12 replies to this topic

#1 redcarkids OFFLINE  

redcarkids

Tractorholic

• Member No: 7555
  • 242 Thanks
  • 464 posts

Posted December 27, 2011 - 02:28 PM

Well the 900 got new drive belts today and a new drive idler pulley:smile1:. I put new fluid in the rear end and backed her out of the shop. I have 6 gears forward plus reverse. Wow the price just went up again on this old beast. :bounce:I want to thank Bolens 1000 for his message board on how to change the drive belts:worshippy1:I was lucky enough that i did not have to take any engine bolts out. The manual came in very handy also with its step by step instructions. I have one question for you guys:anyone:. Does the drive idler stay in contact with the belts at all times? The spring pulling it to the belt is strong and actually makes the belt spin constantly. Should there be a locking mechinism on the drive lever to keep it out of the way of the belt when at idle? I can manually more the lever to the left and the idler don't touch the belt thus the belt don't spin, but when i take my hand off the lever it pulls back to the right and thus the idler touches the belt and thus the belt spins. Now in neutral i am not going any where so my question is am i out of adjustment or is this normal for the belt and idler to be working in neutral? :confuse:

#2 OldBuzzard ONLINE  

OldBuzzard

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 805
  • 6,482 Thanks
  • 4,634 posts

Posted December 27, 2011 - 03:39 PM

That would be normal.

There is an actual clutch on most of the gear driven tube frames.
  • redcarkids said thank you

#3 Bolens 1000 ONLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 12,692 Thanks
  • 17,206 posts

Posted December 27, 2011 - 05:14 PM

Yes, it is normal for the belt and idler to be moving at all times when the engine is running. Like oldbuzzard mentioned above, the clutch and brake drum allow you to shift with the belt and pulley still in motion. Are you able to shift without any grinding? If it grinds or takes a while for the driveshaft to stop spinning you will need to make a clutch/brake adjustment.

#4 redcarkids OFFLINE  

redcarkids

Tractorholic

• 242 Thanks
  • 464 posts

Posted December 27, 2011 - 08:13 PM

Yes, it is normal for the belt and idler to be moving at all times when the engine is running. Like oldbuzzard mentioned above, the clutch and brake drum allow you to shift with the belt and pulley still in motion. Are you able to shift without any grinding? If it grinds or takes a while for the driveshaft to stop spinning you will need to make a clutch/brake adjustment.

I did have a little grinding with a couple of gears and it did seem as if i was pushing the clutch pedal down really far. Also I noticed the brake pad looked wore. I feel better about the idler and the belt operation. Seems to be working as you stated. Do you have the steps for a clutch and brake adjustment? My manual did not cover this.

#5 Bolens 1000 ONLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 12,692 Thanks
  • 17,206 posts

Posted December 28, 2011 - 09:38 AM

I did have a little grinding with a couple of gears and it did seem as if i was pushing the clutch pedal down really far. Also I noticed the brake pad looked wore. I feel better about the idler and the belt operation. Seems to be working as you stated. Do you have the steps for a clutch and brake adjustment? My manual did not cover this.

I will have to look if I have any pictures....
I made a video a while back showing the High/Low belt system on a 900
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q3OYzjvT28Y&list=UU9pv41FugOu7_-5yAoM3sAQ&index=10&feature=plcp

#6 Bolens 1000 ONLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 12,692 Thanks
  • 17,206 posts

Posted December 28, 2011 - 09:44 AM

Here's the tubeframe service manual that shows how to adjust the brakes http://gardentractor...-552875-1-1787/ Take a look at pages 80 and 84

If you still are grinding after the asjustment, you will need to replace the brakes as they most likely are worn

#7 redcarkids OFFLINE  

redcarkids

Tractorholic

• 242 Thanks
  • 464 posts

Posted December 28, 2011 - 11:27 PM

Here's the tubeframe service manual that shows how to adjust the brakes Bolens Med Tube Frame Service Manual 552875-1 - Manuals - Garden Tractor Talk - Forums Take a look at pages 80 and 84

If you still are grinding after the asjustment, you will need to replace the brakes as they most likely are worn

I tryed to download the file but i am still on dial up and it may take welll over 2 hours to get it all. :wallbanging:We were not able to get the high speed internet out here in the country where we live:mad2:. Is there any way you can just copy pages 80-84 and post them? :worshippy1: I think part of my problem is the brake pad. it is extremely worn down. i did get under the mower today and look and i do have alot of play in the linkage. How do you replace the brake pad when its ribbited on? drill it out and re ribbit? :confuse: Does Jestin at tubeframe.com carry these or is it a common replacement part?
I also got my tiller cleaned up and installed and the hydro worked fine lifting it and the pto worked as should turning the tines:smile1:. It was a very productive day. Started cleaning the mower deck. The gear box had what looked to be a gray lithium grease in it:confuse:. I stuck a screw driverin and out came this grease all over it? It looks like someone used a grease gun and squirted it in throu the hole, or is this consistancy a warning sign that something is wrong? I am not planning on mowing with the mower but still want the deck looking and operating as it should. A friend of mine said go ahead and put in 90 weight oil in to fill it. Whats your opinion? Nothing like a thousand questions lol. This is what happens when you know it all and I don't.

#8 Bolens 1000 ONLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 12,692 Thanks
  • 17,206 posts

Posted December 29, 2011 - 09:30 AM

I tryed to download the file but i am still on dial up and it may take welll over 2 hours to get it all. :wallbanging:We were not able to get the high speed internet out here in the country where we live:mad2:. Is there any way you can just copy pages 80-84 and post them? :worshippy1:

I will try and get those pages for you

I think part of my problem is the brake pad. it is extremely worn down. i did get under the mower today and look and i do have alot of play in the linkage. How do you replace the brake pad when its ribbited on? drill it out and re ribbit? :confuse: Does Jestin at tubeframe.com carry these or is it a common replacement part?

All you do is drill out the existing rivets and put the new ones on. You can buy them at either sams Bolens or Tubeframes.com. Sams are a bit more expensive but seem to be of better quality in my opinion.

I also got my tiller cleaned up and installed and the hydro worked fine lifting it and the pto worked as should turning the tines:smile1:. It was a very productive day. Started cleaning the mower deck. The gear box had what looked to be a gray lithium grease in it:confuse:. I stuck a screw driverin and out came this grease all over it? It looks like someone used a grease gun and squirted it in throu the hole, or is this consistancy a warning sign that something is wrong? I am not planning on mowing with the mower but still want the deck looking and operating as it should. A friend of mine said go ahead and put in 90 weight oil in to fill it. Whats your opinion?

There's really nothing that can go wrong in these gear boxes, they are quite simple. I have seen a few gearboxes with grease in them as you have described... the only thing I can think of is the previous owner put grease in instead of the #90wt. I would just take the cover off clean it up real good and while your at it inspect the gears/bearings in the gear box.

Nothing like a thousand questions lol. This is what happens when you know it all and I don't.

#9 Bolens 1000 ONLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 12,692 Thanks
  • 17,206 posts

Posted December 29, 2011 - 09:39 AM

Here's some pictures I had showing the brake pads installed and the PTO spring

belts 003.jpg

Attached Thumbnails

• 002 (5).jpg

#10 Bolens 1000 ONLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 12,692 Thanks
  • 17,206 posts

Posted December 29, 2011 - 09:47 AM

Here's the broken down pages showing the brake adjustment:

1.jpg
2.jpg
3.jpg
  • Lovintractorin and redcarkids have said thanks

#11 1967bolens collector OFFLINE  

1967bolens collector

Tractorholic

• Member No: 1920
  • 648 Thanks
  • 1,437 posts

Posted December 29, 2011 - 07:44 PM

We mant pics lol!!!!!!!!!!

#12 Amigatec OFFLINE  

Amigatec

Collector of Rusty Junk

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5899
  • 2,023 Thanks
  • 3,172 posts

Posted December 31, 2011 - 06:02 PM

. The gear box had what looked to be a gray lithium grease in it:confuse:. I stuck a screw driverin and out came this grease all over it? It looks like someone used a grease gun and squirted it in throu the hole, or is this consistancy a warning sign that something is wrong? I am not planning on mowing with the mower but still want the deck looking and operating as it should. A friend of mine said go ahead and put in 90 weight oil in to fill it. Whats your opinion? Nothing like a thousand questions lol. This is what happens when you know it all and I don't.

I have pumped gun grease into gearboxes that have small leaks to help seal them up.

#13 redcarkids OFFLINE  

redcarkids

Tractorholic

• 242 Thanks
  • 464 posts

Posted January 05, 2012 - 07:37 PM

Here's the broken down pages showing the brake adjustment:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]27260[/ATTACH]
[ATTACH=CONFIG]27259[/ATTACH]
[ATTACH=CONFIG]27261[/ATTACH]

I bought a service manual off e-bay this week and it covered all of this. Figured for $15.00 I would use about that much in ink to print the 100 page manual. After looking things over I feel i need to replace the brake pad 1st and go from there. it is really worn down.