DH1

Electric Tractors

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62
  • 4,585 Thanks
  • 5,295 posts

Posted December 27, 2011 - 11:43 PM

Got our first snow tonight 2" of heavy wet stuff and with came a power outage, being off for couple hrs now, so I fired up the small generator and plugged in a couple of electric heaters.

#2 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,206 Thanks
  • 28,581 posts

Posted December 28, 2011 - 12:04 AM

Hope the juice comes back on soon for you. Being without power can be a real pain in the rump.
No heat, can't see to navigate or find out what you just stubbed you toe on...
You don't have any tractors that are afraid of the dark, do you?

Good luck tonight.

#3 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,344 Thanks
  • 39,622 posts

Posted December 28, 2011 - 04:53 AM

That's a little to play in. Hope the power is restored by now. Did you put an extra blanket on the tractors.

#4 IamSherwood OFFLINE  

IamSherwood

Elf guardian

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2066
  • 8,379 Thanks
  • 7,696 posts

Posted December 28, 2011 - 07:05 AM

Hmm. Must still be without?

#5 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 28,344 Thanks
  • 39,622 posts

Posted December 28, 2011 - 08:40 AM

Looking that way, Will. That is something I truly hate, losing electric power. Since they ran ours underground we have not had to deal with that.

#6 daytime dave OFFLINE  

daytime dave

Live long and prosper

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 531
  • 4,485 Thanks
  • 6,353 posts

Posted December 28, 2011 - 08:49 AM

Hope your power is back on soon. Stay warm.

#7 HDWildBill OFFLINE  

HDWildBill

Freedom is not Free. Thank those in uniform for your freedom.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6354
  • 8,697 Thanks
  • 8,555 posts

Posted December 28, 2011 - 10:39 AM

He probably can't get back on line because of the electric blankets on the tractor's. :bigrofl:

Hopefully he will have power soon.

#8 DH1 OFFLINE  

DH1

Electric Tractors

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 4,585 Thanks
  • 5,295 posts

Posted December 28, 2011 - 04:58 PM

Power is back on was only off for about 3, 3 1/2 hrs, today I notice a section of road around the corner is closed down, with the winds we had plus the heavy wet snow most likely a tree fell down on something.
When the Hydro goes out you don't know how long it will be before it comes back on, that's why I got a generator.

#9 Lauber1 OFFLINE  

Lauber1

DB restorer

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 4926
  • 3,440 Thanks
  • 2,796 posts

Posted December 29, 2011 - 02:26 AM

yep thats why i have two gensets and my corn furance will run on an invertor for 12 hrs, by its self.In the last decade the power companies here aint been to great at timely restoring the grid. We have went twice without for four or more days, last time it was in the winter, so we got the gen's, for peace of mind. On the good part, i did make mac&cheese with salmon on the charcoal grill, so it was a learning curve thing.

#10 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 28,344 Thanks
  • 39,622 posts

Posted December 29, 2011 - 04:52 AM

Glad your back with us Doug! Hope they have the road cleared.

#11 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted December 29, 2011 - 07:47 AM

Thats not too bad, 3hrs or so. The worse part is if you can't get an estimate of when it will be back on. Here in N.S. the utility regulators forced our power utility to provide better info during outages. You can call a specific number for your area and get an estimated time. We've had several outages of 4 days or more over the years. No fun at all with us being on a well. I finally found a decently priced used 7kw PTO generator for the 2320 and that is a blessing. It hardly blips the governor on the diesel when the water pump starts. Some sort of backup is a must. We have a wood fireplace insert that can heat the whole house so that's not an issue.

#12 IamSherwood OFFLINE  

IamSherwood

Elf guardian

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2066
  • 8,379 Thanks
  • 7,696 posts

Posted December 29, 2011 - 08:13 AM

Thats not too bad, 3hrs or so. The worse part is if you can't get an estimate of when it will be back on. Here in N.S. the utility regulators forced our power utility to provide better info during outages. You can call a specific number for your area and get an estimated time. We've had several outages of 4 days or more over the years. No fun at all with us being on a well. I finally found a decently priced used 7kw PTO generator for the 2320 and that is a blessing. It hardly blips the governor on the diesel when the water pump starts. Some sort of backup is a must. We have a wood fireplace insert that can heat the whole house so that's not an issue.

We have a similiar estimator system here in Ont too, but by the time you're done pushing buttons on the phone, the power is back.

#13 DH1 OFFLINE  

DH1

Electric Tractors

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 4,585 Thanks
  • 5,295 posts

Posted December 29, 2011 - 10:34 PM

Hydro around my parts is pretty reliable and when it goes off it's usually 10 min, to 1hr before it goes back on.
One thing I always wanted to do but never did was to put a Twist lock Plug on the Hydro line that feeds the oil furnace in the house, and make up a cord to go from the generator to that plug. This way when the Hydro goes off I unplug the furnace then plug it into the generator and I got heat.

I also have a battery inverter backup supply, 4 golf cart batteries and a 1750 watt inverter set up in the laundry room. This has run 3 loads of laundry though the washing machine on full charge no problem, might do 1 more load???
I try to use this once a week, then recharge the batteries just to exercise them a bit so there not just sitting around.
backup power 002..jpg

Plus a smaller one, portable, single battery with 1000 watt inverter and small trickle charger.
No where near as strong as the other but good enough to keep the computer and a couple compact florescent lights going for a few hrs.
backup power 001..jpg

#14 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,206 Thanks
  • 28,581 posts

Posted December 29, 2011 - 10:40 PM

We have a similiar estimator system here in Ont too, but by the time you're done pushing buttons on the phone, the power is back.

Optimist

Hydro around my parts is pretty reliable and when it goes off it's usually 10 min, to 1hr before it goes back on.
One thing I always wanted to do but never did was to put a Twist lock Plug on the Hydro line that feeds the oil furnace in the house, and make up a cord to go from the generator to that plug. This way when the Hydro goes off I unplug the furnace then plug it into the generator and I got heat.

I also have a battery inverter backup supply, 4 golf cart batteries and a 1750 watt inverter set up in the laundry room.

Plus a smaller one, portable, single battery with 1000 watt inverter and small trickle charger.
No where near as strong as the other but good enough to keep the computer and a couple compact florescent lights going for a few hrs.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]27301[/ATTACH]

Good to be prepared, our power is really quite stable here, gotta be a bad one for more than an hour.

About two years ago, we had a 3 day outage. Thru a little planning and the family generator going door to door, it wasn't too bad. Good thing I hadn't found GTT yet, I'd have been twitching...

#15 kb0nly OFFLINE  

kb0nly

• Contributor
  • Member No: 7469
  • 18 Thanks
  • 63 posts

Posted December 29, 2011 - 11:46 PM

I had three days of no commercial power in July, when we had the tornado rip through. I ran the generator most of that time with a few hours each morning off to check fuel and oil and give it a rest. Just a 6500w unit but has served me well. Thankfully i had it in place for a couple years before i really needed it that bad!