33 replies to this topic

#31 TUDOR OFFLINE  

TUDOR

Tractorholic

• Member No: 915
  • 544 Thanks
  • 497 posts

Posted January 03, 2012 - 03:02 AM

Now I find that the long span of the scrimpy 2 x 4 rafters in the pole barn will not bear the weight and I need to stop by the lumber yard to pick up a couple of 10' 4 x 4's to shore up the rafters on either side of the tractor while I do the hoisting.
JN

Lay one of the 4x4's across 4 rafters and lift from it. That will spread the load rather than constantly dodging the shoring posts.

Is it rafters you have, or trusses?

#32 Boss 448 OFFLINE  

Boss 448

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 1724
  • 48 Thanks
  • 248 posts

Posted January 03, 2012 - 10:12 AM

Is it rafters you have, or trusses?

Good point. They are 2 x 4 trusses that span a very wide area so even if I stiffen them with another board the load in the middle really stresses them. I could move towards a side where the leverage of the weight would not be so bad but then I would not be able to work around it.

I have had problems in the past when there is heavy snow on the roof the trusses sag down low enough to keep the overhead door from opening - they block it from traveling back under the trusses on the tracks. I have to shore up the trusses when that happens also. It is not the best built pole barn in the world. The PO built it and he was not what you would accuse of being a skilled builder.

I did pick up the lumber but failed to get the engine pulled this weekend due to issues with my CUT not starting and I had to work on Monday. The CUT starting problem is in the stupid safety switches and I got it running by totally bypassing them. I think I will install a separate starter button and be done with the safety junk. It did start again later without by-passing the safety circuit so the problem is intermittent and would be a real pain to hunt down. I don't have time to piddle with it, I just want a tractor that will start reliably when I need it to.

JN

#33 Cvans ONLINE  

Cvans

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5412
  • 5,774 Thanks
  • 5,734 posts

Posted January 03, 2012 - 08:11 PM

Safety switches, How in the world did we ever survive without them 30 years ago. I guess none of us realized how close to death we were.
One thing I've done on my trusses when I need more overhead strength is to run a vertical 2x4 from the peak down to the bottom of the truss. This is nailed
to the side of the truss. Then lay your 4x4 along side it when going from one truss to the next. Seems to make a big difference

#34 Boss 448 OFFLINE  

Boss 448

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 1724
  • 48 Thanks
  • 248 posts

Posted January 04, 2012 - 09:44 AM

Chris,

Thank you for the suggestion. I did try reinforcing the trusses several ways with mixed results. The darn things are simply under-engineered. While reinforcing the trusses does help some with the snow loads I think that shoring them up under localized loads (such as hoisting an engine) is the most direct and effective solution.

Of course all this is a moot point until I can get an opportunity to get back at it. Hopefully this weekend will provide some time for that. I'm really chomping on the bit to get the shiny red Chindie engine sitting in the tractor. At that point I can start to seriously visualize what and how the project will proceed.

Hint: there will be no safety switches involved in my dieselized Case when it is completed. But then I don't text and drive either. Common sense and a good understanding of what one is doing on the part of the operator are the most important safety features there available for any equipment.

JN