• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 mmaynard OFFLINE  

mmaynard

• Member No: 7947
  • 0 Thanks
  • 1 posts

Posted December 27, 2011 - 08:33 PM

I am new to the GTT. I have 1965-1966 penzer that im trying to restore it has a blue on it and would like it back to that same blue color that i first was when my father had it, i just need the original paint color name and where to find it. If any one has information on it that would be helpful that would be great...

#2 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,313 Thanks
  • 28,632 posts

Posted December 27, 2011 - 09:23 PM

:welcome: mmaynard, to GTTalk.

We have a couple of Panzar folks here & I'm sure one of them will have some info for you.

By the way, I moved your post to it's own thread, it may have gotten lost on the end of an older one.

#3 cookiemonster OFFLINE  

cookiemonster

Village Idiot

• Member No: 6338
  • 406 Thanks
  • 1,274 posts

Posted December 28, 2011 - 07:26 AM

Oh my, what timing. I was just painting the notorious "tantalizing turquois" yesterday and can still see some of it on my fingers as I type.
Actually, I have the paint numbers saved in my cell phone so I never lose them. Sherwin Williams 45277-0. There are some old posts about a krylon shaker can color, but they don't make it any longer. I haven't seen a good match in shaker can lately. They can always make a spray can at some auto stores for it, but you'll only have the day to spray it.
I was just going to put a couple of pictures of the paint on my thread at http://gardentractor...read-2-a-11275/

Good luck

#4 1978murray OFFLINE  

1978murray

diesel mechanic

• Member No: 2523
  • 598 Thanks
  • 1,163 posts

Posted December 28, 2011 - 11:13 AM

Welcome to the forum! Its good to see another panzer guy on here. By the way could u post some pics of ur panzer. Thanks

#5 Petenpole OFFLINE  

Petenpole

• Contributor
  • Member No: 70
  • 145 Thanks
  • 149 posts

Posted January 15, 2012 - 08:14 AM

To answer this question with all fairness I will offer my experiences.

First of all I had my paint mixed here in Independence Missouri at ACE (Automotive Color & Equipment ) on 23rd street Independence Missouri. The problem is compliments of our governmemt you cannot get pre mixed paint shipped as easily as a few years ago. So here is what I did.

I wanted Naasons paint ( for durability) and took an old panel from the tractor into them. They used a camera and were able to use the photo they took and analyze it with their computer and make a formula that resulted in a damn close match. They then fine tuned ther formula to a perfect match.

I then bought enough paint, activator and thinner for 2 tractoprs and this was 2 years ago and paid right at $800.00. Was it worth it? I think so as they are still shining, and look wonderful. Is the paint match perfect? It is in my eyes, as there isnt any of the paint left and who is to say mine isnt the exact color.

So the moral of the story ; Dont look for a pre mixed paint. Take the hood, fender, tool box, battery tray anything with a good sample of the paint to a quality paint store and ask them to study it and mix what you need. Just be prepared to pay them for the quality paint and their time. The end result for quality paint will be well worth it.

PS: I am about to buy another 2 quarts for Panzer #3

#6 jpackard56 OFFLINE  

jpackard56

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7225
  • 1,768 Thanks
  • 1,407 posts

Posted January 16, 2012 - 06:23 AM

Photos+photos+photos...Please share photos...
I've only seen FrankenPanzer and "His-n-Hers" finished in color.
1978Murry is just starting his project, so it will be awhile.
I've had yellow fever, red fever, and I'm afraid now its "tantalizing turquoise" gotta see more...

#7 Petenpole OFFLINE  

Petenpole

• Contributor
  • Member No: 70
  • 145 Thanks
  • 149 posts

Posted January 16, 2012 - 07:57 AM

http://gardentractor...2-img_1826-jpg/http://gardentractor...4-img_1824-jpg/

It took me a while to find the pictures here in the website but here are the first 2 completed. And yes I know I have one tire on backwards. It was rectified immediately

