Nominations for Tractor of the Month
Garden Tractors and Parts on eBay

Photo
- - - - -

Questions about buying a Bolens (1220 Vs any other model)

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1 braxx OFFLINE  

braxx

• Member No: 7898
  • 20 Thanks
  • 45 posts

Posted December 28, 2011 - 02:53 PM

Hello,
I’m interested in getting a GT for hobby purposes. I don’t need one but I “might” use it to plow/blow snow (We usually don’t get more than 4-6inches at any one time), possibly till a garden (I already use a decent sized walk behind for this.)and lastly might cut some over grown residential grass. Mostly I want one to tinker with as I don’t have the space for full size vehicles as a hobby.
I recently found a Bolens 1220 with a deck, tiller, snow caster and front blade. It looks like it would suit me nicely. A couple of questions come to mind:
1) Where does this model fall in terms of size/ability? (ie; I know the usual progression is 600, 650,750, 800, 850, 900, 1000, 1050, 1220,1225) Does that mean the 1220 is close to the top of the food chain as far as the middle sized tube framed Bolens GT’s go?
2) Why do I see Way more information about the 1050 and less about the 1220? It seems like the 1050 was more popular.
3) Are there any reasons to shy away from a 1220 and pick a 1050 (Or any other model for that matter) instead?
4) I’ve read the attachment are pretty much interchangeable between the tube frame models but is there anything unique about the 1220 that would not allow for the use of the common attachments or is that anything unique about costly repairs to the 1220 that the more common models (1050) don’t have?

#2 Lovintractorin OFFLINE  

Lovintractorin

Tinkerer

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 4180
  • 159 Thanks
  • 603 posts

Posted December 28, 2011 - 03:13 PM

I am just here to welcome you to GTtalk. There are some very knowledgeable Bolens guys on here, that should be along shortly. I am fairly new to them myself but the tubeframes are a rugged bunch and I love them.

#3 KennyP OFFLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,408 Thanks
  • 39,662 posts

Posted December 28, 2011 - 04:02 PM

Welcome, braxx! Just another part of the welcome committee, don't know anything about Bolens except they are well built machines. Never seen one up close and personal.

#4 OldBuzzard ONLINE  

OldBuzzard

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 805
  • 6,481 Thanks
  • 4,633 posts

Posted December 28, 2011 - 04:53 PM

One reason you see the 1050 talked about so much is that there were a LOT of them sold. Bolens made them for 4 years, and 10 HP was sort of a "sweet spot" as far as power was concerned. Big enough to do some actual work without being 'overpowered'.

There is nothing wrong with the 1220 as far as I know. It's just that they were only made in 1969.

It's interesting that Bolens had been making a 12.5 HP (the 1250) tractor in 67 and 68, but it was a hydro. The 1220 was the largest of the gear driven tractors at the time. Previous to it, the highest HP in a gear driven Bolens was the 1050.

There should be nothing to worry about as far as attachment compatibility.

Just to make sure, you could look thru this "Attachments interchangeability" guide. It will tell you which implements were available for the 1220.

Attached File  BOLENS_TUBEFRAME_Service _Repair 7.pdf   48.4KB   198 downloads

#5 Lovintractorin OFFLINE  

Lovintractorin

Tinkerer

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 159 Thanks
  • 603 posts

Posted December 28, 2011 - 05:04 PM

One reason you see the 1050 talked about so much is that there were a LOT of them sold. Bolens made them for 4 years, and 10 HP was sort of a "sweet spot" as far as power was concerned. Big enough to do some actual work without being 'overpowered'.

There is nothing wrong with the 1220 as far as I know. It's just that they were only made in 1969.

It's interesting that Bolens had been making a 12.5 HP (the 1250) tractor in 67 and 68, but it was a hydro. The 1220 was the largest of the gear driven tractors at the time. Previous to it, the highest HP in a gear driven Bolens was the 1050.

There should be nothing to worry about as far as attachment compatibility.

Just to make sure, you could look thru this "Attachments interchangeability" guide. It will tell you which implements were available for the 1220.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]27218[/ATTACH]

Did you mean this?

Bolens Attachment interchangeability chart - Manuals - Garden Tractor Talk - Forums

Edited by Lovintractorin, December 28, 2011 - 05:09 PM.

#6 Delmar ONLINE  

Delmar
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5039
  • 2,321 Thanks
  • 2,414 posts

Posted December 28, 2011 - 05:10 PM

Hello and welcome to GTtalk! All sorts of information here, just ask and or research. I own a Bolens 1456; hydrostat drive with hydraulics, and I am quite happy with it. Mine and I believe many of the old Bolens tractors have a standard pto on them. I have a pull behind tiller and a snow blower for my tractor. I also have a sleeve hitch for it that I use to pull a plow with in my garden. This tractor has the power needed to do what I want it to. I don't have a mower deck with mine (wish I had one) so I can't tell you about that feature. Mine is a 1985 model, the 1220 I think was 1969-1970 or so. They are very good tractors, and not too complicated to work on. Manuals and parts can be found for them.

