• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Stimey OFFLINE  

Stimey

• Member No: 7841
  • 1 Thanks
  • 39 posts

Posted January 02, 2012 - 11:33 AM

Before I dive into my 1975 ST10 X I wanted to get your guys advice first. My problem is the idler pulleys, they are just making all kinds of noise, it gets better when I push in on the clutch/brake, do I just buy new idlers or can they be reworked, or is there something I have adjusted wrong?

#2 ducky OFFLINE  

ducky

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 564
  • 1,623 Thanks
  • 3,863 posts

Posted January 02, 2012 - 11:41 AM

I would remove the idles and feel the bearings for roughness when you spin them. If rough, replace them. Measure OD were the belt runs and the ID of the bearing and contact one of our site supporters, the will fix you right up.

#3 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted January 02, 2012 - 04:10 PM

What Ducky said. The bearings dry out and then wear out with age. You may be able to salvage the idler if it's not worn too bad and you can clean out the old bearing and re grease it.

#4 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,280 Thanks
  • 28,615 posts

Posted January 02, 2012 - 07:21 PM

Definately attend to them now, they will only get worse and you may be able to salvage them to one degree or another.

#5 Stimey OFFLINE  

Stimey

• Member No: 7841
  • 1 Thanks
  • 39 posts

Posted January 03, 2012 - 08:57 AM

I will do that this week end, the noise is driving me crazy just thinking about the bearings grinding away. Thanks I didn't know they could be re-greased and etc. I knew I would get the answer here.

#6 cookiemonster OFFLINE  

cookiemonster

Village Idiot

• Member No: 6338
  • 406 Thanks
  • 1,274 posts

Posted January 03, 2012 - 09:05 AM

I will do that this week end, the noise is driving me crazy just thinking about the bearings grinding away. Thanks I didn't know they could be re-greased and etc. I knew I would get the answer here.

Contact me if you can't get part numbers or cross reference because of the age of it. I've had to measure a couple and go elsewhere.

#7 Amigatec OFFLINE  

Amigatec

Collector of Rusty Junk

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5899
  • 2,023 Thanks
  • 3,172 posts

Posted January 03, 2012 - 06:35 PM

I've taken a few bearings apart, cleaned, and replaced them. The wobble drive bearing on the cutter bar on my David Bradley was locked up, I carefully removed the seals and washed the bearing out with hot water in the kitchen sink, reap sucked the bearing, and it's still working. The replacement bearing was going to cost $50, so this was a lot cheaper and it works like new.