Nominations for Tractor of the Month
Garden Tractors and Parts on eBay

Photo
- - - - -

VREDESTEIN V61s

• Please log in to reply
55 replies to this topic

Poll: Which tractor gets the V61s (36 member(s) have cast votes)

Which tractor gets the V61s

1. EGT200 (1 votes [2.78%])

Percentage of vote: 2.78%

2. ET2 Electric Massey (9 votes [25.00%])

Percentage of vote: 25.00%

3. MF16 (13 votes [36.11%])

Percentage of vote: 36.11%

4. MF12 (7 votes [19.44%])

Percentage of vote: 19.44%

5. JD316K (6 votes [16.67%])

Percentage of vote: 16.67%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#31 Gary400 OFFLINE  

Gary400

JD,junkie

• Contributor
  • Member No: 2316
  • 225 Thanks
  • 768 posts

Posted January 01, 2012 - 05:17 PM

i have the 18x8.50-8 in mine that must be why i dont have to have tubes.

Edited by Gary400, January 08, 2012 - 06:04 AM.

#32 DH1 OFFLINE  

DH1

Electric Tractors

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62
  • 4,585 Thanks
  • 5,295 posts

Posted January 01, 2012 - 05:31 PM

Doug, I have read enough posts to know that the V61's MUST be tubed since they are a "metric" (I know, weird) tire listed as a SAE size for sales. Everyone that has posted about the V61's on a few JD forum I looked at said if you don't tube them you will be adding air constantly.

Your right they are listed as Metric size tires and tube type.

Miller tire listed them as tube tires, that's where I got mine. I was going to post the ebay ad, but they are out of 16x6.50-8 apparently, as they don't list that size at this time. The 18x8.50-8 is listed as tubeless, but the 15x6-6 is listed as a tube tire. I remember the 16x6.50-8 being listed as tube type because I ordered the tubes at the same time I ordered the tires. If your rims have the life lock(the extra little notch around the rim to hold the bead on newer rims), I'd go ahead and put tubes in now to avoid fighting the tires again later. If no life lock, try them without tubes and see how they do.

I think your right also on them being tube type tire, they list them under Implement tire as a
Hay Tedder Implement tire 170/80-8 or 16 x 6.50 - 8 $57.00, Tire and Tube.
>170/80-8 Hay Tedder Implement Tire & Tube 16x6.50-8 | eBay

Here's the Miller Tire site for them, goto Lawn and Garden then goto Rib
>M.E. Miller Tire

Vredestein site
>Vredestein

I notice the Vredestein site says "TL and TT"
must be "tubeless and tube type".

Learn something new everyday.

#33 DH1 OFFLINE  

DH1

Electric Tractors

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 4,585 Thanks
  • 5,295 posts

Posted January 02, 2012 - 03:07 PM

Tires were mounted today and I like em. Even though there the same size as the turfs somehow they look bigger???
As you can see the driveway is all iced up and these side around on the ice, just like the turfs. Everywhere else they grip pretty good, need to try them out for a while to see what there really like.
002.jpg
ET2 got the tires, no more flats, this tractor will be used the most in the next 2 or 3 months.

Below left is 10 psi and right is 30 psi.
003.jpg

Attached Thumbnails

• 001.jpg
  • 004.jpg

#34 Michiganmobileman OFFLINE  

Michiganmobileman

Old Tractor Addict

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5678
  • 1,235 Thanks
  • 1,842 posts

Posted January 02, 2012 - 03:52 PM

Your are right those do look nice!

#35 Frank Morris OFFLINE  

Frank Morris

• Member No: 5542
  • 11 Thanks
  • 69 posts

Posted January 07, 2012 - 12:44 PM

Sorry, but if wide tires were useful at all for any kind of farm work tractors would use them, but they dont, they use a tall skinny tri rib. This is one of the reasons why all the real tractor guys laugh there a%*es off at us at tractor shows, wide front tri ribs and 26x12-12 rears, most of them think we would be suited deep into Mexico where those kind of tires are in style, Originally most garden tractors had 6-12 rears and 4.00-8 fronts, it's still a better set up. When tire makers figured they could sell a pair of front tires for over 160 and a set of rear tires for over 250, they knew we didn't have a clue and were just tractor posers, but hey it's all good right, they did the same to us shmucks on light truck tires, 20-22 inch rims sheesh. I see the kids do the same thing to a perfectly good CJ-5 and while it looks cool cruising the boulevard for chicks, not much use off road. I personally think they look ridiculous, again sorry, I just like to see a small tractor look like a small tractor, not a hot rod. I know I'm in a minority here and that's fine. I just hope I'm entitled to post an opinion without making anyone mad. I already know most peoples opinion, this was just mine

