3 replies to this topic

#1 Reverend Blair OFFLINE  

Reverend Blair

Tractorholic

• Member No: 1659
  • 501 Thanks
  • 952 posts

Posted December 29, 2011 - 10:39 PM

I don't know what kind of tractor...pretty sure it'll be either orange or green and likely a CUT...but it took some serious explaining.

A woman I know through work owns a couple of horses and about 40 acres. She was complaining about all the shovelling though, and how she never has time and how she has to pay somebody to clear her driveway.

"Hey," I said, "You should buy a tractor!" Okay, it seems like common sense, right? You have a largish piece of land and horses and you're a grandmother who lives alone, so you buy a tractor. I don't know how rich she is, but she has kind of honcho-ish job and doesn't have a mortgage, so a tractor of some sort should be affordable.

"But tractors are so hard to drive with all the gears and levers," she said.

We were standing beside a forklift so I pointed out how easy those are to use by pointing out the dimness of the average forklift operator. "Oh, I can use a forklift," she said. "We all had to learn during the last strike. They're easy. Tractors are hard though, they are big and have gears and extra brake pedals and that wheel on the side and no power steering."

I understood. She'd seen old tractors when she was growing up and somehow thought they'd stayed the same. She was worried about that "wheel on the side" because she might have to hook up a canvas belt to run a threshing machine or something.

So I explained garden tractors and CUTs to her. How easy they were to use. How they had front end loaders. How they could mow grass or roto-till her garden. How they were small and easy to handle. She had no idea that such things existed.

So I told her to stop in at a Kubota dealership on her way home and told her the part guy's name. Then I called him and told him to talk to her, not just feed her to a salesman.

She just called, all excited at the "cute little tractors" she'd seen. The parts guy suggested she look at some John Deeres too. I knew he would, that's why I told her to talk to him. She's definitely buying something, that's for sure. :dancingbanana:

#2 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,303 Thanks
  • 28,628 posts

Posted December 29, 2011 - 10:47 PM

Did you tell her about GTTalk? :rofl2:

Good for you, Rev. Sounds like 3 things happened today...
1. You did your good dead for the week helping a little old lady see the light.
2. Your buddy will get a little commission and be happy too.
3. There will be several horses for sale near you...

#3 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,466 Thanks
  • 39,701 posts

Posted December 30, 2011 - 02:51 AM

Way to go! Before long, you'll have competition buying all the GT's around there.:bigrofl:

#4 mjodrey OFFLINE  

mjodrey

Accumulator

• Contributor
  • Member No: 92
  • 2,343 Thanks
  • 13,481 posts

Posted December 30, 2011 - 05:22 AM

Yes sir,way to go.