Michiganmobileman

Old Tractor Addict

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5678
  • 1,235 Thanks
  • 1,842 posts

Posted January 02, 2012 - 08:17 AM

I've been sarching ebay for an external drive, haven't decided on any of the multiple choices yet. I have some stuff re-downloaded and saved on 32 gig sd cards for now.

I still can't figure out how they get 32 gb of info on one of those little cards and only 7 or 8 or however much on a DVD.

Know what you mean, I had to re-install a program off of 3.5 inch floppys the other day, a whopping 1.44 MB each, wow tech sure has come a long way.
Glad you got your trouble cured, I had a virus issue a week ago, did get it resolved with Malwarebytes but still makes you angry that some unknown lowlife can mess with your stuff. According to my go to computer guy (last 20years or so) the only way to avoid a virus 100% is to stay off the internet, I could do that I would miss my tractor friends. He recommended Microsoft Essentials over any of the other commercial anti virus and it is free from MS.

#17 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted January 02, 2012 - 08:38 AM

I'm running a MAC Mini with 2 1tb external firewire 800 drives. One stores my music and the other is a Time Machine drive which is software for backup that comes with the MAC. If your main HD were to crash Time Machine will automatically restore it if thats possible. If you need to replace the drive then it will restore the new drive on power up. I haven't needed it yet, but it's nice to know it's there.
My wife has a PC that is on it's last legs. She works from a couple of large USB drives to prevent loosing her files. She is looking for a new computer but hasn't decided on MAC or PC yet.

#18 Reverend Blair OFFLINE  

Reverend Blair

Tractorholic

• Member No: 1659
  • 501 Thanks
  • 952 posts

Posted January 02, 2012 - 08:46 AM

That Time Machine is fantastic. I got Mrs. Rev a Mac Book for Christmas and she was able to take just the things she wanted off my Mac Book through the Time Machine.

#19 Amigatec OFFLINE  

Amigatec

Collector of Rusty Junk

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5899
  • 2,023 Thanks
  • 3,172 posts

Posted January 02, 2012 - 08:18 PM

I use the Time Machine as well, it makes it almost fool proof.

#20 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 3
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted January 02, 2012 - 09:28 PM

Backing up is always a good idea no matter how you go about doing it. I built a home server for multiple reasons and to help cut down my workload. It has four 1.5 terra byte drives in a raid 10 array. We save all of our pictures, files, PC backups and all kinds of other stuff to it.

It is also what is used to backup the website. I use rsync to do automatic incremental backups every six hours of the files system and every 4 hours for the databases.

#21 Gibby OFFLINE  

Gibby

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 4886
  • 96 Thanks
  • 360 posts

Posted January 04, 2012 - 01:18 AM

Backing up is always a good idea no matter how you go about doing it. I built a home server for multiple reasons and to help cut down my workload. It has four 1.5 terra byte drives in a raid 10 array. We save all of our pictures, files, PC backups and all kinds of other stuff to it.

It is also what is used to backup the website. I use rsync to do automatic incremental backups every six hours of the files system and every 4 hours for the databases.

OK, now that just made my brain hurt.

#22 grand OFFLINE  

grand

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 8
  • 1,632 Thanks
  • 1,909 posts

Posted January 05, 2012 - 11:10 PM

Gibby, that was my son that just explained what he does with his system. I don't have a clue as to what he was talking about.That is why when I have a problem I just ask George to fix it.

#23 Gibby OFFLINE  

Gibby

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 4886
  • 96 Thanks
  • 360 posts

Posted January 06, 2012 - 07:07 PM

Gibby, that was my son that just explained what he does with his system. I don't have a clue as to what he was talking about.That is why when I have a problem I just ask George to fix it.

I'm always thankful for those who do understand computers, because I sure don't, they're still "magic boxes" to me. I've tried to expand my computer literacy , but I just confuse myself further.
  • johnboggs21 said thank you