#16 Cvans OFFLINE  

Cvans

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5412
  • 4,507 Thanks
  • 5,025 posts

Posted December 28, 2011 - 09:47 AM

Sounds like my typing class the teacher was cute!!!!

Mine too. 88 years old and the figure of a wet sack of cement. :puke2:

#17 Boss 448 OFFLINE  

Boss 448

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 1724
  • 48 Thanks
  • 248 posts

Posted December 28, 2011 - 11:24 AM

Wow. There are more people watching this thread than one realizes. That's a good thing!

Actually, I agree with much of what you are all saying. There are some very valid points raised. I try to watch my spelling, grammar and punctuation as much as possible. I don't like an over abundance of abbreviations either. And I certainly am not one to Twitter cryptic abbreviations and symbols all day, either.

I especially agree with Amigetac - "It's like when somebody says they a GT16 or a 1050 I have to stop and look at which forum they are in before I know what brand tractor they are talking about." I too have encountered that issue. For that reason I think that any abbreviation or term should be self-explanatory with only a minimal amount of thought. Oldcowhand also makes a very valid point regarding interpreter software.

That said, I will defend the term dieselize since it is rather self explanatory and is a far sight shorter than saying 'installing a diesel engine in my garden tractor' or 're-power a GT using a diesel engine'.

I also want to defend the term Chindie since the China engines are a commoditzed item distributed under a wide variety of brand names. In discussions here the make or style of engine or tractor is relevant to the particular project and just about everyone uses abbreviations such as JD for John Deere, CAT for Caterpillar, MF for Massey Ferguson (be careful with that one), WH for Wheel Horse, etc. So is it unreasonable to abbreviate China diesel as Chindie?

After more thought I do think that the WCDiesel and ACDiesel to indicate the method of cooling is a bit too far out there and I wish to retract them from the list. LOL (whoops - I meant Laughing Out Loud - sorry). BTW (by the way), there really is no official list of abbreviations here and in retrospect I was wrong to suggest there should be. I think if I were to just start using the terms dieselize and Chindie that you guys are smart enough to get it and you'll have a hard time convincing me otherwise!

So now that we all have spent way too much time discussing terms and abbreviations it's time to get back to the pole barn and dieselizing our GTs. I for one am way behind where I had hoped to be on my Case 224 / Chindie project by now. I hope I can get it done before spring and that it will be worthy of posting here for everyone to see.

BTW - I hope everyone had a very happy Christmas (I refuse to use the term Xmas) and that you are all planning a very happy and safe New Year! May 2012 bring everyone plenty of black smoke and the sound of a happy diesel engine knocking away under the hood of your favorite GT!

JN

#18 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,466 Thanks
  • 39,701 posts

Posted December 28, 2011 - 01:10 PM

Well put, JN! I think I started this off wrong as I thought you meant going with the 'Facebook' style of typing. That I cannot understand at times. Though some of your terms may be hard for interpreting, most of us will get what you mean. Those that don't will hopefully ask. I think from the outpouring of posts we have an idea of what members think about those 'other' forums.

#19 JD DANNELS OFFLINE  

JD DANNELS

Tractorholic

• Member No: 2011
  • 3,786 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted December 28, 2011 - 01:18 PM

Now there are some memoirs. A young farm boy in typing class. What? A young blond haired teach! Man we fought to get in that class. Today I wish I would have listened instead of looking.

Young Teacher? Not my Typing class, about a week into the class in 9th grade, the old Bat threw me out. "Said I was so uncordinated I would never learn to type". Who'd have guessed I would make my living at a computer keyboard 46 yrs later?

#20 Boss 448 OFFLINE  

Boss 448

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • 48 Thanks
  • 248 posts

Posted December 28, 2011 - 01:57 PM

I agree Kenny. I'll take abbreviations and terms any day over the stupid icons that are part of the graphic interfaces we all have to suffer on computers and electronic devices these days! Trying to make sense of all these dumb icons is like trying to decipher drawings on cave walls. What does it mean if I click on the icon showing a man throwing a spear at a running buffalo? What do all of those unrecognizable pictures on our cell phones do? Mankind has spent over two thousand years developing written languages consisting of strings of words that can convey complex ideas simply and eloquently. Fast forward to Microsoft Windows and all of the other graphic interfaces in use today and we now have to struggle trying to understand 'electronic cave drawings'. To make matters worse manufacturers and programers make the icons on device buttons and in software so small that you need a microscope to see them - much less understand them.

Give me the good old days of text based menus when a couple of words explained every choice on a menu and indicated precisely what would happen if or when you pressed enter or clicked on it. Give me a cell phone that actually works well as a phone without dropping calls in the rural area where I live. Give me a computer program that is intuitive and understandable without thinking like a caveman, and yes, please don't bother me with Twitter trash either!

I work on a computer almost all day at the office. Still, I refuse to participate in this new world where for many people the only means of communication is broadcasting cryptic electronic tweets. Without their cell phones I think the only way to communicate with many people appears to be grabbing a sharpened crayon and drawing pictures. Old farts like myself may not be electronic gadget wiz's but I seriously doubt that a lot of young people today are capable of conceptualizing and writing whole ideas like we do routinely on this forum. Sad.... and true.

