#1 Toolpartzman OFFLINE  

Toolpartzman

Fun With Horsepower

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 7171
  • 468 Thanks
  • 1,280 posts

Posted January 02, 2012 - 06:01 AM

I'd like to post this as a note of thanks to all our Northern friends and their ancestors' influence to Cajun cooking, and hopefully introduce some here who are not familiar with Acadian, or as some Louisiannans call Acadianna. I learned some of it quite by accident at a restaurant called Prejeans in Lafayette. In a rush to "eat something" and start back North, I experienced one of the 10 best meals of my life.! Mind you,I'm basically a midwestern "moms - home - cooking guy", a little Italian, a little Southern and some modest Cajun, but the Acadian style I sampled blew me away. I've ordered their cookbook and tried some on-line recipes from their website. I highly recommend it. Try it.
Best I can describe it is that the French Canadian influence was more gentle-rich without spice overload. They had a knack of using the right spice to enhance the natural flavor of the food.------Take a look . I think you'll be pleasantly surprised.
  • mjodrey, ducky, KennyP and 1 other said thanks

#2 Toolpartzman OFFLINE  

Toolpartzman

Fun With Horsepower

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 468 Thanks
  • 1,280 posts

Posted January 02, 2012 - 06:25 AM

Opps, I should have noted that you don't need Alligator or Crawfish to make it work. I've used bass, tuna steaks and fresh caught catfish. The least expensive may be the corn side dish- "macque Choux" pronounced "mock-shoe" .

#3 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,455 Thanks
  • 39,685 posts

Posted January 02, 2012 - 07:11 AM

I'll have to check out some of the recipes. Both Steve and I like things a bit spicy every now and then. Thanks.

#4 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted January 02, 2012 - 09:05 AM

If you'd ever like to experience Acadian culture first hand come on up to Nova Scotia. The French Acadian culture is still alive and well up here.

#5 Toolpartzman OFFLINE  

Toolpartzman

Fun With Horsepower

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 468 Thanks
  • 1,280 posts

Posted January 03, 2012 - 08:40 AM

If you'd ever like to experience Acadian culture first hand come on up to Nova Scotia. The French Acadian culture is still alive and well up here.

Thats what I've learned in only a little research into the culture and the descendants in western La. are very protective of their heritage.