Bob's Lawn and Garden Tractors

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 945
  • 1,413 Thanks
  • 2,117 posts

Posted December 28, 2011 - 10:40 PM

Nice looking old ford.We have a 49 here that we use alot.Best thing about them is parts can be found easily.Has that one been converted to 12 volt or is it still 6 volt?

#32 skyrydr2 ONLINE  

skyrydr2

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5032
  • 3,418 Thanks
  • 3,164 posts

Posted December 29, 2011 - 05:47 AM

The one with the Sherman got all the use because it worked so good, I would have taken that one even if it needed a complete restore, personally . I have an 8n with out it, and a 9 that has it, the 8 never gets used , and here in New England , you need those extra gears. And that reverse, what was Ford thinking..... It's dang near impossible to back a hay wagon with one. We just use it when we need an extra hay rake in the field.

For mowing with a finish mower like you have on it, though it will work awsome, as it turns fast and tight and has plenty of power to mow.

#33 bread320i OFFLINE  

bread320i
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 416
  • 593 Thanks
  • 1,220 posts

Posted December 29, 2011 - 08:41 AM

The first tractor we looked at had the Sherman and I was quite interested in it, but wanted to keep looking. We looked at another with a loader and still went home empty. On our way home I saw a few Fords in back of an equipment dealer and one of the three cought our eyes. The turfs front and rear and the woods belly mower were the major points, plus the older restoration still looks good. But were not going to be afarid to use it. While driving it around the yard, I told Michelle that this probably wont be our only "big" tractor. So when the time is right im sure well look for another.

#34 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,650 Thanks
  • 29,840 posts

Posted December 29, 2011 - 05:22 PM

Those tractors had an option that was availible called " the Sherman step up and down" it was a 3 speed in front of the main transmission and is the cats meow ! It makes the 2,9,and 8's what they were not ! Absolutely AWSOME!

Quite interesting reading on the Sherman trannies, & other makes: Sherman Transmissions

#35 Amigatec OFFLINE  

Amigatec

Collector of Rusty Junk

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5899
  • 2,023 Thanks
  • 3,172 posts

Posted December 29, 2011 - 05:39 PM

Here is a Woods Belly Mower under a Cub LoBoy. The pulley has the overrunning clutch built-in. You might check the center pulley on your mower to see if it has one.

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_0171.jpg
  • IMG_0172.jpg

#36 Goltz OFFLINE  

Goltz
  • Member No: 8860
  • 2 Thanks
  • 11 posts

Posted March 16, 2012 - 01:35 PM

cool!