• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 Jkrogers OFFLINE  

Jkrogers

• Member No: 7856
  • 9 Thanks
  • 65 posts

Posted December 28, 2011 - 11:08 AM

I thought I would work on re-wiring the 129 today. My 129 has a voltage rectifier on it. Is this original? I cannot find it on the wiring diagrams that I have. Thanks for the help, it is always appreciated.

#2 ducky ONLINE  

ducky

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 564
  • 1,623 Thanks
  • 3,861 posts

Posted December 28, 2011 - 11:31 AM

Check Here.
86-108-109-128-129-149-169 & 800-1650 Service Man. - Manuals - Garden Tractor Talk - Forums
Page 1-9

#3 Amigatec OFFLINE  

Amigatec

Collector of Rusty Junk

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5899
  • 2,023 Thanks
  • 3,172 posts

Posted December 28, 2011 - 05:30 PM

The VR should be mounted next to the battery. Does it have a S/G or a gear drive starter? There are at least 3 different V/R that can be used.

#4 Jkrogers OFFLINE  

Jkrogers

• 9 Thanks
  • 65 posts

Posted December 28, 2011 - 07:16 PM

Amigatec,

The v/r is mounted next to the battery. It is supposed to be a s/g system and as I understand the system power from the battery engages the s/g and once the engine starts the s/g then generates power back to the battery. What I have in addition is a rectifier-regulator bolted to the blower housing on the same side as the s/g. It would be attached to a stator on the flywheel and supply power back to the battery in the absence of the s/g. I think the rectifier is a po modification. It would explain the wrong blower housing on the engine.

#5 ducky ONLINE  

ducky

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 1,623 Thanks
  • 3,861 posts

Posted December 28, 2011 - 07:23 PM

I take it you do not have a S/G on the unit now?

#6 ducky ONLINE  

ducky

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 1,623 Thanks
  • 3,861 posts

Posted December 28, 2011 - 07:29 PM

If you answer the above question YES , the 800 - 1650 is the diagram that will help you.
  • Jkrogers said thank you

#7 Jkrogers OFFLINE  

Jkrogers

• 9 Thanks
  • 65 posts

Posted December 28, 2011 - 08:29 PM

I take it you do not have a S/G on the unit now?

Correct it does not have one on it now. I have one ordered that should be here tomorrow. The guy I bought it from gave me an old, worn out car generator he said had been on it. If I want to put it back the way it originally was, then it should not have to rectifier regulator on it. Correct?

#8 Amigatec OFFLINE  

Amigatec

Collector of Rusty Junk

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5899
  • 2,023 Thanks
  • 3,172 posts

Posted December 28, 2011 - 08:38 PM

The 800-1650 Cubs used an alt and gear drive starter. The 1X8/9 Cubs used an S/G. The S/G Cubs also had start relay under the dash, I don't believe the gear drive starters use them. Do you pictures of the setup?

Also the S/G on the Cubs spins CCW because it's on the PTO end. Most spin CW because they are on the flywheel end.

#9 Jkrogers OFFLINE  

Jkrogers

• 9 Thanks
  • 65 posts

Posted December 28, 2011 - 08:45 PM

It does not have a gear drive starter. I will put some pictures up. It may be tomorrow.

#10 ducky ONLINE  

ducky

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 1,623 Thanks
  • 3,861 posts

Posted December 28, 2011 - 08:52 PM

Correct it does not have one on it now. I have one ordered that should be here tomorrow. The guy I bought it from gave me an old, worn out car generator he said had been on it. If I want to put it back the way it originally was, then it should not have to rectifier regulator on it. Correct?

Ok then you will abundant the rectifier and go back to the 129 schematic when you install the S/G. It was a widely used system year ago and is rather easy to rewire. You will need the correct regulator for a S/G system for it to work.
This schematic will help.
Color108WireDia.jpg

#11 Jkrogers OFFLINE  

Jkrogers

• 9 Thanks
  • 65 posts

Posted December 28, 2011 - 09:27 PM

rect 2.jpg I went to the garage and took a few pictures of the setup. One picture of the volatage regulator in the battery box. Two pictures of the rectifier-regulator mounted on the blower housing. The mounting bracket for the s/g can be seen in one of the pictures. To go to the s/g system I think I need to pull the rectifier and replace the blower housing. Will I need a new flywheel or just go with what I have and block off the leads?

Attached Thumbnails

• vr.jpg
  • rect.jpg

#12 ducky ONLINE  

ducky

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 1,623 Thanks
  • 3,861 posts

Posted December 28, 2011 - 09:44 PM

It looks like you have the S/G regulator there. Will have to see if it is still functional. You can just isolate the 2 lead coming out of the engine stator and remove the Rectifier. You may want to consider pulling the flywheel and removing the charging coil as a final fix once you have the S/G working as it should. I say this just as a safety measure so you do not get a short in those wire down the road a cause a fire. there is a 28+ ac voltage potential across those two wires and as we all know SH happens.

#13 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,421 Thanks
  • 39,670 posts

Posted December 29, 2011 - 06:27 AM

Just out of curiosity, what engine is in this 129? Does it have the Cub style PTO on it? You will need the 'basket' for it to run the S/G. Having a charging system under the flywheel sounds like the engine has been replaced. Does the flywheel have teeth on it for a starter? If so,and this is the original style shroud, it may not fit over it.
Ducky, thanks for posting the Cub wiring over here, I was about to do that.

#14 Jkrogers OFFLINE  

Jkrogers

• 9 Thanks
  • 65 posts

Posted December 29, 2011 - 09:27 AM

It has the k301 engine. I plan to put it back to the starter generator setup. The starter generator and basket pulley should be here today. The po had it hooked up to an old car generator. I hope to pull the flywheel housing and take a look at the flywheel today. The color of the housing is black and I think it should be yellow for the year. In previous post there are pictures of the pto set up the po had. None of the pto parts that came with the tractor were original cub.

#15 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,421 Thanks
  • 39,670 posts

Posted December 29, 2011 - 12:56 PM

Upon turning the screen on it's side and looking at the pics in post 11, I can see the shroud and flywheel. Now I 'see' what you have.