Nominations for Tractor of the Month
Garden Tractors and Parts on eBay

Photo
- - - - -

YOOPER new to gaden tractor scene, and loving it !

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#16 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,269 Thanks
  • 28,607 posts

Posted January 07, 2012 - 02:44 AM

Not wanting to be left behind in understanding a cultural difference, I googled yooper. You guys have a varied history to be proud of. Neat background online. I found this wiki entry about dialects interesting.
Yooper dialect - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I had to laugh tho when they talk about the Yooper Scooper, I had a whole different mental image until I read the rest of the sentence.

#17 Michiganmobileman OFFLINE  

Michiganmobileman

Old Tractor Addict

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5678
  • 1,235 Thanks
  • 1,842 posts

Posted January 07, 2012 - 09:07 AM

Not wanting to be left behind in understanding a cultural difference, I googled yooper. You guys have a varied history to be proud of. Neat background online. I found this wiki entry about dialects interesting.
Yooper dialect - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I had to laugh tho when they talk about the Yooper Scooper, I had a whole different mental image until I read the rest of the sentence.

One of those "localisms" that we seemed to grow up with. They are the YOOPERS up there and we are the LOWPERS down here. I never would of thought to Google that term, but the link to Wikipedia was fun to read through. Thanks for the link.

Edited by Michiganmobileman, January 07, 2012 - 09:13 AM.
oops

#18 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,269 Thanks
  • 28,607 posts

Posted January 07, 2012 - 10:53 AM

One of those "localisms" that we seemed to grow up with. They are the YOOPERS up there and we are the LOWPERS down here. I never would of thought to Google that term, but the link to Wikipedia was fun to read through. Thanks for the link.

We have a bunch of lingo like that, one of my "favorites" is derived from this being a picturesque area and many out of town people maintain cottages or summer homes here. There can be a difference in personality in the way people interact with anyone from outside a community, this difference in background has spawned the term "Mup'ere". It's short for the phrase "I'm up here for the weekend" as many of the cottage owners are from cities south of here.

#19 yooper64 OFFLINE  

yooper64

• Member No: 7797
  • 0 Thanks
  • 5 posts

Posted January 10, 2012 - 12:49 PM

hi ! thank you to everyone its an awesome site ! having hard time with pics but i think i can get em on here!

#20 Texas Deere and Horse OFFLINE  

Texas Deere and Horse

RED Wild Hogs, Horses & Deeres

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1435
  • 14,464 Thanks
  • 15,392 posts

Posted January 10, 2012 - 01:43 PM

Welcome to GTtalk, glad you joined us. If you want to send me your picture, I will load them for you.

#21 Michiganmobileman OFFLINE  

Michiganmobileman

Old Tractor Addict

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5678
  • 1,235 Thanks
  • 1,842 posts

Posted January 10, 2012 - 06:37 PM

We have a bunch of lingo like that, one of my "favorites" is derived from this being a picturesque area and many out of town people maintain cottages or summer homes here. There can be a difference in personality in the way people interact with anyone from outside a community, this difference in background has spawned the term "Mup'ere". It's short for the phrase "I'm up here for the weekend" as many of the cottage owners are from cities south of here.

We get that too, our subdivision is a lot quieter and friendlier in the winter. Oh well all we have to do is drive through it, we are well removed from the main road, about 500 foot away, with just my Brother (an Mup'ere, their cottage is next door, they live 60 miles down state ) sharing our long drive.