markdombroski

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 6157
  • 196 Thanks
  • 432 posts

Posted December 27, 2011 - 08:59 PM

OK, a few questions I have.

When driving the tractor down an incline, the rear end growls. Does this mean that the transaxle/motor gears have trouble? What do you do about this?

Today I did the following:

- Cleaned the points and got tractor in running condition.
- Sandblasted and painted Air cleaner housing.
- Treated Gas and Oil with Marvel Mystery Oil.
- cleaned and rubbed out paint, nice and shiny now.

Next Steps:

- Install new PTO clutch. (It was given to me by seller)
- Fix growl in rear end? Don't know what this entails?
- Replace ignition switch with proper one that includes headlight control.
- Install and repair headlights.
- Lubricate chassis and grease fittings.
- Change Hydraulic fluid.
- Repair mower deck, may need to replace bearings.
- Other?

#17 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,315 Thanks
  • 28,632 posts

Posted December 27, 2011 - 09:08 PM

I have heard about Seafoam but have never used it. I did put a small amount of Marvel Mystery oil in the gas and oil. How do you treat the engine with Seafoam?

Marvel Mystery Oil has been around a long time & my Grandpa swore by it. Put some in the gas tank on his cars, trucks, Mowers, etc as far back as I can remember. It's a good product. I do think that Seafoam and some of the other newer products have a few more solvents in them to combat the Ethanol issues. If I remember the can correctly, 2 oz. To a gallon is the mix.

#18 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,315 Thanks
  • 28,632 posts

Posted December 27, 2011 - 09:10 PM

I know squat about these rear ends, but is it possible the noise will go away with a good fluid change?

:anyone:

I wouldn't trust those points very far. You might want to add replacement to the list.
  • markdombroski said thank you

#19 markdombroski OFFLINE  

markdombroski

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 196 Thanks
  • 432 posts

Posted December 27, 2011 - 10:17 PM

I know squat about these rear ends, but is it possible the noise will go away with a good fluid change?

:anyone:

I wouldn't trust those points very far. You might want to add replacement to the list.

Good call on the points, I will put that on the list.

#20 markdombroski OFFLINE  

markdombroski

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 196 Thanks
  • 432 posts

Posted December 27, 2011 - 10:50 PM

IMAG0987.jpg

Here are some higher resolution pictures. I usually edit and post most of my GTT content from my Android phone, unfortunately the pictures do not upload in high resolution. Also, my phone auto-changes the words I am typing. Many times I have to re-read through the posts and perform edits to correct the incorrect words that my phone inserted. It might help if my fingers were smaller when typing on the phone. Cheers....

Attached Thumbnails

• IMAG0988.jpg
  • IMAG0986.jpg

• Rozwell Ranch said thank you

#21 Delmar OFFLINE  

Delmar
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5039
  • 2,323 Thanks
  • 2,416 posts

Posted December 27, 2011 - 11:00 PM

It might be that it is a little low on fluid in the rear end. weird that it growls going downhill, not up.

Edited by Jimbobbillyray, December 27, 2011 - 11:26 PM.

#22 cp7 OFFLINE  

cp7

• Contributor
  • Member No: 1369
  • 58 Thanks
  • 148 posts

Posted December 27, 2011 - 11:41 PM

The growling in the rear is standard issue and what I get out of what I've read is that it's caused by the motor trying to act as a pump when you let power off it and the rearend is still turning it. Nothing to worry about and they all do it.
The one thing in the rearend that is the weak point is the four bolts that bolt the diff together. They'll break off and then the nut will get under a gear and break the case. $10 worth of bolts and a couple hours will save a lot of headache.

The most important and first thing you should do now that she's running is change the hydraulic oil. Shell Rotella 15w40 is the commonly used oil. There's a grease zerk on the top of the front axle that greases the pivot pin. Most that I've run intostill have the plastic cap on them and have never been touched.

Congrats on getting her running and definitely get those heads covered up.

2.jpg

3.jpg

Attached Thumbnails

• Case hyd oil change.jpg

#23 markdombroski OFFLINE  

markdombroski

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 196 Thanks
  • 432 posts

Posted December 28, 2011 - 01:08 AM

The growling in the rear is standard issue and what I get out of what I've read is that it's caused by the motor trying to act as a pump when you let power off it and the rearend is still turning it. Nothing to worry about and they all do it.
The one thing in the rearend that is the weak point is the four bolts that bolt the diff together. They'll break off and then the nut will get under a gear and break the case. $10 worth of bolts and a couple hours will save a lot of headache.

The most important and first thing you should do now that she's running is change the hydraulic oil. Shell Rotella 15w40 is the commonly used oil. There's a grease zerk on the top of the front axle that greases the pivot pin. Most that I've run intostill have the plastic cap on them and have never been touched.

Congrats on getting her running and definitely get those heads covered up.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]27193[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]27194[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]27195[/ATTACH]

Hi CP7, thank you for your most helpful reply. The diagrams, pictures and maintenance schedule is exactly what I need. I will take a look at the bolt issue and replace them with high strength replacements. Also, the seller gave me a 5 gallon bucket of Case hydraulic fluid. I think I will use this first as it is freely available.