The story is in the following link

Garden Tractor Talk - Two Pennsylvania Panzers Restored and Finished

#8 Clint ONLINE  

Clint

• Member No: 8265
  • 412 Thanks
  • 295 posts

Posted January 16, 2012 - 03:47 PM

Hi everyone. I'm brand new to the site. I just signed up a few minutes ago. My dad has a red Pennsylvania Panzer and I have since gone out and collected four turquise Pennsylvania Panzers. I know from the threads everyone likes pictures, so as soon as it gets warm and I can dig them all out, I will post them. I read this thread and then called a Sherwin Williams store and they said the 45277 was not an existing paint code color. He said I would have to bring a part up with good paint so he can scan it and then mix it for me. I joked and said, "If there was good paint, I wouldn't be calling you." He didn't find that very funny. Is there a different part number, paint code or name this paint is hiding under. I called Jim at Dandy Sales. He said Napa has a rattle can available. I called Napa. Part # DE1643 is $5.69 for a 12 oz spray can. It is manufactured by Duplicolor. Anyway, I would rather buy it in a quart or gallon size if it is available from Sherwin Williams. Any help would be great. Thanks. I'm looking forward to getting to know everyone.

#9 tractormike OFFLINE  

tractormike

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 119
  • 162 Thanks
  • 1,488 posts

Posted January 16, 2012 - 08:16 PM

First off :welcome:to the forum Clint! Glad you found us here and joined in. I think you will like the friendly tractor nuts who call this home. As to the Panzer paint color see if the paint store can look it up by the name " tantilizing torquois " I beleive it is the same or very close to the 57 chevy torquois color. I painted my first restored Panzer with a Krylon teal colored paint in a spray can but that paint was discontinued around 6 or 7 years ago. The paint I had mixed up for my second Panzer I got from NAPA using Sherwin Williams number 45277 in an acrylic enamel. I hope this info helps you out.
Once again glad to have you aboard.

#10 cookiemonster OFFLINE  

cookiemonster

Village Idiot

• Member No: 6338
  • 406 Thanks
  • 1,274 posts

Posted January 17, 2012 - 08:53 AM

Yes, they may want to look up by name. Our Sherwin Williams dealer - make sure it's for Auto Paint got a hit on the number. If your local guy strikes out, have them call this place (another SW dealer) for help.
Auto Plus Auto Parts

(724) 733-1060
1825 Golden Mile Hwy
Plum, PA 15239

#11 Delmar OFFLINE  

Delmar
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5039
  • 2,323 Thanks
  • 2,416 posts

Posted January 17, 2012 - 09:35 AM

Hello and welcome to GTt Clint! The turquoise blue panzers are kinda cool. I look foward to seeing photos of all your Panzers! My t75 runs great, and will have a restore done to it one day.

Happy tractoring!

#12 Clint ONLINE  

Clint

• Member No: 8265
  • 412 Thanks
  • 295 posts

Posted January 23, 2012 - 03:38 AM

Hi again everyone. I called a different Sherwin Williams store, apparently there are separate stores between Sherwin Williams Automotive and Home paint. so thanks for the help and I am still working on those pictures. I am trying to dig out dad's without him noticing and get it running again. Kind of a Birthday surprise. He said he had it rebuilt about 10 or 15 years ago and used it very little since. He said they went oversize on the rebuild and actually had it "Blueprinted" and balanced. he said it took about a year to reassemble it and after that the carb gummed up and he never did much to it. I am wanting to do a "Tug of war" picture between his and mine.

#13 mjodrey OFFLINE  

mjodrey

Accumulator

• Contributor
  • Member No: 92
  • 2,343 Thanks
  • 13,481 posts

Posted January 23, 2012 - 05:24 AM

mmaynard,welcome to the forum.Glad to have you with us.
That's quite a name you've got there.:D

Notice my name in my signature.

#14 mjodrey OFFLINE  

mjodrey

Accumulator

• Contributor
  • Member No: 92
  • 2,343 Thanks
  • 13,481 posts

Posted January 23, 2012 - 05:26 AM

Clint,welcome to the forum.Glad to have you with us.

#15 DirtyContacts OFFLINE  

DirtyContacts
  • Member No: 41360
  • 15 Thanks
  • 79 posts

Posted February 26, 2012 - 07:57 PM

I know that this is an older thread but I'm using Dupont Spectramaster Green its almost the same color as the Sherwin Williams tantalizing Turquoise.