Nominations for Tractor of the Month
Garden Tractors and Parts on eBay

Photo
- - - - -

VREDESTEIN V61s

• Please log in to reply
55 replies to this topic

Poll: Which tractor gets the V61s (36 member(s) have cast votes)

Which tractor gets the V61s

1. EGT200 (1 votes [2.78%])

Percentage of vote: 2.78%

2. ET2 Electric Massey (9 votes [25.00%])

Percentage of vote: 25.00%

3. MF16 (13 votes [36.11%])

Percentage of vote: 36.11%

4. MF12 (7 votes [19.44%])

Percentage of vote: 19.44%

5. JD316K (6 votes [16.67%])

Percentage of vote: 16.67%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#46 hgl1gtt OFFLINE  

hgl1gtt

• Member No: 7874
  • 2 Thanks
  • 9 posts

Posted January 16, 2012 - 09:22 AM

I have had mine on for over 3 years now and have not had to add any air to these things. They are the only ones in my herd that have not needed any air. No tubes in mine. I just cleaned and painted the rims before installing them. They are wicked tires but do have some shortcomings. They hold dirt like crazy and when you run the tractor in and out of the shop they can make a huge mess. In the snow they pack up and do not steer much better than the turfs on my others. I will still put them on the others some day.

Attached Thumbnails

• 420 on East driveway 2.jpg
  • DSC01280 cropped and compressed.jpg

#47 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,650 Thanks
  • 29,840 posts

Posted January 16, 2012 - 11:40 AM

I have had mine on for over 3 years now and have not had to add any air to these things. . They hold dirt like crazy and when you run the tractor in and out of the shop they can make a huge mess.

I have a large farm drive down from my house. So I do a series of fast tight turning in the drive to get most of the mud & crud to fall out of the tires. Real sticky mud doesn't always come off though, so once parked & the mud dries, there's a trail of dry dirt when I back them out of the shed. I like them enough that I can live with this though!

#48 Frank Morris OFFLINE  

Frank Morris

• Member No: 5542
  • 11 Thanks
  • 69 posts

Posted January 19, 2012 - 08:29 PM

I have a large farm drive down from my house. So I do a series of fast tight turning in the drive to get most of the mud & crud to fall out of the tires. Real sticky mud doesn't always come off though, so once parked & the mud dries, there's a trail of dry dirt when I back them out of the shed. I like them enough that I can live with this though!

Ha Ha, that's funny. They dont self clean, there beach balls imitating tr-ribs, They cost three times any other tire, and they have the support of the farming community, reminds me of politics, Both parties. I understand buying something you like, I see guys in town do that all the time, some have little fat tires that stick way out the side of their Hondas, others have very tall tires with a very low profile and wagon wheel spokes, neither one is useful in anyway, but guys spend a bundle on both. Just dont try and tell me there any good on the road, Again, this thread has been great for a chuckle

#49 hgl1gtt OFFLINE  

hgl1gtt

• 2 Thanks
  • 9 posts

Posted January 20, 2012 - 08:13 AM

Ha Ha, that's funny. They dont self clean, there beach balls imitating tr-ribs, They cost three times any other tire, and they have the support of the farming community, reminds me of politics, Both parties. I understand buying something you like, I see guys in town do that all the time, some have little fat tires that stick way out the side of their Hondas, others have very tall tires with a very low profile and wagon wheel spokes, neither one is useful in anyway, but guys spend a bundle on both. Just dont try and tell me there any good on the road, Again, this thread has been great for a chuckle

Like the guys with chrome whatevers, mag wheels, leather seats and any other accesssories - they are all personal choices. One man's plow is another man's sickle mower. Once in a while they give better traction than the turfs but that is not the sole intention. If they made tri ribs in my size I would have them instead especially on my 430 with the loader. My side of the coin anyways. You are right about the goofy Honda's tho'.

#50 JD DANNELS OFFLINE  

JD DANNELS

Tractorholic

• Member No: 2011
  • 3,786 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted January 20, 2012 - 08:59 AM

I guess the wide vs Narrow has a lot to do with application. I have 3 springs, causing wet spots year round on my 8+ acres that I mow and the wides float through the wet spots where the skinny's would just go down. Wide works for me. Beats the heck out of Jacks, Chains to pull and needing another tractor and driver to get the job done.

