• Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,649 Thanks
  • 29,840 posts

Posted June 17, 2012 - 07:42 PM

Today I almost "lazied out" of finishing prep work & painting the rims. But wanting to get those giant ag tires mounted got me on my feet after all. Had to use a fan to fast cure some final primer after some spot putty sanding. Then about an hour ago I shot on the paint. I use "IH White" as it's so close to what Allis used, and easy to find the IH paint. I will be very busy the next few days, so the rims will have plenty time to cure before mounting the tires. I used TSC Valspar paint, but added acrylic enamel "wet look" hardener that I already had. This hardener is leaps & bounds better than the hardener TSC carries, and not just because of the shine. It also helps the paint cure to the touch much faster.

DSC00890.JPG DSC00891.JPG
  • KennyP and Utah Smitty have said thanks

#137 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,464 Thanks
  • 39,695 posts

Posted June 18, 2012 - 05:43 AM

Those look great, Daniel! Glad you got some therapy!
  • olcowhand said thank you

#138 tinner OFFLINE  

tinner

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 961
  • 502 Thanks
  • 1,561 posts

Posted June 18, 2012 - 05:47 AM

Daniel, what brand hardener did you use? What brand paint do you prefer?

#139 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,649 Thanks
  • 29,840 posts

Posted June 18, 2012 - 08:29 AM

Daniel, what brand hardener did you use? What brand paint do you prefer?

I prefer PPG "Shopline" acrylic enamel. Shopline is their line of less expensive acrylics, but they are still super paints. I've been using Masterpro #8108 acrylic enamel "wet look" hardener.
  • ducky and Texas Deere and Horse have said thanks

#140 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,649 Thanks
  • 29,840 posts

Posted June 18, 2012 - 08:32 PM

Ok, so by now you all know I'm not so good at waiting. :smilewink: So Teresa is helping evenings at Bible School, so I made it "tire night. The 620 got new shoes!

BEFORE

DSC00892.JPG

AFTER

DSC00895.JPG DSC00894.JPG

And late this afternoon, Josh ran too tight against the feeders dragging out old silage with the Massey 175. The tire caught a 2x10, split it, then the piece ran through the tire sidewall. A great tire ruined. Oh well, crap happens. I went ahead & took that tire off tonight too so I could clean all the fluid off the rim & entire tractor for that matter. No need letting it sit all night & start the rusting. Around $500 for a new tire. Just 2 days ago, a large front tire on one of our Massey 2745's blew out from old age. That replacement tire is coming in tomorrow at $323.
Been a 15hr day, and vet check in the morning, so I have to start earlier so the cows won't be headlocked too long in the heat. Time for a shower!
DSC00897.JPG DSC00898.JPG
  • Utah Smitty said thank you

#141 IamSherwood OFFLINE  

IamSherwood

Elf guardian

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2066
  • 8,379 Thanks
  • 7,696 posts

Posted June 18, 2012 - 08:56 PM

The new shoes look good on there Dan. To bad about that 2x10 hole. Yes, new shoes are expensive.

#142 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,464 Thanks
  • 39,695 posts

Posted June 19, 2012 - 05:15 AM

The 620 looks great with those on there, should improve traction. Tires are expensive anymore, even the little ones.

#143 tractorgarden OFFLINE  

tractorgarden

Junk Whisperer

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 2291
  • 1,277 Thanks
  • 1,432 posts

Posted June 28, 2012 - 06:26 AM

Looks great Dan, how is the ride? Are the sidewall plys the same? Shawn

#144 Utah Smitty OFFLINE  

Utah Smitty

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5557
  • 1,643 Thanks
  • 1,746 posts

Posted August 19, 2012 - 01:47 AM

Ok, so by now you all know I'm not so good at waiting. :smilewink: So Teresa is helping evenings at Bible School, so I made it "tire night. The 620 got new shoes!

BEFORE

DSC00892.JPG

AFTER

DSC00895.JPG DSC00894.JPG

And late this afternoon, Josh ran too tight against the feeders dragging out old silage with the Massey 175. The tire caught a 2x10, split it, then the piece ran through the tire sidewall. A great tire ruined. Oh well, crap happens. I went ahead & took that tire off tonight too so I could clean all the fluid off the rim & entire tractor for that matter. No need letting it sit all night & start the rusting. Around $500 for a new tire. Just 2 days ago, a large front tire on one of our Massey 2745's blew out from old age. That replacement tire is coming in tomorrow at $323.
Been a 15hr day, and vet check in the morning, so I have to start earlier so the cows won't be headlocked too long in the heat. Time for a shower!
DSC00897.JPG DSC00898.JPG

Daniel

There is an Allis Chalmers 620 for sale here for $1,500... including plow, snowplow, and other misc (no mower deck).. I'm pretty interested... is that a good price? Also, anythings to look for when I look at it?