My initial reason for buying mine was that it came with a tiller...I have a walk-behind tiller that is a rear-tine self-propelled model and works fine, but having a tiller on a garden tractor is a bunch more efficient and fun method for me to till my garden.

#7 OldBuzzard ONLINE  

OldBuzzard

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 6,481 Thanks
  • 4,633 posts

Posted December 28, 2011 - 05:21 PM

Did you mean this?

Bolens Attachment interchangeability chart - Manuals - Garden Tractor Talk - Forums

No.

The one I posted is much more comprehensive.

It covers everything from the small frames to the Iseki built Bolens

#8 Bolens 1000 ONLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 12,680 Thanks
  • 17,200 posts

Posted December 28, 2011 - 05:25 PM

Welcome to GTT :wave:

:ditto: what the others have said above

The Tubeframes were all basically the same size (length, width and height) The Model numbers did not necessarily mean the tractor was bigger. The only ones that were special sizes were the 600's and the early 800's other than that parts were pretty much interchangeable.

The 1220 is a great machine and it should do the work you plan on doing without any problems.
The 1220 was made for only 1 year and the 1050 for 4 years which explains why you see more 1050's
Only thing I can think of that makes the 1220 inferior to the 1050 would be the tecumseh engine, but thats just my opinion. I never seem to have good luck with tecumseh engines so I tend to stay away from them.
  • fogler12538 said thank you

#9 braxx OFFLINE  

braxx

• 20 Thanks
  • 45 posts

Posted December 28, 2011 - 05:27 PM

Awesome..
So there would be no reason to skip over a 1220 for 1050 if they were both priced the same?

Now to see if the guy will accept my offer.

Oh ya,...

Do I have to have 100 posts before I can download more than 2 manuals in one day?

#10 Lovintractorin OFFLINE  

Lovintractorin

Tinkerer

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 159 Thanks
  • 603 posts

Posted December 28, 2011 - 05:27 PM

No.

The one I posted is much more comprehensive.

It covers everything from the small frames to the Iseki built Bolens

There must be more to it than the link. When I click on it it just takes me to one page about tubeframe specifications.

#11 Bolens 1000 ONLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 12,680 Thanks
  • 17,200 posts

Posted December 28, 2011 - 05:36 PM

Awesome..
So there would be no reason to skip over a 1220 for 1050 if they were both priced the same?

Now to see if the guy will accept my offer.

Oh ya,...

Do I have to have 100 posts before I can download more than 2 manuals in one day?

Once you get to 10 posts I believe you can download more, Becomming a site supporter allows you full access to all the sites features

#12 OldBuzzard ONLINE  

OldBuzzard

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 6,481 Thanks
  • 4,633 posts

Posted December 28, 2011 - 05:44 PM

There must be more to it than the link. When I click on it it just takes me to one page about tubeframe specifications.

:booboo:

Try this:
Attached File  Bolens_Tractor_Attachments_Guide.pdf   3.63MB   150 downloads

... Do I have to have 100 posts before I can download more than 2 manuals in one day?

You should be able to save this one without it counting against that limit.

#13 blueridge80 OFFLINE  

blueridge80

• Member No: 6032
  • 0 Thanks
  • 5 posts

Posted December 28, 2011 - 07:35 PM

I love my 1220. The Tecumseh actually runs well despite the fact I have oil blow back. All I ever did was replace the rectifier with a used one I got off Ebay for $15. However, I agree the Wisconsin is a better engine by far. And no problem with attachments on the Medium frame. My snowblower fits my 750 just fine.

R

#14 braxx OFFLINE  

braxx

• 20 Thanks
  • 45 posts

Posted December 28, 2011 - 09:00 PM

Thank you Oldbuzzard for the .pdf

Thank you aslo to everyone else that posted.

One last question for now.
Is the rear end in a 1220 interchangable with other models?
If other words if I break the rearend can I swap one in from another Bolens without much hassle?

I'm sure I can rebuild/repair nearly anything else it might need but I would hate to have a GT that has a one year only rearend that has no readily available replacement.

#15 Bolens 1000 ONLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 12,680 Thanks
  • 17,200 posts

Posted December 28, 2011 - 09:02 PM

Thank you Oldbuzzard for the .pdf

Thank you aslo to everyone else that posted.

One last question for now.
Is the rear end in a 1220 interchangable with other models?
If other words if I break the rearend can I swap one in from another Bolens without much hassle?

I'm sure I can rebuild/repair nearly anything else it might need but I would hate to have a GT that has a one year only rearend that has no readily available replacement.

Yes, The 6 speed transmission would interchange with a 1000,1050,1053,1054,1220,1253,1254,... and a few others