#51 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,650 Thanks
  • 29,840 posts

Posted January 20, 2012 - 12:46 PM

I know I'm in a minority here and that's fine. I just hope I'm entitled to post an opinion without making anyone mad. I already know most peoples opinion, this was just mine

By some things you say, it doesn't seem that you really care if you make anyone mad. I bought my V61's simply because I like the looks of them. I'm not making a living with these tires. 99.9% of us here is in this as a hobby, to help relieve the stress of what we do to make a living. None of us need to validate the things we buy for our hobby, as it is for FUN, not to make good sense or anything else....pure fun! If we all meticulously picked through everything about our GT's, making everything a matter of being perfectly logical, then how much fun would we have? ......not much

#52 ducky OFFLINE  

ducky

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 564
  • 1,630 Thanks
  • 3,869 posts

Posted January 20, 2012 - 01:01 PM

By some things you say, it doesn't seem that you really care if you make anyone mad. I bought my V61's simply because I like the looks of them. I'm not making a living with these tires. 99.9% of us here is in this as a hobby, to help relieve the stress of what we do to make a living. None of us need to validate the things we buy for our hobby, as it is for FUN, not to make good sense or anything else....pure fun! If we all meticulously picked through everything about our GT's, making everything a matter of being perfectly logical, then how much fun would we have? ......not much

Well said Daniel, If we can not have fun doing this way even do it.

#53 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,650 Thanks
  • 29,840 posts

Posted January 20, 2012 - 07:03 PM

Again, this thread has been great for a chuckle

By the way, good to hear from you again! We know who you are.

Edited by olcowhand, January 20, 2012 - 07:22 PM.

#54 skunkhome OFFLINE  

skunkhome

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 8044
  • 322 Thanks
  • 455 posts

Posted January 21, 2012 - 06:58 PM

By the way, good to hear from you again! We know who you are.

Hear, hear, it is so clear Ronnie Milsap can see it. The topic and especially the tone is all too familiar.
Sorry, couldn't resist!

#55 OldBuzzard ONLINE  

OldBuzzard

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 805
  • 6,482 Thanks
  • 4,634 posts

Posted January 23, 2012 - 01:19 PM

I was thinking of putting a pair of V61s on my recently purchased Bolens 1886 with FEL, since the left front was losing air. But looking around the web, I couldn't find any reference to them being available in 20-8.00-10.

Then when I took a good look, I saw that the right front tire was an almost new (still has the tits in the tread) Carlisle Turf-Saver. So, I decided it would be a LOT easier on the pocketbook to get another Carlisle.

I may be needing new fronts for one of my 1256s and I'll probably go with V61s when I do.

As for the wide/narrow question. I my case I need the wide tires for the flotation. My yard has poor drainage, and stays pretty soft for a long time after a rain. I need something that will 'float' on top of it. If I had to wait until it was dry enough for narrow tires, the grass would be so high that I'd have to cut it with my Sickle-Mo.

#56 hgl1gtt OFFLINE  

hgl1gtt

• 2 Thanks
  • 9 posts

Posted February 13, 2012 - 08:59 AM

I have had these on my oldest 420 for approx 3.5 yrs and have had to only "top them off" a couple of times and do not run tubes in them. They leak cause the rims are not cleaned properly, the bead is damaged on install or there is something wrong with the valve stem or rim itself. It is a steel wheel and is the same as a car rim. There should be no reason they will not hold air. Check this out regarding metric sizes. I believe that if it says for example 18 x 8.5 x 8 then it is the right tire no matter where it is from.

http://www.tirerack....e.jsp?techid=24

Doug, I have read enough posts to know that the V61's MUST be tubed since they are a "metric" (I know, weird) tire listed as a SAE size for sales. Everyone that has posted about the V61's on a few JD forum I looked at said if you don't tube them you will be adding air constantly.

Edited by hgl1gtt, February 13, 2012 - 09:01 AM.