• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 RR444 OFFLINE  

RR444

• Member No: 8043
  • 0 Thanks
  • 2 posts

Posted January 01, 2012 - 09:32 PM

Hi fellas! I bought a Massey Ferguson MF 10 lawn tractor out of a salvage yard about 15 years ago. I had the original Tecumseh 10 H.P. engine rebuilt, and it ran great for many years. Then last year it developed what I think is a fuel starvation problem. The fuel pump sits on the side of the engine and is rectangular. I priced a replacement fuel pump, but at $50 I'm wondering if there's a less expensive alternative. Anyone know?

I use it to mow with. It's been a great little tractor. The mower deck is the only implement I have for it.

#2 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,271 Thanks
  • 28,609 posts

Posted January 01, 2012 - 10:23 PM

That tractor should run just fine without the pump. You should be able to bypass it and make sure it's the pump. Odds are, you have a plug or gum up in the fuel system. If it has the sediment bowl on the tank, take it out and check for plugs there first or at least pull the hose off the pump and check for flow.

If it were mine and the pump is actually bad, I'd bypass and run it until you find a good used replacement.

#3 RR444 OFFLINE  

RR444

• Member No: 8043
  • 0 Thanks
  • 2 posts

Posted January 02, 2012 - 01:12 AM

Thanks! I thought so too, since the gas tank is higher than the carb. When I disconnect the gas line at the fuel pump gas flows freely out the end of the pump. So I can just bypass the pump all together? Neat!