Nominations for Tractor of the Month
Garden Tractors and Parts on eBay

Photo
- - - - -

Nominations Now Being Accepted for Featured Tractor of the Month for February 2012!

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
21 replies to this topic

#1 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 3
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted January 02, 2012 - 11:33 AM

We are now taking nominations for featured tractor of the month.

The theme for this month is Other Uses. Basically your garden tractor doing things it wasn't meant to do. Like pulling another tractor, giving hay rides, or any other duty that is not related to plowing, mowing or snow removal.

I also can't emphasize enough to please provide at least 2 paragraphs for the description of you tractor. The winner is going to be featured on the GTtalk home page and will also be in the LAGT magazine. This is your chance to shine.

Here are the rules:
  • You cannot nominate your tractor if you have previously won featured tractor of the month in the last two years..
  • You must have at least a two paragraph description to tell us about your tractor.
  • You need 2 photos attached to your post as attachments, not linked from another site, the year make and model, and a brief description of your history with the tractor and what you use it for most.
We will accept up to 15 nominations, this thread will be closed after the 15th nomination. Once 15 nominations are made we will start a new thread for the voting. Voting will run to the end of the current month and on the 1st of the following month the winner will be featured on the GTtalk Home Page and in our Featured Tractors section.

Rules subject to change to better work for everyone. Good luck!

#2 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted January 02, 2012 - 12:57 PM

Get them nominations in gang :D

#3 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,657 Thanks
  • 29,842 posts

Posted January 02, 2012 - 08:30 PM

If a subcompact is ok for this nomination (I will delete this if not), I'll kick things off with my Massey 1010. I bought this for mowing, but ended up with a larger mowing machine, so this Massey 1010 does lots of farm related jobs besides being standby for grass cutting. Here it is running a 6" grain auger, loading a semi from our grain bin. Then it is hooked to my 14' trailer doing portable barn/feeder repair work. It is 16hp diesel "Toyosha" powered, and sure is fun to use.
I bought this tractor with belly deck off ebay in Indiana for $2275.00 and I think a very good buy. I put the ag tires on it, as the ags bite much better on slopes. Heck, it would slide on slopes without warning. Rears are fluid filled also. Really bites when you need it to. Even has a factory horn! LOL This was my first ever diesel, and boy was I excited when I won the auction. Fred (Meangreen) rode with me to go pick it up. If you really wanna have fun.....buy a diesel!

Attached Thumbnails

• DSC00630.jpg
  • DSC00306.jpg
  • DSC00307.jpg
  • DSC00629.jpg

Edited by olcowhand, January 02, 2012 - 09:20 PM.

#4 Ryan313 OFFLINE  

Ryan313

PK Fanatic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7087
  • 3,239 Thanks
  • 5,159 posts

Posted January 02, 2012 - 09:45 PM

My 71 1614, there was guy who moved and he sold this tractor to another guy who sold it to another guy.(my family knew them all) The last guy had it on craigslist for a long time and i emailed him in august about it then he stopped by my house and told me i could have it... for free! Put a new coil on it and it ran perfect. I use it all the time and it earns its keep. I have no attachments for it but i do have the brackets and mule drive to mount a belly mower.

I use it to do ordinary GT jobs like pull trailers, tow things around when needed, and drag logs. Sometimes I take it for the occasional joy ride if i haven't been getting enough seat time. My "joy rides" mostly consist of just cruising around the woods. Where i live, there are rock walls EVERYWHERE. The walls would present to be a challenge for most GT's, but not this one. With chains, steer brakes, and calcium filled tires, the walls dont phase this machine. So yes, you could call my tractor "a rock crawler"

Attached Thumbnails

• 2012-01-02_15-56-25_395.jpg
  • 2012-01-02_16-00-32_646.jpg
  • 2012-01-02_16-01-06_131.jpg
  • 2012-01-02_16-00-02_637.jpg

Edited by bmxkid313, January 02, 2012 - 09:56 PM.

#5 DH1 ONLINE  

DH1

Electric Tractors

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62
  • 4,587 Thanks
  • 5,295 posts

Posted January 02, 2012 - 10:19 PM

I would like to nominate my little Sears Battery Powered Lawn Tractor, ET1.

This was an old worn out rusted junker when I got it, I decided to convert it to Battery Electric drive to see if I could make it work. I have no attachments for it but it does pull a small trailer for cleaning up the yard. What this tractor does that it was not designed to do is move itself along without using any gas.
It has 2- 12volt batteries and an old 12 volt starter/generator from an old gas engine. The starter/generator is running at 24 volts and moves this tractor along nicely. There are battery disconnects, a key switch, high/low switch, and foot switch to turn the motor on/off. All you do is pick a gear, select high or low power, step on the foot switch and go. Has working lights, a horn, and I charge the batteries using a charger form a 24volt cordless lawn mower. It is more of a kids toy than a tractor but it will put a smile on a 10yr old's face that is priceless.

