• Lovintractorin said thank you

#17 JD DANNELS OFFLINE  

JD DANNELS

Tractorholic

• Member No: 2011
  • 3,786 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted December 31, 2011 - 07:53 PM

All the pictures are there and an impressive project! Thanks for sharing!!

#18 dstaggs OFFLINE  

dstaggs

In Remembrance, RIP Dale

• RIP
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 228
  • 553 Thanks
  • 1,781 posts

Posted December 31, 2011 - 08:45 PM

Wow Tucker that looks like you cold raise things all year with little heat.

#19 Lovintractorin OFFLINE  

Lovintractorin

Tinkerer

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 4180
  • 159 Thanks
  • 603 posts

Posted January 02, 2012 - 04:07 PM

Thanks for the comments guys.

Greg, I am not sure where we bought the plastic. The tubing is just top rail for chain link fence, I believe.

There is not much in there right now. A bunch of greens, but those are getting used pretty rapidly. Here is what it looked like in there a 2 weeks ago. Not sure how much is left.

PIMG0139.jpg

#20 fort apache OFFLINE  

fort apache

Tractorholic

• Member No: 7817
  • 15 Thanks
  • 137 posts

Posted January 06, 2012 - 02:28 PM

Tucker, I really enjoy reading your posts. You should write a book about your work.

#21 Lovintractorin OFFLINE  

Lovintractorin

Tinkerer

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 159 Thanks
  • 603 posts

Posted January 06, 2012 - 08:43 PM

Tucker, I really enjoy reading your posts. You should write a book about your work.

Thanks, but I am not too good at writing, other than posts. I tried a book once when I was 10-12 years old maybe? Didn't get real far. 8 page faces I think. We still got it somewhere. lol

This project is mostly my parents. I do a lot of work on it, have some of the ideas, and own the tractors and equipment we use but we would still be out in the country on our little farm if it wasn't for Dad's conviction to move into the city where there is a need, and help fill it.

Edited by Lovintractorin, January 07, 2012 - 04:47 PM.

#22 Alc ONLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1094
  • 5,450 Thanks
  • 6,616 posts

Posted January 07, 2012 - 09:34 AM

Don't worry about how well you write things for us , anything you post will be read and appreciated , Al

#23 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,421 Thanks
  • 39,670 posts

Posted January 07, 2012 - 10:05 AM

:ditto::iagree: That was a real neat read and interesting story. Thanks for sharing it.

#24 fort apache OFFLINE  

fort apache

Tractorholic

• 15 Thanks
  • 137 posts

Posted January 09, 2012 - 11:30 AM

I read your mother's blog. Did you tear down houses to make this farm?

#25 Lovintractorin OFFLINE  

Lovintractorin

Tinkerer

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 159 Thanks
  • 603 posts

Posted January 09, 2012 - 02:12 PM

I read your mother's blog. Did you tear down houses to make this farm?

No, we did not tear down any houses. The houses were already torn down previously, and the empty lots owned by the city.

In this section of Buffalo there is a huge problem of vacant houses and land. I can't remember the exact number but it is tens of thousands of empty abandon properties, many falling down and in some areas almost whole blocks. There are many arsons. Often daily. What happens is the houses are just left sit and scrappers strip them of wiring and pipes regardless if the water or electric is still on. I saw a house in winter with pipes busted out upstairs and there was a giant ice outcroppings off the side of the house. Once the house is too far gone the city puts it on the demolish list and it gets demolished eventually unless it is burned first.

Because of this problem you can buy decent sized houses that needs some work and pipes for less than one thousand dollars or emtpy lots for a dollar. My sister has a friend who just bought a house for 800 dollars that needs windows and pipes mainly. There are a few other things it needs as well but still for a house shell, that is nothing. These are decently sized older structurally sounds houses.

I'll step down off my soup box now.

#26 fort apache OFFLINE  

fort apache

Tractorholic

• 15 Thanks
  • 137 posts

Posted January 09, 2012 - 03:07 PM

I read that there is talk in Detroit of demolishing blighted areas of the city and developing it into farm land. What is the neighborhood like at the farm? Seems like you have a sense of community by the photos of people helping you in the fields. Is there a lot of crime? Are people afraid?

And when you buy a lot for $1, does the city expect you to build a house or can you keep it as a garden?

No, we did not tear down any houses. The houses were already torn down previously, and the empty lots owned by the city.

In this section of Buffalo there is a huge problem of vacant houses and land. I can't remember the exact number but it is tens of thousands of empty abandon properties, many falling down and in some areas almost whole blocks. There are many arsons. Often daily. What happens is the houses are just left sit and scrappers strip them of wiring and pipes regardless if the water or electric is still on. I saw a house in winter with pipes busted out upstairs and there was a giant ice outcroppings off the side of the house. Once the house is too far gone the city puts it on the demolish list and it gets demolished eventually unless it is burned first.

Because of this problem you can buy decent sized houses that needs some work and pipes for less than one thousand dollars or emtpy lots for a dollar. My sister has a friend who just bought a house for 800 dollars that needs windows and pipes mainly. There are a few other things it needs as well but still for a house shell, that is nothing. These are decently sized older structurally sounds houses.

I'll step down off my soup box now.

#27 Lovintractorin OFFLINE  

Lovintractorin

Tinkerer

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 159 Thanks
  • 603 posts

Posted January 09, 2012 - 07:00 PM

I read that there is talk in Detroit of demolishing blighted areas of the city and developing it into farm land. What is the neighborhood like at the farm? Seems like you have a sense of community by the photos of people helping you in the fields. Is there a lot of crime? Are people afraid?

We don't get a lot of help from the community but hopefully that will change though time. The community appreciates it but for the most part the people that help are people who are into fresh food and urban farming.

There is not a lot of crime despite the bad light this side of the city is put under. There is as much, or more crime in other parts of the city and the only people who are afraid are the ones who don't live here and just read the newspapers or listen to the news. I have never had trouble, my brother almost did over a bicycle, but a cop drove by and they left him be. I've had more trouble with the cops than with anybody else. They think that if you live here you are a criminal or something. You don't walk around at 3 in the morning but most responsible people are in bed by then anyway. Our garage was robbed once but we know who did it and it had to have been a larger ring. Many places were hit around that time, but before that and since we haven't had any trouble.

And when you buy a lot for $1, does the city expect you to build a house or can you keep it as a garden?

Once you buy the lot I believe you can do with it whatever you want. I think it has to be adjacent to your place of residence though

Edited by Lovintractorin, January 10, 2012 - 09:08 AM.

#28 fort apache OFFLINE  

fort apache

Tractorholic

• 15 Thanks
  • 137 posts

Posted January 10, 2012 - 09:06 AM

I'd say the community is lucky to have you guys around. I enjoy the blog and respect what you are doing.

#29 Lovintractorin OFFLINE  

Lovintractorin

Tinkerer

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 159 Thanks
  • 603 posts

Posted January 10, 2012 - 09:09 AM

I'd say the community is lucky to have you guys around. I enjoy the blog and respect what you are doing.

Thank you.

#30 Lovintractorin OFFLINE  

Lovintractorin

Tinkerer

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 159 Thanks
  • 603 posts

Posted February 04, 2012 - 07:52 AM

Not much has been happening with the hoophouse lately. We are still eating greens out of it. Kale and spinach. We spread compost in there a couple weeks ago. I need to till it all in soon so mom can start planting.

PIMG0222.jpg

I have been moving around piles for composting the last few days.
PIMG0219.jpg