JN
  • MH81 and GTTinkerer have said thanks

#21 Lovintractorin OFFLINE  

Lovintractorin

Tinkerer

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 4180
  • 159 Thanks
  • 603 posts

Posted December 28, 2011 - 03:07 PM

I agree with what is being said and think dieselize is a great abbreviation and even the other ones: WC diesel, AC Diesel, Btw, LOL have their place. I just get tired of too many abbreviations and hope this forum doesn't get carried away with them as some other places. I think politeness comes out in text as taking an effort to spell things right and use punctuation as well as you know how.(am not that great at it myself ) but the effort is what counts in my eyes. I think moderation with abbreviations is best because I use them at times.

I hate the little 'cave drawing' language that is used now. Especially assembly instructions with a new product. I do great when I have text and pictures but for me I'd rather have just text than these picture manuals.

#22 Boss 448 OFFLINE  

Boss 448

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • 48 Thanks
  • 248 posts

Posted December 28, 2011 - 04:02 PM

Especially assembly instructions with a new product.

With all of the great computer tools (CAD, DRAW, Illustrator and Photoshop) available these days as well as easy-to-use printers and services for printing it is disgusting how poor many sets of instructions and manuals are today. This is especially true of products manufactured in China and other Asian countries, but then I have seen very poor printed materials accompany American made products also. Not only are the drawings and sketches junk but the language is so poor that it is often impossible to follow.

I will say that the owner/operator manual for my 10 HP Chindie diesel engine is a prime example of lousy documentation. There are a lot of unanswered questions that I will have to address before I am ready to fire it up for the first time. I searched the Internet to see if I could find more or better information and have not been able to find any. In some respects you could say that I am getting what I paid for in this instance. Of course one could find themselves in a similar situation with a used engine that came with no documentation. The good news in this case is that this website is populated with very intelligent and experienced participants that are very happy and willing to share their knowledge. You can be sure I will be tapping this resource for more information as I get close to firing up my project!

JN

#23 skyrydr2 ONLINE  

skyrydr2

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5032
  • 3,417 Thanks
  • 3,164 posts

Posted December 29, 2011 - 05:32 AM

Now with all that exercised ,your fingers should be all tuned up to get that Chindie installed and a video so we have something better to look at than text .:bigrofl::poke::camera:

#24 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,466 Thanks
  • 39,701 posts

Posted December 29, 2011 - 05:43 AM

Now with all that exercised ,your fingers should be all tuned up to get that Chindie installed and a video so we have something better to look at than text .:bigrofl::poke::camera:

:ditto::yeah_that::iagree:

#25 cookiemonster OFFLINE  

cookiemonster

Village Idiot

• Member No: 6338
  • 406 Thanks
  • 1,274 posts

Posted December 29, 2011 - 08:50 AM

Sounds like my typing class the teacher was cute!!!!

Dang, that's the same reason I took 3 years of French class. Now, I couldn't even ask for directions to the bathroom in French if I had to.
There's one abbreviation that I need clarified. WTF.... That's "WinterTime Fun" right?

#26 Boss 448 OFFLINE  

Boss 448

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • 48 Thanks
  • 248 posts

Posted December 29, 2011 - 09:36 AM

Now with all that exercised ,your fingers should be all tuned up to get that Chindie installed and a video so we have something better to look at than text .

Man, now you guys are getting tough on me. I followed Chris' excellent advice in a previous thread and acquired a small winch at Harbor Freight for lifting and fitting the engines. Now I find that the long span of the scrimpy 2 x 4 rafters in the pole barn will not bear the weight and I need to stop by the lumber yard to pick up a couple of 10' 4 x 4's to shore up the rafters on either side of the tractor while I do the hoisting. Hope to get the old engine pulled this weekend and then I plan to load the tractor into my trailer and take it to the car wash for a good degrease before continuing. If I had the time, talent and initiative that some of you guys display I would also strip it, blast it and repaint it, but I don't. Hopefully it will be sporting a shiny new diesel this spring but it will still look like a 25 year old tractor.

There's one abbreviation that I need clarified. WTF.... That's "WinterTime Fun" right?

Gee, what else would it stand for?

JN

#27 Cvans OFFLINE  

Cvans

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 4,507 Thanks
  • 5,025 posts

Posted December 29, 2011 - 05:43 PM

Boss it sounds like your on a roll. Can't wait to see the finished product.

#28 Boss 448 OFFLINE  

Boss 448

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • 48 Thanks
  • 248 posts

Posted December 30, 2011 - 10:45 AM

sounds like your on a roll

I don't know if we can label it as on a roll yet, but at least the recipient tractor and donor engine are in the pole barn. I hope to get some progress on it this weekend.

It amazes me how much and how quickly some of the projects on this forum come together. Some of the craftsmen here raise their dieselizing projects to works of art. On the other end of the spectrum I will be glad if and when my starts and runs.

JN

#29 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,650 Thanks
  • 29,840 posts

Posted December 30, 2011 - 11:03 AM

I just wish I could find ANY time for my diesel projects. Time has been an extreme premium here for a while now. May not get any better until bad weather sets in, then that brings special problems to deal with too. You'll get to yours JN, and I look forward to progress pics!

#30 Cvans OFFLINE  

Cvans

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 4,507 Thanks
  • 5,025 posts

Posted December 30, 2011 - 01:16 PM

I will be glad if and when my starts and runs.

Not if! Just keep a positive attitude and it Will run.
Good luck.