#36 DH1 OFFLINE  

DH1

Electric Tractors

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 4,585 Thanks
  • 5,295 posts

Posted January 07, 2012 - 04:11 PM

Sorry, but if wide tires were useful at all for any kind of farm work tractors would use them, but they dont, they use a tall skinny tri rib. This is one of the reasons why all the real tractor guys laugh there a%*es off at us at tractor shows, wide front tri ribs and 26x12-12 rears, most of them think we would be suited deep into Mexico where those kind of tires are in style, Originally most garden tractors had 6-12 rears and 4.00-8 fronts, it's still a better set up. When tire makers figured they could sell a pair of front tires for over 160 and a set of rear tires for over 250, they knew we didn't have a clue and were just tractor posers, but hey it's all good right, they did the same to us shmucks on light truck tires, 20-22 inch rims sheesh. I see the kids do the same thing to a perfectly good CJ-5 and while it looks cool cruising the boulevard for chicks, not much use off road. I personally think they look ridiculous, again sorry, I just like to see a small tractor look like a small tractor, not a hot rod. I know I'm in a minority here and that's fine. I just hope I'm entitled to post an opinion without making anyone mad. I already know most peoples opinion, this was just mine

No offense taken.
One of the reasons I started this thread even though I never said was to get opinions from different people.

The main reasons I bought these tires
1 - There a 6ply rated tire.
2 - load rated for 746 lbs at 44psi.
3 - I like the looks of them.

These 2 tractors here show the difference between wide and narrow.
The narrow one has the tire size you like on it 4.00-8 and 6-12.
The wide one has 16 x 6.50-8 and 23 x 8.50-12.
I also have a set of 4.oo-8 tri-ribs and 6-12 AGs.
66 MF10 012.jpg
66 MF10 014.jpg

I also like the look of narrow tri-ribs and AGs, but think that setup is going to tear up the grass more than the wide turfs will.

Attached Thumbnails

• 66 MF10 013.jpg
  • 006.jpg

#37 Gibby OFFLINE  

Gibby

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 4886
  • 96 Thanks
  • 360 posts

Posted January 07, 2012 - 04:38 PM

Right or wrong, everyone has opinions.

Quick, someone tell this guy he's doing it wrong.
Posted Image
  • jpswift1 said thank you

#38 Frank Morris OFFLINE  

Frank Morris

• 11 Thanks
  • 69 posts

Posted January 07, 2012 - 10:21 PM

No offense taken.
One of the reasons I started this thread even though I never said was to get opinions from different people.

The main reasons I bought these tires
1 - There a 6ply rated tire.
2 - load rated for 746 lbs at 44psi.
3 - I like the looks of them.

These 2 tractors here show the difference between wide and narrow.
The narrow one has the tire size you like on it 4.00-8 and 6-12.
The wide one has 16 x 6.50-8 and 23 x 8.50-12.
I also have a set of 4.oo-8 tri-ribs and 6-12 AGs.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]27768[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]27769[/ATTACH]
[ATTACH=CONFIG]27771[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]27770[/ATTACH]

I also like the look of narrow tri-ribs and AGs, but think that setup is going to tear up the grass more than the wide turfs will.

Your darn tootin they'll tear up the grass, the narrow tire setup would ONLY be beneficial in mud/snow/dirt. I have a friend that uses the 5.70-8 small trailer tire for turf, he says its much easier on steering and works much better. It's 18 tall, but a little narrower than a standard turf, I do like the 18x6.50-8's just because you can mach the tread with the rears, but they are expensive. I really wish they would make the old rear zigzag pattern on the old cubs, they also made a front zigzag pattern. I think the biggest problem with tires is that tractors got bigger, but wheels still stayed the same, I've seen low profile car tires on the rear of 70s GTs and they fit, bot pattern and tire under fender, if they would have used more 14 and 15 inch rims on the bigger tractors like the Massey 14's, 1650s etc, we could have used existing mud and snow or even studded tires that were very poular at the time. I also think the fronts are a little small for the bigger tractors. You take a Bolens large frame, Massey 1650, or Cub 982, the 8 inch rims are way under sized. The tractor manufacturers slipped a little here, just like cabinet companies took YEARS to start making the cabinet above your refrigerator as deep (further out) than the new refrigerators

