• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 jbmorse OFFLINE  

jbmorse

• Member No: 6590
  • 0 Thanks
  • 7 posts

Posted January 02, 2012 - 04:17 PM

How does one go about getting the front wheels off of a tube frame tractor? Forgive the somewhat dumb question but I can't seem to decipher the wheel attachment system! I looked at the parts catalog and saw only a shaft collar on the end of the axle. Do I just find the set screw for this and pull the collar and wheel off?
The manuals don't seem to show this. Probably because most people who owned these tractors would be aware of these things already.
Thanks!

#2 Gtractor ONLINE  

Gtractor

The Tractor Hoarder

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 782
  • 6,624 Thanks
  • 3,917 posts

Posted January 02, 2012 - 04:28 PM

You will have to pop the hubcap off first then wipe the grease away and you will be able to see the collar.

The tiny hubcap on those is only for keeping dirt/moisture out. Its not like a chrome disk that would be only for looks. A whack with a rubber mallet should remove the cap and get you into the goody.

Edited by Gtractor, January 02, 2012 - 04:33 PM.
ad more info

#3 jbmorse OFFLINE  

jbmorse

• Member No: 6590
  • 0 Thanks
  • 7 posts

Posted January 02, 2012 - 04:52 PM

You will have to pop the hubcap off first then wipe the grease away and you will be able to see the collar.

The tiny hubcap on those is only for keeping dirt/moisture out. Its not like a chrome disk that would be only for looks. A whack with a rubber mallet should remove the cap and get you into the goody.

Thanks! I got the caps off, but couldn't see the collar holding the wheel on. Should I be able to just loosen the set screw on the collar and pull it off and then pull the wheel off? Or is there something else in all that grease I should look for?
These thing are probably obvious to most of ya'll but I can't claim to know what I'm doing!

#4 Gtractor ONLINE  

Gtractor

The Tractor Hoarder

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 782
  • 6,624 Thanks
  • 3,917 posts

Posted January 02, 2012 - 05:13 PM

Yes - the wheel should come right off once the set screw or screws are loose. Been so long I can't remember if there are one or two set screws on the collar.

#5 Bolens 1000 ONLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 12,692 Thanks
  • 17,206 posts

Posted January 02, 2012 - 06:27 PM

Yes - the wheel should come right off once the set screw or screws are loose. Been so long I can't remember if there are one or two set screws on the collar.

:ditto:

All you got to do is take out the set screw and pull the collar off. (There is only 1 setscrew)