#16 ducky ONLINE  

ducky

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 564
  • 1,628 Thanks
  • 3,869 posts

Posted January 01, 2012 - 08:46 PM

Actually ducky, I've read they can handle up to 24hp each, but Tudor insists they have settings in place to where they can only put 15hp actually to the ground. I really wish Tudor would become more active here, as he is quite knowledgeable of the Sundstrand hydro systems. These settings are more or less to prolong the life of the hydro unit. Raising pressure settings increase wear.

Daniel
You have something there and I will take a look. Yes we could use Tudor on this one.
There was a cartoon out there where they called on "Tudor the Turtle" to save the day? Man that was a long time ago but I remember He always had the knowledge to solve the problem.
Tudor!!!! Tudor!!!! Where are you?

#17 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,637 Thanks
  • 29,838 posts

Posted January 01, 2012 - 08:50 PM

Tudor told me he has all the instructions on "souping up" these hydro's. I've been aiming to ask him for info, but just never gotten round to asking.

#18 ducky ONLINE  

ducky

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 1,628 Thanks
  • 3,869 posts

Posted January 01, 2012 - 09:09 PM

That would be interesting. Always thought they were running a capacity in the Masseys with room to go. Man I punished that hydro and when we tore it down it just took a bit of lapping on the plates and that puppy was ready to go again. It is in the front of the 4855 right now. Ran IH Hytran in that one after the first service. Also used a 10 Micro filter instead of a 20. Cummins (Fleetgard) has that 10 micro filter in there Stataspore design and it does an exceptional job of removing dirt from the systems.

#19 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,637 Thanks
  • 29,838 posts

Posted January 01, 2012 - 09:13 PM

Ducky, could you post that part # for that 10 micron filter?

#20 ducky ONLINE  

ducky

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 1,628 Thanks
  • 3,869 posts

Posted January 01, 2012 - 09:17 PM

You bet let me go find it.

#21 ducky ONLINE  

ducky

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 1,628 Thanks
  • 3,869 posts

Posted January 01, 2012 - 09:53 PM

HF 6446 has the same dimension with a 10 micron rating while maintaining the the 7-9 GPM flow rate.
John Deere uses it on there 2243 Greens mower
The HF 6096 is a 21 micron rating @ 7-9 GPM.
Wix has a cross for this but I just seem to be a Cummins nut some times. There Micro fiber filters have extended the oil changes on my 2000 Dodge 5.9 out to 10,000 mile per the oil sampling. Sample results come back as ok and sample at next. It does get changed at 10,000 irregardless. Old girl has 380,000 clicks on it now. We will be looking at slipping in some rod and main inserts in the near future. Hot Oil pressure is down to 40 psi now indicating a bit of clearance in that area.

#22 DH1 OFFLINE  

DH1

Electric Tractors

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62
  • 4,587 Thanks
  • 5,295 posts

Posted January 01, 2012 - 09:58 PM

Daniel
You have something there and I will take a look. Yes we could use Tudor on this one.
There was a cartoon out there where they called on "Tudor the Turtle" to save the day? Man that was a long time ago but I remember He always had the knowledge to solve the problem.
Tudor!!!! Tudor!!!! Where are you?

Maybe if you can get him a smoking pipe that might do it.

#23 Cvans ONLINE  

Cvans

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5412
  • 4,486 Thanks
  • 5,014 posts

Posted January 01, 2012 - 11:57 PM

I'll be the first to admit that my knowledge about the internal functions of a hydro is very limited. I understand the principal of operation but not what is involved with the controls and functions. Some day I will have to tear one down and have a look. Sounds like you have a pretty good handle on the hydro's ducky.

#24 ducky ONLINE  

ducky

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 1,628 Thanks
  • 3,869 posts

Posted January 02, 2012 - 10:32 AM

. Hot Oil pressure is down to 40 psi now indicating a bit of clearance in that area.

I should clarify this statement. It is 40 psi at hot Idle and runs 60 psi down the road

#25 Boss 448 OFFLINE  

Boss 448

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 1724
  • 48 Thanks
  • 248 posts

Posted January 02, 2012 - 12:09 PM

It is 40 psi at hot Idle

Is that considered low or below specs for a diesel engine like that? Most gasoline engines won't do that new.

When I was involved in building racing engines (way back in the last century) we considered 10 PSI per 1,000 RPM as adequate (non-diesel). Of course a lot has changed since then.

JN

#26 ducky ONLINE  

ducky

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 1,628 Thanks
  • 3,869 posts

Posted January 02, 2012 - 12:27 PM

Is that considered low or below specs for a diesel engine like that? Most gasoline engines won't do that new.

When I was involved in building racing engines (way back in the last century) we considered 10 PSI per 1,000 RPM as adequate (non-diesel). Of course a lot has changed since then.

JN

No this is not that bad. Cummins will run pretty much the same pressure Idle or or high idle. Just with the miles on this old girl and the drop in pressure at lower RPMs just indicate a little wear in the crank bearings to me. Some of that could also be coming from a little slip in the oil pump as well.
Diesels do tend to run a higher pressure than Gassers due to the higher torque.

#27 Boss 448 OFFLINE  

Boss 448

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 1724
  • 48 Thanks
  • 248 posts

Posted January 02, 2012 - 12:52 PM

Diesels do tend to run a higher pressure than Gassers due to the higher torque.

I kind of figured that. It makes sense since diesel engines actually function on the same principal (dieseling) that can destroy a gasoline engine. One can understand how the diesel detonation would pound bearings not protected with adequate oil pressure. By comparison a gas engine relies on a smooth and properly timed combustion.

JN

#28 ducky ONLINE  

ducky

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 1,628 Thanks
  • 3,869 posts

Posted January 03, 2012 - 10:41 AM

Maybe if you can get him a smoking pipe that might do it.

That's right he was always in a smoking jacket and had a pipe.