#1 Lovintractorin OFFLINE  

Lovintractorin

Tinkerer

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 4180
  • 159 Thanks
  • 603 posts

Posted January 02, 2012 - 04:39 PM

Have been looking for a truck for a couple months. The one I really want is a little over my budget at the moment so I figured I'd get something to use temporarily, how ever long temporarily will be. Had seen this one on craigslist for about a month and didn't pursue it much because I wasn't real keen on the wooden bed and I wanted a diesel. I looked at few that looked worth pursuing and missed a very good deal on a southern Dodge Cummins 1rst generation by about 15 minutes. Went to look at this one last week and liked it because it is a standard, low miles, reputably reliable engine, and not too much rust. Was under coated pretty well for most of its life so just surface rust on the frame. The front fenders are starting to rot but that can be replaced. The lower cab corners are just starting to flake paint but are still solid. Interior is in good condition and it shifts and runs good.

It's a 1995 F150XL, 2 wheel drive, standard,with I6 4.9L gas engine and 95K miles
Here are a few pictures.

PIMG0147.jpg

After looking it over good this afternoon. It looks like it needs one rear light bulb, emergency brake cables, a new front grill ( mounts are broken and it's wired in place) and the trim piece under the grill straightened. It must have had a little bump in the front at some point.

Attached Thumbnails

• PIMG0150.jpg
  • PIMG0149.jpg
  • PIMG0146.jpg
  • PIMG0151.jpg
  • PIMG0148.jpg
  • PIMG0145.jpg

• MH81 said thank you

#2 wvbuzzmaster OFFLINE  

wvbuzzmaster

Squeaky Wheel

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1792
  • 4,492 Thanks
  • 7,341 posts

Posted January 02, 2012 - 06:30 PM

Tucker, that is a sharp looking truck, and that is close enough to a flatbed that you can get 2 tractors in the bed and put the tailgate back on lol. So when are you making the trip southwest to WV?? Also, great truck, you will love that Ford.
  • Lovintractorin said thank you

#3 Lovintractorin OFFLINE  

Lovintractorin

Tinkerer

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 159 Thanks
  • 603 posts

Posted January 02, 2012 - 10:05 PM

Tucker, that is a sharp looking truck, and that is close enough to a flatbed that you can get 2 tractors in the bed and put the tailgate back on lol. So when are you making the trip southwest to WV?? Also, great truck, you will love that Ford.

It does look like a could fit a couple of tractors in there but it needs to be raised up a bit. It has got about 2 inches of sag before the tires rub. Poor planning because the rear axle bumpers have about 6-8 inches of room.

Not sure when I'll be down but hopefully before spring.

#4 wvbuzzmaster OFFLINE  

wvbuzzmaster

Squeaky Wheel

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1792
  • 4,492 Thanks
  • 7,341 posts

Posted January 02, 2012 - 11:31 PM

It does look like a could fit a couple of tractors in there but it needs to be raised up a bit. It has got about 2 inches of sag before the tires rub. Poor planning because the rear axle bumpers have about 6-8 inches of room.

Not sure when I'll be down but hopefully before spring.

The sooner you get here the sooner you can help me clean up my shop lol.

#5 Lauber1 ONLINE  

Lauber1

DB restorer

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 4926
  • 3,440 Thanks
  • 2,796 posts

Posted January 02, 2012 - 11:37 PM

i had one of those about 2 trucks ago. I solved the sagging spring problem by having an extra leaf added. Gave me 6 -800 more payload lbs, for only a couple hunderd dollars. You could look around a junk yard for one with a V-8 engine or one that was 4x4 as they have heavier springs. Another solution would be to put the 12" tractor tires on the truck, then no clearance trouble at all,,,lol.

#6 mjodrey OFFLINE  

mjodrey

Accumulator

• Contributor
  • Member No: 92
  • 2,343 Thanks
  • 13,481 posts

Posted January 03, 2012 - 05:36 AM

Tucker,from the photos,it looks overall like a pretty good truck.

