Mind To It, You Can Accomplish Anything."

Dr. Emmit Brown

Attached Thumbnails

• back-future-6.jpg

#9 cid25136 OFFLINE  

cid25136

• 0 Thanks
  • 3 posts

Posted January 06, 2012 - 06:39 PM

I would like to thank each and everyone on this site for there incredible and helpful input, lots of great information to take in,,,it seems that the engine part is all taken care of,,,now my next question is getting a cowling for the tractor ,,then modifying it to fit the new engine...My brother-inlaw is very handing with a welding machines and is willing to expand the size of the cowling,,,first things first,,,does anyone have an old cowling for sale? A 57560 David Bradley cowling solid enough to withstanding modification? Please let me know if you have one for sale,,,,thanks again...

#10 Amigatec OFFLINE  

Amigatec

Collector of Rusty Junk

• Contributor
  • 1,998 Thanks
  • 3,172 posts

Posted January 06, 2012 - 07:44 PM

I would be still interested in the old motor.

#11 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 18,666 Thanks
  • 23,764 posts

Posted January 07, 2012 - 08:29 AM

:bigrofl: Every time I see this thread's title, I see "Hip Replacement"! After both Mom & Dad getting new hips this year, I guess it makes me susceptible! :bigrofl::bigrofl:

#12 Amigatec OFFLINE  

Amigatec

Collector of Rusty Junk

• Contributor
  • 1,998 Thanks
  • 3,172 posts

Posted January 07, 2012 - 08:42 AM

You use your David Bradley for very many years and you need a Hip Replacement. LOL.

#13 BeeMan OFFLINE  

BeeMan
  • Member No: 9511
  • 0 Thanks
  • 1 posts

Posted April 15, 2012 - 02:24 PM

Are you going to sell your original engine? If so, what are you asking?