wvbuzzmaster

Squeaky Wheel

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1792
  • 4,493 Thanks
  • 7,341 posts

Posted December 28, 2011 - 05:20 PM

I went back to the scrap yard today to grab a Gravely I just couldn't stand having left the last couple of times. It is a definite parts machine, but it is a model L8 with the Swiftamatic (2 speed axle) feature, as well as riding on wheels that will NEVER go flat.... factory steel wheels! And oh ya, it has factory wheel weights/dual spacers on it also. It did have duals but they were kinda hokey, so I brought those home too LOL. The guy had a piece of pipe with steel lugs he had welded to them (kept the gravely theme to them). He did a nice job and basically slid them over another set of tires for a gravely, and inflated the tires lol. The custom steel wheels was innovative and well done, so I might make centers for themso I can have dual steel. Those original steel wheels aren't cheap. I also got a decent brush hog, working sickle bar, and a complete working rotary plow with it as well. Anyone care to guess what I spent? lol
  • jms180 said thank you

#2 Bolens 1000 ONLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 12,701 Thanks
  • 17,208 posts

Posted December 28, 2011 - 05:44 PM

Congrats on the new Gravely

:wewantpics:

#3 jms180 ONLINE  

jms180

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1266
  • 925 Thanks
  • 1,216 posts

Posted December 28, 2011 - 05:50 PM

Thanks for saving one from scrap man it could have returned as China stuff.

#4 caseguy OFFLINE  

caseguy

Connoisseur of Rusty Junk

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 906
  • 1,624 Thanks
  • 5,600 posts

Posted December 28, 2011 - 05:50 PM

Glad you're in the rescuing business Casey, congrats! Where you gonna put this one LOL!

#5 Lovintractorin OFFLINE  

Lovintractorin

Tinkerer

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 4180
  • 159 Thanks
  • 603 posts

Posted December 28, 2011 - 05:56 PM

Cool beans! Would love to find on of those for a little sometime. Did you get it for scrap prices?:wewantpics:

#6 wvbuzzmaster OFFLINE  

wvbuzzmaster

Squeaky Wheel

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 4,493 Thanks
  • 7,341 posts

Posted December 28, 2011 - 06:14 PM

Glad you're in the rescuing business Casey, congrats! Where you gonna put this one LOL!

For right now I put it next to your WH... at the end of the driveway... for lack of wanting to push a 700 pound monster of a Gravely anywhere. I will drag it to where the rest of the Gravely stuff is this weekend though.

#7 wvbuzzmaster OFFLINE  

wvbuzzmaster

Squeaky Wheel

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 4,493 Thanks
  • 7,341 posts

Posted December 28, 2011 - 06:19 PM

Cool beans! Would love to find on of those for a little sometime. Did you get it for scrap prices?:wewantpics:

Tucker, I pay outgoing scrap prices to save items I feel like toting out of there... and that number is roughly $400 per ton. Today was about $150 worth and I passed up 2 or 3 more sickle mowers and another brush hog. I decided to just grab the sickle mowers that were 100% operative, which is this one today. I might garb the other two though, might be a whole good one between them. I dunno, I had to pick and choose more so than ever. I didn't even walk around the rest of the scrap yard today.

#8 Lovintractorin OFFLINE  

Lovintractorin

Tinkerer

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 4180
  • 159 Thanks
  • 603 posts

Posted December 28, 2011 - 06:31 PM

Tucker, I pay outgoing scrap prices to save items I feel like toting out of there... and that number is roughly $400 per ton. Today was about $150 worth and I passed up 2 or 3 more sickle mowers and another brush hog. I decided to just grab the sickle mowers that were 100% operative, which is this one today. I might garb the other two though, might be a whole good one between them. I dunno, I had to pick and choose more so than ever. I didn't even walk around the rest of the scrap yard today.

Wow, I really need to get up there someday. Sounds like a cool scrap yard.

#9 wvbuzzmaster OFFLINE  

wvbuzzmaster

Squeaky Wheel

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 4,493 Thanks
  • 7,341 posts

Posted December 28, 2011 - 07:23 PM

Wow, I really need to get up there someday. Sounds like a cool scrap yard.

Won't do you any good to visit my scrap yard, I am already bringing the cream of the crop home lol.

#10 coldone OFFLINE  

coldone

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 839
  • 1,631 Thanks
  • 1,668 posts

Posted December 28, 2011 - 08:43 PM

Sounds like a Great save! I am curious as to why you consider it a parts machine.

#11 wvbuzzmaster OFFLINE  

wvbuzzmaster

Squeaky Wheel

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 4,493 Thanks
  • 7,341 posts

Posted December 28, 2011 - 09:06 PM

Sounds like a Great save! I am curious as to why you consider it a parts machine.

There are 6 reasons:

1: No magneto
2: Engine turns too easy like unhooked (might be broken rod)
3: One entire handle bar is a piece of pipe lol (no joke)
4: Hood trashed
5: Thinking of using the transaxle on the other Gravely L we have, as well as the steel wheels.
6: It was only 150 bucks, it will cost nothing more to use its parts on another Gravely in the collection that needs some things than to rebuild it.

I made most of those excuses up on the spot, but that's ok. It will not be parted out as parts but as whole working parts to be used to make one decent Gravely into a heck of a workhorse.

#12 coldone OFFLINE  

coldone

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 839
  • 1,631 Thanks
  • 1,668 posts

Posted December 28, 2011 - 10:10 PM

Cool. I am glad to see it is going to resurect another gravely. Since i converted my L to an L8, I wont part with it. I think a gravely L8 should be a mandatory homeowners item if you have a country lot. I have used the h3ll out of my Goat, L8 with bush hog. I have reclaimed overgrown land and I am going to use it to clean out the undergrowth of my woods.

#13 wvbuzzmaster OFFLINE  

wvbuzzmaster

Squeaky Wheel

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 4,493 Thanks
  • 7,341 posts

Posted December 28, 2011 - 11:06 PM

Dad has a good L that need to be reassembled. We are going to put the LI gearset that was bought for the L in the rebuild/combination of the L and L8 as well so that it will be a hog of a machine. Might not be a restored L8, but it will be redone to be quite a machine. I don't have high hopes for the motor on the L8 currently, just hoping the transaxle is still good. I kinda can't wait to work on it but it will have to be a springtime project.

#14 wvbuzzmaster OFFLINE  

wvbuzzmaster

Squeaky Wheel

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 4,493 Thanks
  • 7,341 posts

Posted December 30, 2011 - 05:25 PM

Well, the plan has already changed. I cleaned out the nutshells and turned the crank... and it has compression! Dad really wants the steel wheels for his Gravely L (which his is older) so I told him I would trade him the steel wheels (I know they are the cool part) for the 2 pairs of 4.80-8 ags on Gravely rims with the custom made dual spacer that he got at a yard sale for the steel wheels. Now, I will be keeping my wheel weights too and I have the second pair of rims that came with the L8 and some more 4.80-8 ags that I got for free couple years ago. So, I have the potential to have triples on my L8 once I get it going. At least going to start out with duals though. Hopefully it won't cost an arm and a leg to fix the L8 up. Next week I am going to head back to the scrap yard and grab the other Gravely L that is there because I need the magneto, a handlebar (one of mine is homemade from pipe lol), and I am sure I will need some odds and ends off that other gravely before it is over.

#15 drbish ONLINE  

drbish

Collecter

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2544
  • 1,162 Thanks
  • 1,162 posts

Posted December 30, 2011 - 05:31 PM

:camera: