Nominations for Tractor of the Month
Garden Tractors and Parts on eBay

Photo
- - - - -

any value to mid mount sickle bar mower?

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#1 fort apache OFFLINE  

fort apache

Tractorholic

• Member No: 7817
  • 15 Thanks
  • 137 posts

Posted December 30, 2011 - 04:12 PM

I'm new in this game. I just bought a Powerking, but I know little about any other garden tractors.

On a local website, a private seller is selling, among other implements for Sears Garden Tractors, a mid-mount sickle-bar mower.

No photos, sorry.

I might go look, since its close. I'm interested in the 3pt disk and plow (which I'm guessing is Cat 0). But I might pick up the mower if its the right price and has value. Maybe I could trade it or sell it.

Anyone give me a ballpark value or anything I should look for?

#2 Gibby OFFLINE  

Gibby

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 4886
  • 96 Thanks
  • 360 posts

Posted December 30, 2011 - 04:30 PM

Around here I see them go for $350 or so, sometimes less, sometimes more but $350 is avaerage. I got lucky and got mine for $100.
  • fort apache said thank you

#3 fort apache OFFLINE  

fort apache

Tractorholic

• 15 Thanks
  • 137 posts

Posted December 30, 2011 - 04:34 PM

Thanks. I'm going to call him and get the details and prices for the implements.

#4 Reverend Blair OFFLINE  

Reverend Blair

Tractorholic

• Member No: 1659
  • 501 Thanks
  • 952 posts

Posted December 30, 2011 - 04:50 PM

If you can get a sickle mower, my advice is to keep it and use it. Beautiful for long grass and tough weeds. It's the most used implement I have for my two wheeler, and I'd love to have one for the 420. They can be a little hard on cats though, so be careful.

#5 fort apache OFFLINE  

fort apache

Tractorholic

• 15 Thanks
  • 137 posts

Posted December 30, 2011 - 05:12 PM

Did your cat like those shiny flashy blades?

I don't know if I could use the mower, cause my tractor has the pto pully on the front of the engine. I just called the number but no answer. I'll get some details later.

If you can get a sickle mower, my advice is to keep it and use it. Beautiful for long grass and tough weeds. It's the most used implement I have for my two wheeler, and I'd love to have one for the 420. They can be a little hard on cats though, so be careful.

#6 JD DANNELS OFFLINE  

JD DANNELS

Tractorholic

• Member No: 2011
  • 3,786 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted December 30, 2011 - 05:14 PM

I would second that advice. Alc has got me thinking of planting some sourgam grass to produce garden mulch. The sickle would cut the long grass making better mulch than my belly mount rotary's. It would also be a benifit for cleaning fence rows I cant drive over. I'll be looking for a sickle mower myself either tracor mounted or a two wheeler.

#7 fort apache OFFLINE  

fort apache

Tractorholic

• 15 Thanks
  • 137 posts

Posted December 30, 2011 - 06:56 PM

I got ahold of the guy. Nice fella. All the equipment was his dad's, who just died. He doesn't know a whole lot about the stuff, doesn't seem interested in it. He told me I could have a mower for $40 if I wanted it. Said they are nice, kept in a barn. Said its a Roper or something? It's an old Sears cutter, said the blade is about 4ft long.

He's emailing me tomorrow with pictures. Oh, he said he has three of these mowers. He said they all have wooden pittman arms. Does that ring a bell for you guys?

#8 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,268 Thanks
  • 28,606 posts

Posted December 30, 2011 - 07:10 PM

For $40 each, buy all three!!! You can resell the other 2 and if they are all there, you will definitely be ahead.

#9 Gibby OFFLINE  

Gibby

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 4886
  • 96 Thanks
  • 360 posts

Posted December 30, 2011 - 07:12 PM

I got ahold of the guy. Nice fella. All the equipment was his dad's, who just died. He doesn't know a whole lot about the stuff, doesn't seem interested in it. He told me I could have a mower for $40 if I wanted it. Said they are nice, kept in a barn. Said its a Roper or something? It's an old Sears cutter, said the blade is about 4ft long.

He's emailing me tomorrow with pictures. Oh, he said he has three of these mowers. He said they all have wooden pittman arms. Does that ring a bell for you guys?

The earlier models like mine have the wooden pitman arm. For $40, don't wait for the pics, just go get them all and give him $50 each and a bouquet of flowers. Keep one for yourself and sell the other two for a few hundred bucks each. If it's for a roper(sears), I'd find an old suburban to mount it on rather than try to modify it for some other tractor. It'll fit any suburban from 1965 to 1979. I think 12 hp and up would be best, but a 10 hp would work. I'd think you could easily trade a sickle bar mower for a nice running suburban.

Edit: If they are very early(like mine), you may have to cut the running board for clearance as the early suburbans just had foot rests, not full length running boards. No big deal, I just had to cut a piece about 6 inches long by about an inch or inch and a half wide out.

Edited by Gibby, December 30, 2011 - 07:19 PM.

#10 Reverend Blair OFFLINE  

Reverend Blair

Tractorholic

• Member No: 1659
  • 501 Thanks
  • 952 posts

Posted December 30, 2011 - 08:37 PM

Wooden pitman arms? Gotta be the most beautiful nightmare ever invented. Memories of Cockshutt 30s and slough hay and swimming with ducks and learning how cool things can really be if you let them.

Buy them all. Nostalgia is always profitable, at least as long as it's somebody else's.

#11 dstaggs OFFLINE  

dstaggs

In Remembrance, RIP Dale

• RIP
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 228
  • 553 Thanks
  • 1,781 posts

Posted December 30, 2011 - 08:52 PM

I have some old Sears. How much for the Sickle???? Are do you need the Gt??? And Welcome to GTtalk.

#12 fort apache OFFLINE  

fort apache

Tractorholic

• 15 Thanks
  • 137 posts

Posted December 31, 2011 - 04:49 PM

I'm still waiting. But, its new years eve, so may not hear anything for a day or two. If I get them, I'll be selling them or trading. I'll keep the post updated. Thanks for everything!

#13 Ryan313 OFFLINE  

Ryan313

PK Fanatic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7087
  • 3,239 Thanks
  • 5,159 posts

Posted December 31, 2011 - 05:35 PM

if you can get all 3, get all 3. i wish i had a sickle bar for one of my power kings. if its a mid mount you might be able to make it work on the front pto if you use the mule drive from your belly mower. here is a pic of one, i dont think its economy made and i dont know what he had to do to make it work, if anything.
http://www.mytractor...25&d=1311258002

here is country squire (basically the same) with a factory sickle, this on runs off of the flywheel in the middle.
Posted Image

#14 fort apache OFFLINE  

fort apache

Tractorholic

• 15 Thanks
  • 137 posts

Posted December 31, 2011 - 06:05 PM

I'm gonna try Ryan. Thanks for the pics. That's just how I want mine to look.

[quote name='bmxkid313']if you can get all 3, get all 3. i wish i had a sickle bar for one of my power kings. if its a mid mount you might be able to make it work on the front pto if you use the mule drive from your belly mower. here is a pic of one, i dont think its economy made and i dont know what he had to do to make it work, if anything.

#15 fort apache OFFLINE  

fort apache

Tractorholic

• 15 Thanks
  • 137 posts

Posted January 01, 2012 - 08:43 PM

The gentleman just sent me a few pics. Here's a couple of some of the mowers. There's some other great stuff too. Anybody able to ID these mowers?

Red Cutter.jpg

Attached Thumbnails

• Blue Cutter.jpg