OldBuzzard

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 805
  • 6,488 Thanks
  • 4,634 posts

Posted December 29, 2011 - 08:16 PM

Well, I guess it's time to post an 1886 pic. It's the one with the home made FEL that I picked up a week or so ago.

It's currently 'stuck' in the South Yard. Been so much rain lately that it's like walking on a sponge.

You would think that with a FEL one shouldn't get stuck, but unfortunately, the guy that built it used single acting lift cylinders :wallbanging:

I do have some new shoes for it, and a tiller for counter weight once I get the new tires on it.

I guess I'll try pulling it out with the 1256 with the filled Ags. With the filled Ags, and the differential at full lock, I think that the 1256 just might be able to get it out.

Anyway, here it is. Workmanship on the FEL isn't the greatest, and I'll probably do some work on it, but it should work for anything I'll be using it for.

100_4069.jpg

Attached Thumbnails

• 100_4068.jpg

#2 coldone OFFLINE  

coldone

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 839
  • 1,631 Thanks
  • 1,668 posts

Posted December 29, 2011 - 09:02 PM

Shouldnt be problem to get out. Your FEL looks better than mine, I dont have one :(

#3 Ryan313 OFFLINE  

Ryan313

PK Fanatic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7087
  • 3,239 Thanks
  • 5,159 posts

Posted December 29, 2011 - 09:16 PM

it cant be to hard to pull out, it doesn't look like it sank much, if any. at first I was puzzled as to how you got a tractor with a fel stuck, if it had double acting cylinders you could just walk it out with the bucket. even if its not the best built fel out there, its still better then my fel, but then again... i dont have one.

#4 Bolens 1000 ONLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 12,703 Thanks
  • 17,209 posts

Posted December 29, 2011 - 09:45 PM

Hope you can get it out

#5 OldBuzzard ONLINE  

OldBuzzard

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 6,488 Thanks
  • 4,634 posts

Posted December 29, 2011 - 11:03 PM

... at first I was puzzled as to how you got a tractor with a fel stuck, if it had double acting cylinders you could just walk it out with the bucket. ...

Yeah, I've had a LOT of seat time on a JD (Yanmar) 750 with a FEL, and 'walked' it out of trouble more than once.

Why the guy that built it used single acting cylinders is beyond my comprehension. The valve is plumbed for DA, so replacing the SAs for DAs is going to be at the top of my list this spring.

I need to do something with that line that's hanging under the tractor as well. I haven't checked, but it looks like I may be able to run it thru that square tune under the frame and get it out of harm's way. If not, I may be able to 'tie it up' to that tube. Having it hang down like that is just asking for trouble.

Hope you can get it out

I'm pretty confident that the 1256 will be able to do the job.

Actually, if the large frames would have had the controlled differential like the tube frames, it probably would have gotten stuck to start with.

As nice a feature as the controlled differential is, I'm amazed that Bolens didn't use it with the large frames.

#6 redcarkids OFFLINE  

redcarkids

Tractorholic

• Member No: 7555
  • 242 Thanks
  • 464 posts

Posted December 29, 2011 - 11:28 PM

looks like a 100 foot long chain will reach that road in the back ground lol. Get a good old ford truck to pull it out. Good Luck

#7 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,330 Thanks
  • 28,640 posts

Posted December 29, 2011 - 11:28 PM

Nice loader even with the SA cylinders.
Probably the loader weigh out front took just enough off the rears to spin easier.
Tiller weight is a good idea, but watch backing up :D
Do you have any Wheel Weights?

#8 OldBuzzard ONLINE  

OldBuzzard

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 6,488 Thanks
  • 4,634 posts

Posted December 29, 2011 - 11:51 PM

No wheel weights (yet), but when I get the new tires mounted in the next week or so, they WILL be fluid filled.

I'm not sure if I'm going to go with CaCl, or window washer fluid. The CaCl will be heavier, but the washer fluid won't destroy the grass if it leaks.

#9 Ryan313 OFFLINE  

Ryan313

PK Fanatic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7087
  • 3,239 Thanks
  • 5,159 posts

Posted December 30, 2011 - 12:27 AM

If you use calcuim make sure you have tubes but, Im sure you already know.

#10 cookiemonster OFFLINE  

cookiemonster

Village Idiot

• Member No: 6338
  • 406 Thanks
  • 1,274 posts

Posted December 30, 2011 - 12:28 AM

Yeah, the loader is actually hurting you without double acting. Acts like a see-saw and actually takes weight off the rear tires when you lift it (and adds to the front). Rear weights will help a lot.

#11 OldBuzzard ONLINE  

OldBuzzard

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 6,488 Thanks
  • 4,634 posts

Posted December 30, 2011 - 12:33 AM

looks like a 100 foot long chain will reach that road in the back ground lol. Get a good old ford truck to pull it out. Good Luck

If I was going to do something like that...I'd use that 32' motorhome with the 454 Chev in it. It's a straight shot to the parking lot across the street too. :D:D:D

#12 mjodrey OFFLINE  

mjodrey

Accumulator

• Contributor
  • Member No: 92
  • 2,343 Thanks
  • 13,481 posts

Posted December 30, 2011 - 05:40 AM

That is a good looking loader.

#13 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted December 30, 2011 - 07:08 AM

As you know you really need some weight on the back. It looks like your lawn is saturated with water. It sounds like the PO wanted to save a few bucks by using SA cylinders. Once you get these issues dealt with you have a really nice setup there which will serve you well. Loaders are so useful for moving all kinds of heavy and awkward stuff.

#14 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,330 Thanks
  • 28,640 posts

Posted December 30, 2011 - 08:19 AM

CaCl is nasty stuff for the tractor itself. The chances of having to replace the rims in the future is very high. I would advise using Washer Fluid or Rim Gaurd. Both are more expensive, but better in the long run.

#15 OldBuzzard ONLINE  

OldBuzzard

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 6,488 Thanks
  • 4,634 posts

Posted December 30, 2011 - 11:53 AM

I've seen Rim Guard mentioned/discussed a time or two, and did a bit more research.

It looks like it's DEFINITELY the way to go. There is a Deere dealer about 3 rock throws from me that will fill them with Rim Guard for $3.20 Gal, which includes the labor cost.

So, using Rim Guard's figures of 8.3 Gal. for a 26-12-12, and rounding it up to 9 Gal/tire, that's only $61.20 w/tax total. Danged cheap if ya ask me.

I don't know what the large frame wheel weights weigh, but the Rim Guard will add @ 89# to each tire, and I know that there is no way I'm gonna find weights for $60.00 or so.