I include a Video to prove that it moves and a link to the full story behind it.
> http://gardentractor...n-electric-542/ <

sears electric 00&.jpg
sears electric 00&.jpg
Electric Sears 001.jpg
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NXwahvYxYk0&list=UU4ETI1wFC3-tT5GZ_yW4t3Q&index=17&feature=plcp

Attached Thumbnails

• sears electric 00&.jpg
  • sears electric 00&.jpg
  • sears electric 00&.jpg
  • sears electric 00&.jpg
  • sears electric 00&.jpg

#6 Gary400 OFFLINE  

Gary400

JD,junkie

• Contributor
  • Member No: 2316
  • 225 Thanks
  • 768 posts

Posted January 03, 2012 - 08:23 PM

I want to nominate my John Deere 4oo , This months theme really fits with my photo as you can see . I got this garden tractor by luck from a neighbor that had just stopped by to look at my 318 that i had just painted and got back together . As we where talking i recalled that he had a yellow mower deck leaning against his barn and had been there for several years . I ask him what it was for and he replied a 400 that had a bad oil leak and he wasn't going to spend anymore money on . Before he got all that out my big mouth spoke before my brain thought it over and two weeks later i owned it . After a partial engine rebuild and new paint new tires a lot of sweat and busted knuckles i ended up with a very fine garden tractor that i plan on using for many years to come .

The reason i was using the tractor to put the boat in the lake was because the parking break cable on my 4wheeler had broke . I wanted to go fishing and my wife and youngest daughter wanted to go and my wife never leaves the house without the camera . When she found out i was going to use the 400 she ran to get the camera like she wasn't going to miss this for the world. After we did our fishing the true test was about to take place and that was to see if i could get it out of the lake . There is no rock where i put in its just mud and ruts and about a one foot drop to the water off the bank . So after the boat was on the trailer i backed up some with the tractor on the high side and took off and it did not come out and i herd them laughing and asking what i was going to do .So in my mind i was thinking this was not going to happen so i backed up (that's when she took the picture ) i put it in the low side and nice and slow it just pulled it out and now i use it all the time . there is not much better than John Deere's and Jon Boats .

Attached Thumbnails

• 281967_10150288984554921_660369920_7574264_120363_n.jpg
  • DSC_0008.jpg
  • the lake 2.jpg
  • DSC_0005.jpg

Edited by Gary400, January 06, 2012 - 06:52 PM.
adding pictures

#7 yellow green 318 OFFLINE  

yellow green 318

• Member No: 6581
  • 3 Thanks
  • 3 posts

Posted January 03, 2012 - 10:49 PM

IMAG0242.jpg IMAG0242.jpg

As you can see from the Pictures above my 4 year old daughter loves to drive our John Deere 318. Looking back in the day I just wanted her to try and drive it down the track, when she got a full pull in the 1000 pound class I was more than excited! After she got the Class trophy she slept with it for a whole month or better, and it now still sits on her night stand next to her bed! I am just glad she got to expirence the fun and excitement of Garden Tractor Pulling, and for a 4 year old girl, what a expirence, she beat out grown men who had been pulling for more years than I am old. They all thought it was pretty cool that she ended up getting a full pull at her first pull, and only being 4 years old!

Our John Deere 318 is used for many other tasks other than just Mowing the Yard, we use it every year for the neighborhood halloween hayride, gettting firewood for the fire pit, giving my daughters rides to the local park, and several other weekly chores that we throw at it. When I purchaced the tractor it was in shambles, I went through it from front to back and gave it a fresh coat of John Deere Green in PPG Basecoat/Clearcoat. I know that my 25 year old tractor will be aroung for several more years of duty, and who know maybe one of my daughters will call it theirs one day...

Attached Thumbnails

• Halloween 030 (Small).JPG
  • nicole pulling 318.jpg
  • 318 - 2.jpg
  • 318-3.jpg

#8 bud119195 OFFLINE  

bud119195

• Member No: 730
  • 8 Thanks
  • 7 posts

Posted January 03, 2012 - 11:05 PM

Here is my Homelite When i found it it had no motor or a deck.
Since finding it I have repainted it and put in a rebuilt 8hp Briggs.Recently found a deck so now I can complete it after rebuilding and painting . It has been a fun project that my son and I have been working on.Un fortunately when I finally get it complete I probably wont bring myself to use it for mowing but will use it to pull the trailer everynow and then

2 t8's 007.jpg
Posted Image

Attached Thumbnails

• t-8 after 005.jpg
  • Homelite T-8 001.jpg
  • t-8 after 005.jpg

Edited by bud119195, January 04, 2012 - 10:56 PM.
Merged 2 posts

#9 Delmar ONLINE  

Delmar
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5039
  • 2,323 Thanks
  • 2,416 posts

Posted January 04, 2012 - 12:49 AM

A fine sampling of tractors so far....can't wait to see what is next!

