Gtractor

The Tractor Hoarder

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 782
  • 6,611 Thanks
  • 3,911 posts

Posted January 02, 2012 - 05:08 PM

Good thing I didn't make a new years resolution to not drag home any more tractors. :wallbanging:
Today I went and got this Wheelhorse C85. It was given to me by a friend who said her former SIL tore the tranny out of it. It is obvious the shifter lever does nothing when moved - no notches or detent. Supposed to run perfect but been sitting a couple of years. She is getting things ready for an auction in the spring to sell off her late husbands tools and I told her the cast iron Cub Cadet wheel weights were worth more than the broken tractor. She said since I play with little tractors I could have the tractor for parts if I took the wheel weights off so they could be put in the auction.

bud c85.jpg

#2 dstaggs OFFLINE  

dstaggs

In Remembrance, RIP Dale

• RIP
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 228
  • 553 Thanks
  • 1,781 posts

Posted January 02, 2012 - 05:55 PM

Good Deal

#3 Amigatec OFFLINE  

Amigatec

Collector of Rusty Junk

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5899
  • 2,023 Thanks
  • 3,172 posts

Posted January 02, 2012 - 05:56 PM

I could use those IH wheel weights. LOL

#4 cp7 OFFLINE  

cp7

• Contributor
  • Member No: 1369
  • 58 Thanks
  • 148 posts

Posted January 02, 2012 - 06:23 PM

Nice score G. That'll teach you to chose your words a little more carefully. Should have said you won't buy not drag any tractors.

On a side note I just saw that your up north of me. Do you know of a guy named Jerry up there? Supposed to have a hundred GTs.

#5 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,271 Thanks
  • 28,608 posts

Posted January 02, 2012 - 07:05 PM

Great Haul. Hopefully it's just something simple. Might be a pin out of the H/L or the shifter.

#6 Gtractor ONLINE  

Gtractor

The Tractor Hoarder

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 6,611 Thanks
  • 3,911 posts

Posted January 02, 2012 - 07:31 PM

On a side note I just saw that your up north of me. Do you know of a guy named Jerry up there? Supposed to have a hundred GTs.

Well, If you have the right "Jerry" he has more like 300 + GT's.
His son Kris has just over 100! :blush2:

Edited by MH81, January 02, 2012 - 09:16 PM.

#7 cp7 OFFLINE  

cp7

• Contributor
  • Member No: 1369
  • 58 Thanks
  • 148 posts

Posted January 03, 2012 - 12:20 AM

I run an ad on Clist and jgolden has replied many times.
Said he had a hundred GTs.

#8 Gtractor ONLINE  

Gtractor

The Tractor Hoarder

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 6,611 Thanks
  • 3,911 posts

Posted January 03, 2012 - 12:26 AM

Thats a mighty modest estimate on his part! What part of the sue-me / I mean sho-me state you from?

#9 mjodrey OFFLINE  

mjodrey

Accumulator

• Contributor
  • Member No: 92
  • 2,343 Thanks
  • 13,481 posts

Posted January 03, 2012 - 05:32 AM

Hey ,great deal.

#10 Gtractor ONLINE  

Gtractor

The Tractor Hoarder

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 6,611 Thanks
  • 3,911 posts

Posted January 03, 2012 - 05:47 PM

Pushed the Horse in the shop today and checked it over good. With a light cleaning of the points and a battery it runs perfect. I took the fenders and seat off thinking I was gonna pull the shift tower outta the tranny but it don't work that way. It looks like the Uni-Drive has to be completely disassembled to get to the shifter. :wallbanging: I did find if I push down firmly while shifting it does go into every gear. The hi/low works fine - just the main shifter is the problem. It is clear to see the shifter is bent where someone has gotten rough with it. The paint has popped off where the bend is. I took the tractor out for a test drive all gears are smooth and quiet. I feel it will be an easy fix but the bad part is a few years ago I gave away a C165 [I think that was the #] with a twin Briggs that had a perfectly good tranny and a much bigger deck that wouldda fit under this one. :mecry:

bud horse.jpg

#11 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted January 03, 2012 - 05:51 PM

Nice catch Kris. Sounds like you got a nice project tractor there.

#12 caseguy OFFLINE  

caseguy

Connoisseur of Rusty Junk

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 906
  • 1,624 Thanks
  • 5,600 posts

Posted January 03, 2012 - 06:04 PM

Ya gotta love the freebees! That's in really nice original condition Kris! It looks to be fairly free of rust and damage! Careful with that fender pan, they fetch good money if they're not broken! Nice score all the way around! Congrats!

#13 GWest OFFLINE  

GWest

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 130
  • 450 Thanks
  • 408 posts

Posted January 05, 2012 - 07:05 AM

Pushed the Horse in the shop today and checked it over good. With a light cleaning of the points and a battery it runs perfect. I took the fenders and seat off thinking I was gonna pull the shift tower outta the tranny but it don't work that way. It looks like the Uni-Drive has to be completely disassembled to get to the shifter. :wallbanging: I did find if I push down firmly while shifting it does go into every gear. The hi/low works fine - just the main shifter is the problem. It is clear to see the shifter is bent where someone has gotten rough with it. The paint has popped off where the bend is. I took the tractor out for a test drive all gears are smooth and quiet. I feel it will be an easy fix but the bad part is a few years ago I gave away a C165 [I think that was the #] with a twin Briggs that had a perfectly good tranny and a much bigger deck that wouldda fit under this one. :mecry:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]27587[/ATTACH]

That shifter does not look bent to me. The paint is worn off by the shifter hitting the ends of the slot in the cover.

Remove that cover and pull the shifter boot up if it has one. Place the transmission in what you thing is neutral. Loosen the 1/4" locknut on the dog-point set screw and back the screw out until you can pull the shifter straight up and out. The donut on the shifter is retained by a 5/32" x 13/16" rollpin (#32121-114) that may have sheared allowing the donut to turn of the shifter. The rollpin shares the hole with the dog-point set screw so the pin is flush with the back of the donut so the set screw can enter the front. Boots are still available from Toro and necessary to keep water out of the transmission.
Look into the transmission and make sure the tabs on the 2 shift rails are centered in the hole. If not use a long screwdriver to center them and reinstall the shifter between the tabs.

Garry
  • tractorman604, Gtractor, MH81 and 1 other said thanks

#14 Gtractor ONLINE  

Gtractor

The Tractor Hoarder

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 6,611 Thanks
  • 3,911 posts

Posted January 05, 2012 - 08:06 AM

HEY THANKS GARRY!!!! I will give that a try when I get moving later today. I pulled the shift boot up but didn't see any way to remove the shifter from the top side.

#15 cookiemonster OFFLINE  

cookiemonster

Village Idiot

• Member No: 6338
  • 406 Thanks
  • 1,274 posts

Posted January 05, 2012 - 08:55 AM

Good freebie. Put 'er to good use.