other kohler rebuild question

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Salatino OFFLINE  

• Member No: 1100
  • 29 Thanks
  • 188 posts

Posted January 02, 2012 - 09:44 PM

ok first I wanted to say the post about honing was alot of greaf info. Ok now I'll get to my question . I'm not to far away from getting my motor looked at / rebuilt . Not looking to build a race motor or anything like that , just looking to have a good runin motor thats gonna be reliable . I'm in the cincinnati ohio area , does anyone know of a place that does good work in the area ? I dont wanna put a ton of money in it but I do want it done right. I dont wanna take it to the first machine shop I find thats the cheapest. lol I know nothing about machine work, Another question i was wanting to know, rod bearings - I know they did not come with any and those motors are basically hard to kill. is it a waste of money to have a rod machined for bearings on a basically stock engine. I would like to have the valves replaced and the keepers. is anyone that might be reading this work in a machine shop or know someone. I'd rather take it to somone that has done a bunch of these and is good at it , then take it to any ole machine shop. thanks everyone for readin andif you have any info please let me know. oh yeah , i was thinkin about brian miller . what do ya think

#2 Gtractor ONLINE  

The Tractor Hoarder

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 782
  • 6,384 Thanks
  • 3,807 posts

Posted January 02, 2012 - 11:34 PM

I always have inserts machined into the rods on K series Kohlers when I rebuild them. It is well worth the extra expense and makes them bullet proof in stock form.
  • Rick Brumback said thank you

#3 Rick Brumback OFFLINE  

Rick Brumback

• Member No: 4355
  • 19 Thanks
  • 124 posts

Posted January 03, 2012 - 06:34 PM

find a good shop,with a good reputation,do a little research first and go with the shop you are comfortable with.