#7 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,371 Thanks
  • 39,644 posts

Posted January 03, 2012 - 05:45 AM

Cool truck, Tucker. Hope it gives you good service.

#8 powerking56 OFFLINE  

powerking56

Collector of stuff

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 359
  • 907 Thanks
  • 1,805 posts

Posted January 03, 2012 - 07:57 AM

Nice looking truck, looks like it should give you some great service.

#9 Bolens 1000 ONLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 12,670 Thanks
  • 17,198 posts

Posted January 03, 2012 - 09:16 AM

Tucker,from the photos,it looks overall like a pretty good truck.

:ditto:

Congrats on the Truck :thumbs:

#10 Lovintractorin OFFLINE  

Lovintractorin

Tinkerer

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 159 Thanks
  • 603 posts

Posted January 03, 2012 - 09:21 AM

Thanks guy's for the comments. I like it better every time I look at it. There is actually less rust than I first thought and hopefully I can deal with, and slow, the rust that is there. Temperature was 12*F this morning and it started right up. Another thing I need to change is move the gas fill location from the middle of the bed to out the side so I can haul loose stuff and still be able to fill up.

#11 Gtractor ONLINE  

Gtractor

The Tractor Hoarder

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 782
  • 6,582 Thanks
  • 3,898 posts

Posted January 03, 2012 - 10:14 AM

Laubers suggestion about the "Add-A-Leaf" spring reminded me of many years ago how my dad solved the squishy suspension problem. He was running a '72 Dodge 1/2 tonner that was a former Missouri Dept. of Conservation pickup and we overworked that pickup something awful. Dad dealt in used tractors and implements back then and had built a heavy 20 foot tandem trailer to haul goodies around. He added one spring per side from a Diamond Reo semi tractor under the back of that half ton Dodge. I remember it having a load of gravel just as full as the bed would hold and sitting completely level.

#12 daytime dave OFFLINE  

daytime dave

Live long and prosper

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 531
  • 4,485 Thanks
  • 6,353 posts

Posted January 03, 2012 - 10:58 AM

Nice truck. Hope you get the little things taken care of quickly and enjoy it.

#13 HDWildBill OFFLINE  

HDWildBill

Freedom is not Free. Thank those in uniform for your freedom.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6354
  • 8,697 Thanks
  • 8,555 posts

Posted January 03, 2012 - 11:37 AM

I like the wooden bed. It makes it different, which I like and it will be easy to repair. Hope it gives you good service.

#14 Lovintractorin OFFLINE  

Lovintractorin

Tinkerer

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 159 Thanks
  • 603 posts

Posted January 03, 2012 - 11:59 AM

Laubers suggestion about the "Add-A-Leaf" spring reminded me ....... a load of gravel just as full as the bed would hold and sitting completely level.

Wow, I'd be worried about the axle and frame. I'd like to add a spring sometime and level it front to back but not sure when I'll get to that.

I like the wooden bed. It makes it different, which I like and it will be easy to repair. Hope it gives you good service.

I like the idea of the wooden bed for modifications but this one I need to put some type of fender flares to keep the mud off the back and top of the cab. Not sure how to do it and still make it look good. Maybe a variation of a flare side style. I also want to isolate the wood from the frame to keep from holding moisture on the metal.

#15 Lovintractorin OFFLINE  

Lovintractorin

Tinkerer

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 159 Thanks
  • 603 posts

Posted January 18, 2012 - 05:53 PM

Alright. I have been working on the truck some. I changed the bed design around and it is now on the road. I still want to change the rear lights and I'm not sure if I like the headache rack. It is just temporary anyway till I have money to put into steel for a better one. My camera didn't want to focus but here is a few pictures of how I looks this evening.

PIMG0198.jpg
PIMG0197.jpg
PIMG0199.jpg
PIMG0196.jpg
Here is a small compartment for holding chains, straps and binders. I still need to put a locking lid on it.
PIMG0200.jpg

Tomorrow if the weather is decent I'll use my sister's camera,(much, much better than mine) and get some better pictures.

Edited by Lovintractorin, January 19, 2012 - 02:01 PM.