• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,513 Thanks
  • 39,734 posts

Posted December 27, 2011 - 07:28 AM

I guess I am rubbing off on Steve (red-headed step-child). He got on Craigslist here and found a Ford R-11 RER for free. We went after it yesterday afternoon. Looks in fair to better shape. Carb is off, needs cleaned for sure along with the gas tank. New fuel line. One valve stem needs replaced, core is broken. We have the battery on slow charge to see if it will come around. He wants to make a racer out of it, we'll see. All decals are on it, buff job may make it look pretty good. I snagged a pic from elsewhere so you could see what it looks like, will get some of it today. Seems to all be there.
jacob_r11_small.jpg
We scouted for manuals last nite, will play with it today.

#2 mjodrey OFFLINE  

mjodrey

Accumulator

• Contributor
  • Member No: 92
  • 2,343 Thanks
  • 13,481 posts

Posted December 27, 2011 - 07:31 AM

Hey cool.I don't think I have seen one of those models before.

#3 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,319 Thanks
  • 28,636 posts

Posted December 27, 2011 - 10:11 AM

Looks like a neat little ride. If he turns it into a racer, what kinda speed do you think you could get outta it? Might be fun to mow the lawn at 40 mph.

#4 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 28,513 Thanks
  • 39,734 posts

Posted December 27, 2011 - 10:20 AM

We'll have to look at it better today. Not sure which way to go to speed it up. We can change pulleys and speed the gearbox up or change chain sprockets and do it at the axle only. He's stripping the carb down now. Have to get some cleaner for it, pretty nasty.

#5 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 27,319 Thanks
  • 28,636 posts

Posted December 27, 2011 - 10:41 AM

We'll have to look at it better today. Not sure which way to go to speed it up. We can change pulleys and speed the gearbox up or change chain sprockets and do it at the axle only. He's stripping the carb down now. Have to get some cleaner for it, pretty nasty.

How bout some of each? That way you aren't really winding up the gearbox on the input and not really stressing it on the output.

#6 ducky OFFLINE  

ducky

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 564
  • 1,632 Thanks
  • 3,870 posts

Posted December 27, 2011 - 12:44 PM

That is sweet Kenny.
I found one of them in the MF version a while back and MF 6. Cute little buggers.

#7 daytime dave OFFLINE  

daytime dave

Live long and prosper

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 531
  • 4,485 Thanks
  • 6,353 posts

Posted December 27, 2011 - 03:12 PM

Pretty neat. I've never seen one. Looks like a nice one to leave in a collection.

#8 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 28,513 Thanks
  • 39,734 posts

Posted December 27, 2011 - 04:50 PM

I,personally, believe it should be left alone. But, it is not my decision. We pulled the deck, cleaned the carb, and checked to see if it would turn over on it's own. I think the starter solenoid is out of it, getting power to it, but doesn't turn over. Jumped across the terminals and it cranked. We pulled the shroud and cleaned the rust off the flywheel and coil, reset the gap, pulled the plug and reset the gap on it. Need to go get some fuel line for it and we'll be ready to see if it will start.
As I stated earlier, the pic I posted was borrowed. Here are a few of the real deal:
Image004.jpg
It seems to be in pretty good shape for an '84-'86 model. Seems to have good compression, exhaust isn't oily/black. Might be decent little tractor.

Attached Thumbnails

• Image003.jpg
  • Image002.jpg
  • Image001.jpg

#9 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 27,319 Thanks
  • 28,636 posts

Posted December 27, 2011 - 10:01 PM

Those decks will cut really well. Before you make major mods, try it for mowing once.

#10 ducky OFFLINE  

ducky

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 564
  • 1,632 Thanks
  • 3,870 posts

Posted December 27, 2011 - 11:47 PM

Kenny
The real pics look better than the intro pics. That R-11 is in really nice shape. That ole girl should really cut some grass again. Then is the thought of it running some 20+ MPH. What do you do???

#11 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 28,513 Thanks
  • 39,734 posts

Posted December 28, 2011 - 08:26 AM

After seeing how nice it is, I'm skeptical of modding it. But it's not mine. I will work with Steve and try to make sure it can be put back to 'stock' fairly easily. Main thing now is getting it to start and run. Oil looks fresh in it, very clean. Gas will get some Seafoam and MMO to help clear the fuel system. I know the rear axle bearings will need beefing up. They won't take a lot of speed nor the lateral force of turning at speed. Front spindles don't have any provision for lube, only the wheel bearings. There are a lot of things to think about, possibly 4-ply tires to handles the stresses. We'll see how it goes.

#12 Bolens 1000 ONLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 12,701 Thanks
  • 17,209 posts

Posted December 28, 2011 - 09:19 AM

Interesting tractor... I didnt even know that Ford made a small lawn tractor like that!

#13 ford boy OFFLINE  

ford boy

• Member No: 6607
  • 21 Thanks
  • 87 posts

Posted December 30, 2011 - 11:28 AM

looks to be in really good shape , oh and by the way it was made by gilson

#14 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 28,513 Thanks
  • 39,734 posts

Posted January 04, 2012 - 05:54 PM

Well, I'm happy to report the R-11 runs. Took a bit to coax her into steady idle, but she didn't let us down. Motor sounds very good, all gears work. Needs a solenoid and battery and she'll be good to go. Be nice to find a wiring diagram for her, she doesn't want to quit running when you turn the switch off. Got a couple wires that don't have anything to plug to, one kills the engine when you ground it. Oil is like new after running her for and hour or so.