• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Dennis Cain OFFLINE  

Dennis Cain

• Member No: 7974
  • 0 Thanks
  • 12 posts

Posted December 29, 2011 - 12:22 PM

I'm new to this sport. I will be pulling in the stock class. Should I weld the end or just leave it alone

#2 tractorman604 OFFLINE  

tractorman604
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 683
  • 269 Thanks
  • 694 posts

Posted December 29, 2011 - 05:08 PM

Welcome to the site Dennis.I know some area's rules are once you do anything to your tractor,even welding rear ends they put you in the modified class.Just make sure to get a list of the rules in your area.
  • Dennis Cain said thank you

#3 junkman1946 OFFLINE  

junkman1946

• Member No: 4236
  • 6 Thanks
  • 19 posts

Posted December 29, 2011 - 07:44 PM

pchili is right. Locked rear ends in some clubs will knock you out of Stock Class. Butttttttttt-if you just take one or two shims out of each axle housing you will "tighten" up the rear a bit. Paying attention to things like tire pressure will give you the same results, and still be legal. You have to do this by trial and error, remove just enough shims so you can still move each axle independently.

Edited by junkman1946, December 29, 2011 - 07:45 PM.
typo

• Rick Brumback and Dennis Cain have said thanks

#4 Rick Brumback OFFLINE  

Rick Brumback

Tractorholic

• Member No: 4355
  • 19 Thanks
  • 124 posts

Posted December 30, 2011 - 01:34 PM

with our clun we can weld the spider gears or use lockers.we can also use a spool rearend.each club is different to be sure.we can run pro tires in all our stock classes.I doubt any club has a "true" stock class.

#5 Lauber1 OFFLINE  

Lauber1

DB restorer

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 4926
  • 3,456 Thanks
  • 2,801 posts

Posted December 30, 2011 - 01:47 PM

Yrs back when i pulled they took the parts from a Dodge Darts rear end and put them in the cubs, for a heavier duty rear set. I remeber that they had to take a dieginder and enlarge the case on one side to fit it in.

#6 cookiemonster OFFLINE  

cookiemonster

Village Idiot

• Member No: 6338
  • 406 Thanks
  • 1,274 posts

Posted December 30, 2011 - 02:18 PM

Yrs back when i pulled they took the parts from a Dodge Darts rear end and put them in the cubs, for a heavier duty rear set. I remeber that they had to take a dieginder and enlarge the case on one side to fit it in.

That's interesting in that the panzers rear ends are supposed to be manufactured from late 50's dodge dart or plymouth valiant or whatever. I'd love to have a "locker" lever or something, but know that a kit for that would never exist... or even be affordable.

Anyway as for pulling... if it's all the same and you're given your choice of to lock or not to lock... Either lock it or make sure you have independent rear brakes. The only advantage (i think) of an unlocked diff is that you can steer with the brakes should your front wheels come up.

#7 Rick Brumback OFFLINE  

Rick Brumback

Tractorholic

• 19 Thanks
  • 124 posts

Posted December 31, 2011 - 09:04 AM

if you want both rear tires to pull,weld em up.independant rear brakes...no.normallt body weight is used for steering.if you have a foot on the throttle pedal,how you going to use a brake on that side?

#8 Grumpy OFFLINE  

Grumpy

Tractorholic

• Member No: 440
  • 642 Thanks
  • 578 posts

Posted December 31, 2011 - 03:09 PM

Check your club rules. most clubs I have pulled with don' allow locked rear ends in any class.

#9 skyrydr2 ONLINE  

skyrydr2

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5032
  • 3,418 Thanks
  • 3,165 posts

Posted December 31, 2011 - 03:58 PM

Forget the locked rear end ,you will never be able to steer , and it will make it harder to keep from veering off to the side with less traction.

#10 Amigatec OFFLINE  

Amigatec

Collector of Rusty Junk

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5899
  • 2,023 Thanks
  • 3,172 posts

Posted December 31, 2011 - 04:04 PM

If you do anything to the rearend you need to replace the coarse spline axle and carrier with the fine splined ones.
  • Rick Brumback said thank you

#11 Rick Brumback OFFLINE  

Rick Brumback

Tractorholic

• 19 Thanks
  • 124 posts

Posted December 31, 2011 - 05:07 PM

You de right.Fine spline or a dart set up IS the best way to go.But fgor us budget minded pullers not to mention having tight money,weldin up them spiders is the cheapest way to go for lockin up the rear.We are allowed to use lockers or weld em up.I use fines and weld em up anyways.Also most people really use body weight to steer goin down the track.Lean one side or the other.