Nominations for Tractor of the Month
Garden Tractors and Parts on eBay

Photo
- - - - -

Can I move the seat back or make some kind of adjustment for a fat guy?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 braxx OFFLINE  

braxx

• Member No: 7898
  • 20 Thanks
  • 45 posts

Posted December 31, 2011 - 08:15 PM

I just picked up the Bolens 1220 and there isn't much room for me on the machine. I'm 6'3" and about 400lbs. I'm sure a lager frame GT would be better suited for me but I've got the 1220 to work with. So what are some adjustments that can be made to give me more room?
Can I move the seat back? A little smaller diameter steering wheel?

What are your suggestions.

Thanks,
Josh

#2 Bolens 1000 ONLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 12,698 Thanks
  • 17,207 posts

Posted December 31, 2011 - 08:35 PM

There is an adjustment where you can move the seat back but its not much.
You may want to switch seats or you may need to fab something up where you can move the seat back

#3 poncho62 ONLINE  

poncho62
  • Member No: 42
  • 634 Thanks
  • 1,220 posts

Posted December 31, 2011 - 10:17 PM

Be careful about moving a seat too far back....I know a Bolens 1220 is a fairly hefty machine, but at 400# you will be putting a lot of weight way at the back of the machine....I weigh 240 and was driving a smaller tractor up a ramp onto a trailer and it flipped over backwards......It was this one

Posted Image

#4 braxx OFFLINE  

braxx

• 20 Thanks
  • 45 posts

Posted January 01, 2012 - 12:46 AM

I'll start with trying to lower the seat, possibly a smaller diameter steering wheel and go from there.

#5 braxx OFFLINE  

braxx

• 20 Thanks
  • 45 posts

Posted January 02, 2012 - 11:01 PM

So the seat was set as far back as the factory mounts allow. Unless someone can give me reasons why not to, I plan on putting on Bolens 800 series style fenders pushed out near the tires. I might even space the tire out 1/2" to 1" on each side and then drop a seat down as low as possible. Lower the seat will help with 2 issues. 1) It will make more room between my gut and the steering wheel. 2) It will lower the center of gravity. I imagine a 400lb 6'3" guy riding up hi would make it less stable than if I were a few inches lower.

Also I want to see if I can find a 14" steering wheel (I think the stock one is 15").
Any ideas of what 14" steering wheel would fit?

#6 Gtractor ONLINE  

Gtractor

The Tractor Hoarder

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 782
  • 6,625 Thanks
  • 3,917 posts

Posted January 02, 2012 - 11:22 PM

How about a 3/4 steering wheel?

3-4.jpg

Edited by Gtractor, January 03, 2012 - 05:23 PM.
added picture

#7 Lauber1 OFFLINE  

Lauber1

DB restorer

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 4926
  • 3,456 Thanks
  • 2,801 posts

Posted January 02, 2012 - 11:29 PM

well would start with, its your tractor and you can do what you like but,,,,,,,,,,lets look at it as collectable for a second. I dont know the shape of the area under the seat, but if its fairly flat, couldnt you just install a couple of angle irons for mounting and then drill a seat bracketing system to that? This would get you where you need to be longlegged wise and height wise. By using holes already in the tractor you dont hurt any future resale value. Not as large as you but i have the same trouble not being to get away from the controls and being comfy enough to drive a long time, and if you have to wear a coat it just makes it worse. I'd start by stripping it down to the frame work, then sitting the bare seat down on the frame and see if something simple comes to light. If your not wanting to use the orginal seat, they make ones with adjuster slides under them, that you could adapt to your frame with some kind of brackets. Id almost have to see the tractor to see it more clearly.

On the steer wheel, i think it would be hard to find one with the right center mounting and most orginal ones dont like to come off well. But if your going that way, id look into one the stockcar boys use, as i beleive they come in all sorts of differnt versions.

#8 braxx OFFLINE  

braxx

• 20 Thanks
  • 45 posts

Posted January 02, 2012 - 11:51 PM

The fenders and seat will be all bolt on changes. I will keep the old parts to return to stock.
Truth of the matter is I can't use the tractor in the stock configuration so I have to modify it or sell it.
I hate to sell because I have all of the attachments that wanted.