#10 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted January 04, 2012 - 09:11 AM

bud119195, I sent you a pm about your nominations. You are more then welcome to nominate one tractor that fits our theme for this month and have a 2 paragraph description of your tractor. The guidelines are in the first post of this thread.

Thanks,

#11 Michiganmobileman OFFLINE  

Michiganmobileman

Old Tractor Addict

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5678
  • 1,235 Thanks
  • 1,842 posts

Posted January 04, 2012 - 10:38 PM

And how does every good Grandfather spend quality time with his first Grandson? When that Grandfather is me we go for a tractor ride, or in this case a sled ride. It doesnt matter that its the end of January in Central Michigan and probably not too warm outside, a guy needs his seat time. And we must have kept the winter wear companies in business that year, it looks like we were both well dressed for the weather. Yikes!! That was ten years ago.

So we tied the plastic sled behind my 74 Ford LGT 145, which still had the snow blade (modified from a good solid Craftsman blade to work on the Ford) weights and chains on and we went for a ride in the back yard. Not a real big yard, we probably did the circle in two minutes, but it was fun (for both of us I hope). Our Grandson Bailey was a few weeks away from turning two years old. But old enough to know to hold on tight cause Grandpa was driving. Unfortunately I no longer own the Ford, have since moved on to Simplicty's and Allis/Chalmers but this was the tractor that got me started with the Old Iron, and will always have a special place in my memory. Yeah I know I should have kept it.

Attached Thumbnails

• Picture_0363 [1024x768].jpg
  • Picture_0362 [1024x768].jpg

Edited by Michiganmobileman, January 04, 2012 - 10:45 PM.
Minor edits

#12 bud119195 OFFLINE  

bud119195

• Member No: 730
  • 8 Thanks
  • 7 posts

Posted January 04, 2012 - 11:09 PM

2007_0805Image0031.jpg This is a picture of my sons 627 yeoman I got it for him when he was 6 he helped paint it (he thought flames on the hood would be cool)and install the motor. Tractor was just a bare frame when we got it.
The first year that he used it at the local tractor show he was towing people around that broke down as you can see in the last pic.Unfortunately I had to get a pic of him pulling a simplicity

Attached Thumbnails

• 2007_0805Image0032.jpg
  • 2007_0805Image0030.jpg

#13 IamSherwood OFFLINE  

IamSherwood

Elf guardian

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2066
  • 8,379 Thanks
  • 7,696 posts

Posted January 05, 2012 - 09:49 AM

My entry is a 1968 Sears SS12, that I have converted into the SkiTractor. During the dead of winter, I do some logging, and at times, my Alpine Twintrack snowmobile has traction problems on the 300 yard beaver pond crossing that I have to make. I didn't want to stud the Alpine tracks, as that's hard on them, and they're very expensive.
I figured chains would be the answer, so I added the dualies and chained them up.
I haven't been able to get out on the glare ice yet, because we haven't had much of
a winter yet, but after doing the test run, I'm confident it'll work fine.

I groom the trails on my property, and once it's good and cold, they are hardpacked
and the skis with carbide skegs, will make steering a breeze. I added the ATV winch to the front, just incase it gets stuck. In the video, I had it in 1st gear low. It does much
better, the faster it goes, but I thought that might be a mistake to let the unmanned
SkiTractor take off at high speeds. It's fun to drive, and I can't wait to take it for a ride
on the backroads when they're covered with hardpacked snow. That should turn a few
heads.

Attached Thumbnails

• P1010194.jpg
  • P1010193.jpg
  • P1010003.jpg
  • P1010192.jpg
  • P1010086a.jpg

• Talntedmrgreen said thank you

#14 Gtractor ONLINE  

Gtractor

The Tractor Hoarder

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 782
  • 6,633 Thanks
  • 3,923 posts

Posted January 05, 2012 - 10:01 AM

Thats awesome! I bet with a person on the seat for ballast it would go about anywhere.

#15 Delmar ONLINE  

Delmar
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5039
  • 2,323 Thanks
  • 2,416 posts

Posted January 05, 2012 - 11:40 AM

You know, the Sears SS12 is one of my favorite tractors, and this one is awesome! Great build, great video, great pics! Gonna be hard to top this entry! Thanks for the viewing!