#24 Billygoat OFFLINE  

Billygoat

Tractorholic

• Member No: 2454
  • 76 Thanks
  • 206 posts

Posted December 28, 2011 - 08:29 AM

DO NOT USE HYDRAULIC OIL!!! The hydraulic system uses motor oil, not hydraulic oil. Hydraulic oil will not work properly and will just cause problems. Use 15w-40 as CP7 said. The growling in the transaxle is normal. If you want to change the oil in the transaxle(recommended) you can use 15w-40 in it also. The older manuals said to use 3qts., and the newer manuals call for 1 pint. The transaxles are the same and the company has not explained why the difference. Personally, I split the difference and use 2 qts. in mine. If the tractor has not been run with fluid filled tires or lots of weight added to the rear for snow plowing/blowing, the carrier bolts are most likely not an issue. If you are planning to use the tracor loaded up with weight then by all means, change the bolts. Use a good grade 8 bolt AND grade 8 nut. Hardware from Caterpiller is what's recommended, as they have strict quality control on their hardware.
  • KennyP said thank you

#25 markdombroski OFFLINE  

markdombroski

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 196 Thanks
  • 432 posts

Posted December 28, 2011 - 01:39 PM

DO NOT USE HYDRAULIC OIL!!! The hydraulic system uses motor oil, not hydraulic oil. Hydraulic oil will not work properly and will just cause problems. Use 15w-40 as CP7 said. The growling in the transaxle is normal. If you want to change the oil in the transaxle(recommended) you can use 15w-40 in it also. The older manuals said to use 3qts., and the newer manuals call for 1 pint. The transaxles are the same and the company has not explained why the difference. Personally, I split the difference and use 2 qts. in mine. If the tractor has not been run with fluid filled tires or lots of weight added to the rear for snow plowing/blowing, the carrier bolts are most likely not an issue. If you are planning to use the tracor loaded up with weight then by all means, change the bolts. Use a good grade 8 bolt AND grade 8 nut. Hardware from Caterpiller is what's recommended, as they have strict quality control on their hardware.

IMAG0989.jpg

Thank you BillyGoat for the warning :D This was the fluid that was provided to me by the seller. It states Case IH Hy-Tran specs. I will fully research this to ensure it is correct to use in the tractor. There is a local company named "Tacoma Screw" that carries all specifications of hardware. I will stop by for grade 8 bolts and nuts. Even though I am not doing any heavy use, it probably would be a good idea to upgrade these.

#26 Billygoat OFFLINE  

Billygoat

Tractorholic

• Member No: 2454
  • 76 Thanks
  • 206 posts

Posted December 28, 2011 - 02:30 PM

No need to research the Hy-Tran, that's already been done. It's not the correct thing to use in these tractors. If that's what the PO used, I strongly recommend you change it to 15w-40 motor oil. If not you will be back here wondering why travel speed slows down after the oil gets warm and won't pull it's own weight up a hill. Some guys have already been through this and end up changing pumps, motors and rebuilding the TCV before they suck it up and change the oil to the correct oil. I don't want to seem harsh here, but just trying to save you a bunch of headaches and extra work.

#27 markdombroski OFFLINE  

markdombroski

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 196 Thanks
  • 432 posts

Posted December 28, 2011 - 03:03 PM

No need to research the Hy-Tran, that's already been done. It's not the correct thing to use in these tractors. If that's what the PO used, I strongly recommend you change it to 15w-40 motor oil. If not you will be back here wondering why travel speed slows down after the oil gets warm and won't pull it's own weight up a hill. Some guys have already been through this and end up changing pumps, motors and rebuilding the TCV before they suck it up and change the oil to the correct oil. I don't want to seem harsh here, but just trying to save you a bunch of headaches and extra work.

Again, I really appreciate all of you guys and the feedback you bring to this board. It looks like I need to purchase a big container of Shell Rotella 15w40 oil. - Mark
  • Billygoat said thank you

#28 tinner OFFLINE  

tinner

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 961
  • 502 Thanks
  • 1,561 posts

Posted December 28, 2011 - 04:36 PM

Just a little something to think about. What Billygoat said about the Grade 8 bolts from Caterpiller is no BS. You can find lots of Grade 8 bolts not days that are made in China are aren't worth flip. Take the extra time and pay the extra price and get them from Catepiller. They are USA made and the most dependable you can buy. If it were used in a noncritical location that would be one thing but you don't want one of these to break off inside the gear box or you'll spend a bunch of time and $$$$$$$$$ to repair it.
  • Billygoat said thank you

#29 markdombroski OFFLINE  

markdombroski

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 196 Thanks
  • 432 posts

Posted August 07, 2013 - 01:21 PM

Here are some new pictures of the 446.  I will be taking it to the tractor show this weekend.

Here are the original pictures from the Craigslist Advertisement.  (Poor quality pictures)  The tractor needed a good cleanup and had been under a tarp for may years.

CL1.jpg

CL2.jpg

CL3.jpg

CL4.jpg

Here are some pictures after some clean up.  The tractor is still rough, but I have pressure washed, buffed out the paint,  sandblasted and painted the muffler and other engine parts.

IMAG3113 copy.jpg

IMAG3114 copy.jpg

IMAG3115 copy.jpg

IMAG3116 copy.jpg

IMAG3117 copy.jpg

IMAG3118 copy.jpg

IMAG3120 copy.jpg

IMAG3121 copy.jpg

IMAG3122 copy.jpg

IMAG3123 copy.jpg

IMAG3124 copy.jpg

IMAG3125 copy.jpg

Edited by markdombroski, August 07, 2013 - 01:23 PM.

• olcowhand and Texas Deere and Horse have said thanks

#30 Texas Deere and Horse OFFLINE  

Texas Deere and Horse

RED Wild Hogs, Horses & Deeres

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1435
  • 14,464 Thanks
  • 15,392 posts

Posted August 07, 2013 - 02:00 PM

Boy, That Case cleaned up really nicely. Have fun at the show and take lots of Photos!!

• markdombroski said thank you