#39 TUDOR OFFLINE  

TUDOR

Tractorholic

• Member No: 915
  • 543 Thanks
  • 497 posts

Posted January 08, 2012 - 05:37 AM

Hmmmm. Not too sure about narrow tires and snow. The tractor is usually following a snow blower, front blade, or a loader bucket on cleared, hard packed snow. Traction is at a premium and more square inches in contact will generally yield better traction in slippery conditions.

Through an open field covered in deep snow, you definitely have a point, if the wheels are tall enough.

#40 Frank Morris OFFLINE  

Frank Morris

• 11 Thanks
  • 69 posts

Posted January 09, 2012 - 09:47 AM

Hmmmm. Not too sure about narrow tires and snow. The tractor is usually following a snow blower, front blade, or a loader bucket on cleared, hard packed snow. Traction is at a premium and more square inches in contact will generally yield better traction in slippery conditions.

Through an open field covered in deep snow, you definitely have a point, if the wheels are tall enough.

Your right, not to narrow. I like the taller 25x8.50-12 on the rear and the 5.70-8 or 18x6,50-8 on the front, a taller tire gives better traction, both front and rear. The main problem I have with the wide fronts is how much power it takes to push those beach balls forward and turn in mud/dirt. And the 12 inch wide rears whether they are turf or AG are "flotation" tires, and work well for grass or pulling a sled, but not great tilling or in snow/mud

#41 skyrydr2 OFFLINE  

skyrydr2

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5032
  • 3,403 Thanks
  • 3,154 posts

Posted January 09, 2012 - 03:07 PM

I like tall tires too, I wish I could get a rear tire that was like 28-8.5-12 , now that would be nice, I don't have much troubles with tearing up the sod, but it does leave marks if its soft...

#42 Frank Morris OFFLINE  

Frank Morris

• 11 Thanks
  • 69 posts

Posted January 14, 2012 - 01:01 PM

I like tall tires too, I wish I could get a rear tire that was like 28-8.5-12 , now that would be nice, I don't have much troubles with tearing up the sod, but it does leave marks if its soft...

I believe a 205/75/15 would be close to a 28x8.50-12, I've seen guys bolt those five lug truck/car tires on

#43 Lauber1 OFFLINE  

Lauber1

DB restorer

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 4926
  • 3,440 Thanks
  • 2,796 posts

Posted January 14, 2012 - 01:09 PM

guess i never really cared if i tore up the grass. So did i miss it, where do you get this brand of tire. I looked at their website and saw they had some other sizes but couldnt find any dealer listed other than one out in NJ.

#44 TUDOR OFFLINE  

TUDOR

Tractorholic

• Member No: 915
  • 543 Thanks
  • 497 posts

Posted January 15, 2012 - 04:33 AM

Your right, not to narrow. I like the taller 25x8.50-12 on the rear and the 5.70-8 or 18x6,50-8 on the front, a taller tire gives better traction, both front and rear. The main problem I have with the wide fronts is how much power it takes to push those beach balls forward and turn in mud/dirt. And the 12 inch wide rears whether they are turf or AG are "flotation" tires, and work well for grass or pulling a sled, but not great tilling or in snow/mud

I would venture to say that your snow conditions are quite a bit different from mine. We often get snow after snow after snow in December, one year for 16 days straight at 4" or more each day. My turf 26x12-12's and trailer 18x9.50-8's worked very well indeed. Lots of traction on both ends, but my MF1655 with its FEL weighed well over 2400 lb.

This year was very different. Not enough snow to bother with until January, and I've only cleared snow 3 times to date.

#45 skyrydr2 OFFLINE  

skyrydr2

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5032
  • 3,403 Thanks
  • 3,154 posts

Posted January 15, 2012 - 06:34 AM

I believe a 205/75/15 would be close to a 28x8.50-12, I've seen guys bolt those five lug truck/car tires on

In a tractor bar tread ? That's what I want, mounted on a 12" rim , I'll keep dreaming anyway,