Regards,

Steve

#145 Utah Smitty OFFLINE  

Utah Smitty

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 1,643 Thanks
  • 1,746 posts

Posted August 19, 2012 - 04:18 PM

I was looking over some of your first pictures in this thread, where you pulled the engine to fix the starter. It looks to me like the drive shaft isn't connected directly to the engine, but uses a 2-sheave pulley that runs off the engine's 2 sheave pulleys next to the starter ring gear.

Is that right?

Thanks,

Steve

#146 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,649 Thanks
  • 29,840 posts

Posted August 19, 2012 - 05:18 PM

I was looking over some of your first pictures in this thread, where you pulled the engine to fix the starter. It looks to me like the drive shaft isn't connected directly to the engine, but uses a 2-sheave pulley that runs off the engine's 2 sheave pulleys next to the starter ring gear.

Is that right?

Thanks,

Steve

Yes, that is correct. The clutch pedal disengages these belts, but I hardly ever use the pedal unless in cases where I need to operate a hydraulic lever while steering...kinda short on hands to operate the hydro control arm.
With 3 point hitch, a darn good price at $1500! Does it also have rear pto? If so, then a real darn good price! Nothing jumps out in my mind for you to check, other than everything! LOL The belts are cheap if needing replaced. Check for vibrations that seem out of normal. Of course check engine for weird sounds & smoke. The rear end is a 3 speed, so be sure they all operate smooth. And check both pto clutches if so equipped to see that they come on. OH.....the ONE thing that does jump out at me to check is that the charge system is charging the battery. Factory components are high. If the stator & both the regulator & rectifier (separate on these) are bad, it can run around $300 or more. Any pics of it?

#147 Utah Smitty OFFLINE  

Utah Smitty

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 1,643 Thanks
  • 1,746 posts

Posted August 19, 2012 - 05:47 PM

Yes, that is correct. The clutch pedal disengages these belts, but I hardly ever use the pedal unless in cases where I need to operate a hydraulic lever while steering...kinda short on hands to operate the hydro control arm.
With 3 point hitch, a darn good price at $1500! Does it also have rear pto? If so, then a real darn good price! Nothing jumps out in my mind for you to check, other than everything! LOL The belts are cheap if needing replaced. Check for vibrations that seem out of normal. Of course check engine for weird sounds & smoke. The rear end is a 3 speed, so be sure they all operate smooth. And check both pto clutches if so equipped to see that they come on. OH.....the ONE thing that does jump out at me to check is that the charge system is charging the battery. Factory components are high. If the stator & both the regulator & rectifier (separate on these) are bad, it can run around $300 or more. Any pics of it?

Thanks for your reply, Daniel.

The tractor is a project. The PO said he ran it from where he offloaded it to his home--couple miles or so. The hood had been butchered and he fixed it... kind of... The engine doesn't have an aircleaner. He has to start the engine with gas in the inlet as the system wouldn't run well--had the return line to the tank confused with the pick up line. He hasn't hooked up the the fuel line, yet. When it started, I didn't see any smoke or knocks, but it only ran a few seconds.

It has brand new Ag tires on the rear--trailer tires on the front. Needs a seat, etc. It does have the rear PTO, and the front pulley, but not the shaft to the front. It has two hydraulic lines to the front, and one behind the driver's left foot--it had a loader on it at one time.

I'm a little concerned about the belt drive as I'm not a big fan about belt drives on tractors... Do you have to pull the engine to change the belts?

This would be my candidate for a FEL if I bought it. It has a Sears single bottom plow and a small ditcher and 3 point hitch on the rear.

Here's the link to the tractor.

http://www.ksl.com/i...&search=tractor

The rear end has a lot of oil on it--looks like maybe the PTO shaft is leaking. The hourmeter shows 1200+ hours.

Edited by Utah Smitty, August 19, 2012 - 05:52 PM.

#148 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,649 Thanks
  • 29,840 posts

Posted August 19, 2012 - 05:56 PM

Sounds a bit rough for the money, but location also alters prices, so in your area, that may be a good enough price. I would not buy it unless it was running good so you can test it out, PLUS has some type of air filter mounted. The belts hold strong! The main thing is to have them adjusted proper & sparingly use the clutch pedal, but the belts do not require pulling the engine to change.
The hydraulic lines on the rear left are for the cylinder that operates the rear 3pt lift. The front pair is std also. The shaft for the rear pto also has the electric clutch as part of it, and expensive if missing.

#149 Utah Smitty OFFLINE  

Utah Smitty

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 1,643 Thanks
  • 1,746 posts

Posted August 19, 2012 - 06:22 PM

I'll have to check out the shaft to the rear PTO--I could just see it was on the tractor but didn't trace it down.

Steve

#150 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,649 Thanks
  • 29,840 posts

Posted August 19, 2012 - 06:27 PM

I'll have to check out the shaft to the rear PTO--I could just see it was on the tractor but didn't trace it down.

Steve

The pto clutch should be under that hump in the tunnel cover, just under the front of the seat.