20 replies to this topic

#16 cookiemonster OFFLINE  

cookiemonster

Village Idiot

• Member No: 6338
  • 406 Thanks
  • 1,274 posts

Posted January 14, 2012 - 09:07 AM

Okay, got the new spacers installed, added a few pictures, it adds an inch to the clearance between steering arm and chains. Now I've got 9 inches of snow to clean up, getting that west michigan lake effect!

Was looking at your pictures. In particular, the one with the bungies. The end clips do not need to go in the very last link of chain. It looks like you could get it tighter by a link or two, or no? Whoa, wait a minute, took a second look and see that it looks like somebody squeezed the connecting link in on that side. That's got to be undone so that you don't have to take the wheels off everytime the chains need to go on/off.

Next... Tire chains for the Corvette.

#17 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,343 Thanks
  • 28,648 posts

Posted January 14, 2012 - 11:54 AM

Okay, got the new spacers installed, added a few pictures, it adds an inch to the clearance between steering arm and chains. Now I've got 9 inches of snow to clean up, getting that west michigan lake effect!

Glad the spacers are working. Good luck with the snow.

I think there is a twist in your chain somewhere. The link that looks like it's sticking out is usually a sign that it has flipped thru itself somewhere while in storage.

I would see if you can get it to lay flat, if not, I would take it off and get it straightened out. With it the way it is, if you hook onto something with that crossmember, it could open the end of the link up.

http://gardentractor...teer-image-jpg/

#18 Don Campbell OFFLINE  

Don Campbell

Tractorholic

• Member No: 7818
  • 1,373 Thanks
  • 1,092 posts

Posted January 17, 2012 - 07:04 PM

I think I read they do not recommend chains on the aws but if someone can make them work more power to them. It's a shame such a powerful little tractor and can't use it for snow. Just have to be careful and keep an eye on them for rubbing or shifting on the tire too much. I only mow with my 455 aws. But if I didn't have the 455 2 wheel steer I probably would have tried it too.

#19 Misterbear OFFLINE  

Misterbear

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 7904
  • 5 Thanks
  • 46 posts

Posted January 20, 2012 - 07:56 PM

I know you are fixed up now but don't those wheels have a pin or something that does not allow them to be reversed?

Username, I did check with JD first to make sure I wasn't going to mess anything up. I did put spacers on but did not reverse the wheels. You are right the wheels do have pins that prohibit switching. Thanks for the concern!

#20 Misterbear OFFLINE  

Misterbear

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 5 Thanks
  • 46 posts

Posted January 20, 2012 - 08:00 PM

I think I read they do not recommend chains on the aws but if someone can make them work more power to them. It's a shame such a powerful little tractor and can't use it for snow. Just have to be careful and keep an eye on them for rubbing or shifting on the tire too much. I only mow with my 455 aws. But if I didn't have the 455 2 wheel steer I probably would have tried it too.

Don, I did have the concern about using the chains with AWS and seems not too many people do, most of them bought that model for just mowing. If I mow with it I will have to remove the spacers as the deck could rub on one of the wheels. Thanks for bringing it up!

#21 Misterbear OFFLINE  

Misterbear

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 5 Thanks
  • 46 posts

Posted January 21, 2012 - 08:29 PM

Was looking at your pictures. In particular, the one with the bungies. The end clips do not need to go in the very last link of chain. It looks like you could get it tighter by a link or two, or no? Whoa, wait a minute, took a second look and see that it looks like somebody squeezed the connecting link in on that side. That's got to be undone so that you don't have to take the wheels off everytime the chains need to go on/off.

Next... Tire chains for the Corvette.

CM-This was the first time for me putting chains on. I still not sure if I'll take them off as I'm planning on using this tractor only for snow. That is unless I decide to mount the plow on the corvette:smile1: