Nominations for Tractor of the Month
Garden Tractors and Parts on eBay

Photo
- - - - -

Bush Hog PA

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
45 replies to this topic

#31 olcowhand OFFLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,653 Thanks
  • 29,841 posts

Posted January 30, 2012 - 09:16 PM

It is possible that the clutch carrier bearing could be frozen. Likely the engine, but I wouldn't get too worried either way. If the engine is stuck, likely not bad, as most people wouldn't even attempt a half job of restoring unless the engine was at least turning free. I don't see a parts tractor no matter what. Engines, steering gear..... all can be repaired.

#32 johndeereelfman OFFLINE  

johndeereelfman

Elfin Majic

• Member No: 3761
  • 5,480 Thanks
  • 2,535 posts

Posted January 30, 2012 - 09:59 PM

I'll look at it again tomorrow when I get home from work. I'll try and determine if it is the clutch carrier bearing Daniel, but the flywheel didn't even move a little bit. At first I thought it might be the belt keeping me form turning the flywheel by hand, as they are all painted up, dry-rotted, and very stiff, but you would think I would have gotten just a little movement.

Other than some cosmetics, I really don't think that I would part the tractor out Scott. I think it is still very restorable, and from what I'm reading from the other guys, parts are still available. It will be a good project for you, even if it turns out to be a little more than what you expected. If I was a Bush Hog collector, I'd be excited, and pleased with the purchase.

#33 olcowhand OFFLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • 35,653 Thanks
  • 29,841 posts

Posted January 30, 2012 - 10:25 PM

I sure want to see it restored, or at the very least refurbed enough to run & drive. Sure in MUCH better shape than many I have gotten running & driving without spending a single dime....just my labor.

#34 sacsr OFFLINE  

sacsr

Bush Hog Addict

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 4776
  • 3,268 Thanks
  • 3,283 posts

Posted January 31, 2012 - 06:16 AM

Thanks Guys.....my plans are to restore it....at the very least get it running and fully functional.....I am excited....it is my first bush hog. Was hoping that it would not end up being too challenging but buying it like I did on ebay.....I knew there would be surprises.....I know to ask about whether the motor turns or not....but with the tradeshows and my daughter getting married.....I was not as focused as I normally would be. I am still a proud owner of my first bushhog.....even if it does have a good bit of warts.

Part of the fun is the story to tell of buying, picking it up, hauling it, fixing it, etc and the friends that are made along the way.

I have never rebuilt a motor......so this may be my first.

Daniel on all the over spray on wires etc.....think that is here to stay or do you think I can get it off?? Guess I could always be rewrapped or recased to make it look clean....

Troy again thanks for your help......anything I learn now puts me way ahead of the game when I do get it home.

#35 johndeereelfman OFFLINE  

johndeereelfman

Elfin Majic

• Member No: 3761
  • 5,480 Thanks
  • 2,535 posts

Posted January 31, 2012 - 07:07 AM

Scott,

Cleaning up the wiring harness is not a problem. I have cleaned up a lot of harness's with WD-40 and a couple of fingernails. They come out looking almost new.

#36 cookiemonster OFFLINE  

cookiemonster

Village Idiot

• Member No: 6338
  • 406 Thanks
  • 1,274 posts

Posted January 31, 2012 - 08:56 AM

Oh, darn. I thought we could have this thing hop around different members as it travelled south. Was looking forward to riding it around the neighborhood ;)
You'll get it going - just stick with it.

#37 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,518 Thanks
  • 39,735 posts

Posted January 31, 2012 - 09:10 AM

Oh, darn. I thought we could have this thing hop around different members as it travelled south. Was looking forward to riding it around the neighborhood ;)
You'll get it going - just stick with it.

If it made it's way here, it might not want to leave.:bigrofl:

#38 sacsr OFFLINE  

sacsr

Bush Hog Addict

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 3,268 Thanks
  • 3,283 posts

Posted January 31, 2012 - 09:16 AM

I will be heading up that way to pick it up in a couple of weeks. I will be going north with an empty trailer.....if someone needs something from my way heading north let me know... I live in Eastern NC and will be working my way up to Lititz, Pa......probably will go the DC - Balitmore way since I have several customers in that area.....then after picking up the bh, I will head west/south going through Charlottesville calling on customers on my way back......if someone is in this path or close and needs some help hauling let me know.

#39 olcowhand OFFLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • 35,653 Thanks
  • 29,841 posts

Posted January 31, 2012 - 09:52 AM

As said, those wires will clean up. Looking forward to you getting it home.

#40 ckjakline OFFLINE  

ckjakline

Tractorholic

• Member No: 6073
  • 1,080 Thanks
  • 1,094 posts

Posted January 31, 2012 - 06:10 PM

Scott,You definatly have a restorable tractor there.It might need a few little odds,and ends but thats all part of the hobby.Keep those oldy but goodys rolling for years to come.

#41 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,322 Thanks
  • 28,640 posts

Posted January 31, 2012 - 06:26 PM

I will be heading up that way to pick it up in a couple of weeks. I will be going north with an empty trailer.....if someone needs something from my way heading north let me know... I live in Eastern NC and will be working my way up to Lititz, Pa......probably will go the DC - Balitmore way since I have several customers in that area.....then after picking up the bh, I will head west/south going through Charlottesville calling on customers on my way back......if someone is in this path or close and needs some help hauling let me know.

You could always swing round to George's and bring Casey's BH down to him.
Before he goes broke on storage fees, that is. :bigrofl:

#42 sacsr OFFLINE  

sacsr

Bush Hog Addict

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 3,268 Thanks
  • 3,283 posts

Posted January 31, 2012 - 06:30 PM

ckjakline thanks for helping to pick it up. I like the old ones better than then new...we are in total agreement there.....I have newer craftsman but it has been sitting under the shed since I have bought these oldies.....the MF10 pulls my trailer, etc around and I have been mowing with my Yanmar 146....

#43 NyRedNeck OFFLINE  

NyRedNeck

• Member No: 6598
  • 84 Thanks
  • 126 posts

Posted February 02, 2012 - 01:36 AM

Hey Scott,

I may have a favor to ask if it is on your route. I have a Tractor in Gainseville VA and it needs to come up North.
Send me a pm if its at all a possibility and I will send you my #..
BTW its Red .

#44 sacsr OFFLINE  

sacsr

Bush Hog Addict

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 3,268 Thanks
  • 3,283 posts

Posted February 12, 2012 - 11:30 PM

• Well it is loaded on my trailer, and after another stop tomorrow to pick up another d4-10 will be slowly working its way home. If I thought JohnDeereElfman and ckjakline were great guys before this trip....my appreciation for them has gone to a new level.....like all good plans....things have a way of happening that make favors become more complicated than planned.
  • Troy and Craig went to push the D4-10 and it would not move......after all of us trying to make it move it was decided that water must have been in the rear end and it was frozen.......now how to move a 700lb mower that does not want to move.....all I can say Troy and Craig managed to lift and drag it onto my trailer.....all I can say is they are now my new favorite heros! Thanks again guys for going the extra mile to help a fellow GT member!

#45 wvbuzzmaster OFFLINE  

wvbuzzmaster

Squeaky Wheel

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 1792
  • 4,493 Thanks
  • 7,341 posts

Posted February 13, 2012 - 12:02 AM

Sounds like a moment of superhuman strength and an unwillingness to let the neighbors talk about a red tractor in a green complex LOL. Glad you guys got it figured out.